Kavananananaugh: Does he get confirmed?

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Re: Kavananananaugh: Does he get confirmed?

Post by Fat Cat »

Thud wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:03 pm
Fat Cat wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:52 pm There's no question that he's far more divisive a personality than Gorsuch. So what is your bet? Does he get confirmed?
Yup. Repugs are savages.
Do you really think that the Democratic Party isn't? Or that they are cut from a less warped moral cloth?
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Most Americans are tired of the accusations, some troubling, some unbelievable, and some petty.

The Dems and the Press (same thing) overplayed their hand with Accusers #2 & #3, who diluted whatever credibility #1 had gained.
And by acquiescing to the further FBI investigation, the Republicans may have won in the court of public opinion. We'll see how it plays in the vote.

We need at least one beer-drinking bar fighter on the Supreme Court. For Diversity.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Fat Cat wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:30 pmI respect your opinion, but that's all any of that is Jim.

“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

In other news, Witchypoo and Stupid Bat are going at it.
Kathy Griffin had some sharp words for Michael Moore on Thursday, after “Fahrenheit 11/9” filmmaker implored the left to “Stop hoping & start acting!”

In a tweet published Thursday, Moore made an apparent reference to Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh, who became the subject of an FBI investigation due to a sexual misconduct accusation leveled against him by Christine Blasey Ford.

With Sen. Jeff Flake, who supported the probe, saying Thursday that the report on the FBI investigation showed “no additional corroborating information” against Kavanaugh, Moore took to Twitter criticizing “Dems & ‘liberals'” for “foolishly placing their hopes in the FBI.”

“Five days ago Dems & ‘liberals’ did the same old thing, claiming some empty ‘victory’ when Flake feigned shame, and then foolishly placing their hopes in the FBI – THE FBI! – doing an ‘investigation,'” Moore wrote.

“When is our side going to wake up and start FIGHTING? Stop hoping & start acting!” he added.

To which Griffin replied, “Michael…WE LOST.” “What more could we have done? We don’t have the Senate or the Presidency. What more can we do for god sakes?”
https://www.thewrap.com/kathy-griffin-s ... l-we-lost/
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

My read is that Democrats lose X3.

First, Kavanaugh gets confirmed.
Second, the hysterical Woman "Believers" & elevator-screamers have undercut the predicted Democrat Blue Wave. Some October Surprise.
Third, a Kavanaugh confirmation will win more conservative Never-Trumpers to the Orange Side.

W.B. Yeats

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

When I heard on the radio about Trump saying the elevator-screamers were funded by Soros I laughed at the outrageousness of the claim. Well...

The girl who was screaming at Flake in the elevator was Ana Maria Archila.

Ana Maria Archila is the co-executive director of the Center for Popular Democracy.

The Center for Popular Democracy is funded by the Open Society Foundation.

And yes, the Open Society Foundation is founded and funded by George Soros.

(•_•)
<) )\ ALL YOU
/ \

\(•_•)
( (> NEED TO KNOW
/ \

(•_•)
<) )> BITCHE$!
/ \
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

powerlifter54 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:59 pm reapthewhirlwind

Not over until it is over but pivot from sexual assault to he lied about college drinking tactics is telling.

90-10 the same people crying in the streets after Hilliary lost will be crying in a week or two.

And DiFi staff member, not the Chinese Spy but the KD Lang Lookalike, has a big problem once she gets interviewed by the FBI.
And the FBI buddy of Jim Comey who prepped Dr Ford in Rehobeth beach Delaware when the Doctor said she couldn’t fly in from California, and the dipshit who doxed the Senators, and whoever leaked the Dr Ford letter to the WaPo, and the person who suborned perjury with Leland Keyser, Bob Beckles ex wife, and the Avenatti client who claimed Kavanaugh serially raped Womyn, plus the winner who claimed Kavanaugh raped a Womyn on a boat in Rhode Island.

Not over yet. Just the voting part will be done this weekend.

Got a lot of beer, red solo cups, and ice for my celebration this weekend.

And popcorn for the rest of the year.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Would be hilarious if he turned around and sued them all.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Reshaping the courts, tax reform passed, looking more and more likely to hold the Senate— Cocaine Mitch is having a hell of a year.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Although false accusations should be pursued & prosecuted vigorously, that seems to rarely happen. Same-same for reopening the Hillary investigation.

W.B. Yeats

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Recently captured footage from inside SCOTUS.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

powerlifter54 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:09 pmGot a lot of beer, red solo cups, and ice for my celebration this weekend.
Celebration of what? Is Kavanaugh on the Supreme Court somehow good for America? Or is tweaking the libtards satisfaction enough: his actual merits or performance as a judge are irrelevant?
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Fat Cat wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:22 pmWould be hilarious if he turned around and sued them all.
Can't, judging by the "evidence" he produced during the hearing.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

JimZipCode wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:03 am
powerlifter54 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:09 pmGot a lot of beer, red solo cups, and ice for my celebration this weekend.
Celebration of what? Is Kavanaugh on the Supreme Court somehow good for America? Or is tweaking the libtards satisfaction enough: his actual merits or performance as a judge are irrelevant?
Celebration of the court becoming about the original intent again, the nonsense of the left being defeated, and basic rule of law being maintained. Those dim bulb Democrat Senators didn’t lay a glove on him in questioning. His 300 opinions are solid from the Court of Appeals. Don’t agree with all of them, but a solid judge.

Will be happy to throw ice in the air and lots of beer chilling for the red solo cups.

And no I am not tired of winning.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

JimZipCode wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:03 am
Celebration of the court becoming about the original intent again, the nonsense of the left being defeated, and basic rule of law being maintained. Those dim bulb Democrat Senators didn’t lay a glove on him in questioning. His 300 opinions are solid from the Court of Appeals. Don’t agree with all of them, but a solid judge.

Will be happy to throw ice in the air and lots of beer chilling for the red solo cups.

And no I am not tired of winning.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

powerlifter54 wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:03 amCelebration of the court becoming about the original intent again, the nonsense of the left being defeated, and basic rule of law being maintained.
Interesting.

Always surprises me to encounter a clearly intelligent person who still buys into the Right's propaganda about "original intent". Exactly which Supreme Court justices ignore original intent? Kagan? Breyer? Saint Ruth?
(I don't have anything to say to Kennedy; but of course he was a Reagan appointee.)

Seems counter-intuitive to me that "basic rule of law" is upheld & maintained by putting a dude on the Court who belligerently lied all thru his confirmation hearings.

If it's all about abortion, say so. Seems to me that most conservatives who have strong feelings about the Court are single-issue voters.

vern

Post by vern »

“Wherever the crowd goes, run the other direction. They’re always wrong.” Bukowski

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

JimZipCode wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:56 am"original intent". Exactly which Supreme Court justices ignore original intent? Kagan? Breyer? Saint Ruth?

All three. Obergefell, as an example. Originalists took one side and Kagan, Breyer, and Ginsberg took the other.

The Constitution says nothing about marriage, gay or otherwise. And until 2015, marriage was defined by individual states, which were trending toward recognition of gay marriage. The Supreme Court justices who felt no Constitutional constraint to remake a fundamental societal institution, usurped the state prerogative to define marriage. Originalist justices (Scalia, Thomas, Alito, Roberts) left the issue to individual states.

You don't have to like the difference. But don't pretend there is none.

W.B. Yeats

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

johno wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:39 amAll three. Obergefell, as an example. Originalists took one side and Kagan, Breyer, and Ginsberg took the other.

The Constitution says nothing about marriage, gay or otherwise. And until 2015, marriage was defined by individual states, which were trending toward recognition of gay marriage. The Supreme Court justices who felt no Constitutional constraint to remake a fundamental societal institution, usurped the state prerogative to define marriage. Originalist justices (Scalia, Thomas, Alito, Roberts) left the issue to individual states.
No, the religious conservatives took one side, and the majority took the other.

Marriage stopped being defined by the individual states in 1967, under Loving v WestVa. Leaving aside the opinion in Obergefell, which has some squirmy language and was written by Kennedy; the decision is firmly rooted in Loving. Poor Scalia had to twist himself into knots to sidestep his previous full-throated endorsement of Loving while opposing Obergefell. It was embarrassing.

You're talking like Obergefell was some kind of "activist" Court intervention in something that coulda/shoulda been left to the states. Not so, there was a bona fide circuit split. SCOTUS was obliged to get involved. Your precious originalists ostentatiously dressed themselves in the fig leaf of leaving the decision to individual states; but the circuit split meant one or the other was going to apply. By opposing this decision, there were effectively voting to apply the opposite decision to all states, while pretending that they weren't. (And letting the full faith & credit issue fester.) Pretty hypocritical.

In fact the "originalist" commitment to states' rights is only context dependent. Originalists want to "leave the issues to the individual states" – UNLESS! the law in question is about gun control (Heller) or about campaign finance (I lost my cite, it's not Citizens United it's the other one). Then, no sir, the states cannot be allowed to handle the issue. So-called orginalists don't have any commitment to a states-rights principle at all; they invoke one when it suits their political or religious preferences, and not when it doesn't.

johno wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:39 amYou don't have to like the difference. But don't pretend there is none.
I'm not pretending anything. I am observing that there is no "there" there. Originalism doesn't do anything. Where a legal text is clear and unambiguous, the "originalist" and every other judge reach exactly the same finding: orginalism adds nothing. Where the text is vague, originalism provides no guidance at all, and the judge applies his political affiliation and his religious creed and his prejudice. But because he knows in his heart that he's an "Originalist", he knows that he's pure-minded and his projection imust be pre-ordained by the Framers. Basically he does what he wants to do, and pretends to himself that his decision = the framer's intent.

At least other judges know what they're doing when they lean on another theory to help fill a gap, like judicial pragmatism or Posner's "economic analysis" or Breyer's confusing concept of "active liberty", or the more prosaic incremental organic sloppiness of the common law. Or even, god forbid, "justice". They know they've left the reservation, and they know they have to be careful. They might even take time enough to check a couple different theories against each other, make sure those line up in the same direction, to help assure they're not making too bad a misstep. The "originalist" judge is so blithely convinced of his rightness that he doesn't bother with such care.

The hypocrisy is kind of stunning. And yet so many lap it up. I don't get it, at all.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

powerlifter54 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:09 pm
powerlifter54 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:59 pm reapthewhirlwind

Not over until it is over but pivot from sexual assault to he lied about college drinking tactics is telling.

90-10 the same people crying in the streets after Hilliary lost will be crying in a week or two.

And DiFi staff member, not the Chinese Spy but the KD Lang Lookalike, has a big problem once she gets interviewed by the FBI.
And the FBI buddy of Jim Comey who prepped Dr Ford in Rehobeth beach Delaware when the Doctor said she couldn’t fly in from California, and the dipshit who doxed the Senators, and whoever leaked the Dr Ford letter to the WaPo, and the person who suborned perjury with Leland Keyser, Bob Beckles ex wife, and the Avenatti client who claimed Kavanaugh serially raped Womyn, plus the winner who claimed Kavanaugh raped a Womyn on a boat in Rhode Island.
So Dr. Ford was working with Comey in 2012 when she extemporaneously discussed this with her therapist? Naming Kavanaugh?

She lied on her lie detector?

Etc.

To vote for Kavanaugh, the senators either have to believe she is lying with no potential for truth, or that they just don't care about it, screw the truth. But I think saying the second one out loud is not kosher, so they basically impugn she lied under oath, and then do a faux investigation, not actually looking to determine if in fact he has a history of demeaning women (Member of the Renate alumnius? Term of endearment? Give me a #$%-ing break, that was a Trump-level pile of steaming bullshit, stated under oath) in order to give cover to Flake and Collins and Manchin.

Elections have consequences, and the repubs were always going to pick a Kavanaugh-ish SCOTUS. Now they've picked one that is openly, embarrassingly partisan, who lost his shit on a public stage in front of the senate because his feelings were being hurt, a dissembler under oath before the senate, who probably colluded with Whelan in attempting to 'out' that poor sap who was accused of being the person who attempted to rape Ford (all of which was a tacit admission that someone attempted to rape her and that memory was true) and a Trumpian groper in his youth. Every ruling where he is a deciding vote, especially if it has to do with women, will be suspect and have an asterisk next to it.

The Dems overplayed a weak hand, of course.

We'll see what Ronan Farrow comes up with.
Don’t believe everything you think.

JohnDoe
Staff Sergeant

Post by JohnDoe »

Supreme Court appointees are the distilled politics at the moment of appointment preserved in amber and broadcast forward for the life of the justice.

--Samuel Issacharoff

Issacharoff is a Yale guy who spoke this summer at a conference I attended. This statement was particularly striking, given that Kavanaugh's contentious ascendency is nothing if not the distilled politics of the moment.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

^ That's an excellent quote.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

Nobody wants to be politically incorrect but it is way more likely than not Dr Ford lied. She never said anything about K until Romney mentioned him as a possible nominee. She has nobody to corroborate anything about the party. She cooked up her story “with her beach friends” in Rehobeth beach while she supposedly was unable to fly from California to meet with Senators. And her friends were Democrat assigned and funded attorneys and surprise surprise a Comey connected ex FBI agent.

Liar Liar
Political misfire
You win some you lose some.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

The thing about Ford's accusation is it aligns with Kavanaugh's past. It would have never stuck against Gorsuch, but fits very nicely with Bart O'Kavanaugh, member of the 100 keg club, Renate alumnus, participant in the devil's triangle (does *anybody* know the rules of that drinking game?) Called out as a sloppy drunk by his Yale roommates, including his drinking buddy. There's a lot sexual assault here on campus, the huge majority being alcohol related.

Was she triggered when Romney mentioned him as a potential SCOTUS? This guy she thought she'd left behind? Sure, makes sense. She probably thought he was gone forever from her life.

Remember the recent reserve intel flag selection? Where it was the former F14 pilot who shot down the USAF guy over the Med? His career was doing fine as an intel bubba, until he was selected for a star, at which time that permanently injured USAF pilot saw his name, said WTF and called his congressperson. No flag for him.

Same with Dr, Ford.
Don’t believe everything you think.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

nafod wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:31 pm The thing about Ford's accusation is it aligns with Kavanaugh's past. It would have never stuck against Gorsuch, but fits very nicely with Bart O'Kavanaugh, member of the 100 keg club...
There's a lot sexual assault here on campus, the huge majority being alcohol related.
Heavy drinking as evidence of sexual assault is quite a stretch.

Ford had a thirty year old, vague account with no corroboration from any of the other attendees of the party.

Imagine if a bare accusation alone was enough to ruin any candidate for high public office.

W.B. Yeats