Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Iron Fist on Netflix

Post by Bram »

Another Marvel themed show.

Started it a few days ago, seems pretty good. The main character, who I like, throws a lot of tantrums which makes him seem like a bit of a baby - shoving random people, breaking glasses. Villain's are good so far. Action is sometimes hokey, like a kick that wouldn't knock over a chair is supposed to fold someone in half. But for the most part it's got some good stunts.

8/10 (based on 4 episodes).
"If we are all going to be destroyed by the atomic bomb, let it find us doing sensible and human things—working, listening to music, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts—not huddled together like frightened sheep." — CS Lewis

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Iron Fist on Netflix

Post by baffled »

Think we had a thread on this show. I liked it, but it's really the weakest of the marvel shows on Netflix.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

It's dogshit, I'm afraid.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Maybe it gets worse....I'm definitely a person who's taste is not in alignment with a lot of people. I've also yet to try any of the Marvel shows: Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage. And I'm largely sick of the major Marvel movies (skipped the last Avengers film, thought Thor:Ragnarok was insipid, skipped all the Captain America's, the last Spider-Man's and so on).
"If we are all going to be destroyed by the atomic bomb, let it find us doing sensible and human things—working, listening to music, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts—not huddled together like frightened sheep." — CS Lewis

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Bram wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:32 amI've also yet to try any of the Marvel shows: Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage.
My wife & I are big fans of Jessica Jones.

Bram wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:32 amAnd I'm largely sick of the major Marvel movies (skipped the last Avengers film, thought Thor:Ragnarok was insipid, skipped all the Captain America's, the last Spider-Man's and so on).
The first 2 Cap movies are pretty good. #1 has grown on me: I didn't love it when it came out, but my son became a huge fan later, so I wound up seeing it many, many times. It stands up. #2 is excellent.

I really liked Dr Strange.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

The character is borderline retarded. If you are being evaluated by a psychiatrist, you don’t say you’re the immortal iron fist. You don’t spend decades as a warrior monk and throw tantrums. It’s bizarrely hammy and dumb.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Bram wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:32 am Maybe it gets worse....I'm definitely a person who's taste is not in alignment with a lot of people. I've also yet to try any of the Marvel shows: Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage. And I'm largely sick of the major Marvel movies (skipped the last Avengers film, thought Thor:Ragnarok was insipid, skipped all the Captain America's, the last Spider-Man's and so on).
I wanted to make it through the entire series and couldn't do it. I might still go back and finish it though.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule