Introductory GS Materials or Recs

The only place you can learns about balls.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

JohnDoe
Staff Sergeant

Introductory GS Materials or Recs

Post by JohnDoe » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:35 pm

I'm considering what my best option is to continue to make progress and get in better shape (generalist who wants to look better and be strong-ish) with the arrival in early January of our second little boy. GS seemed like a good bang for your buck program in terms of time and equipment, but I've never really done anything with it other than playing around with the movements a time or two. I grabbed Federenko's pdf off Mega a few days ago, but I wondered what else is out there of quality? I've got a 16, 20, and 24, and based on what I've heard, one is enough when you're getting started.

Thanks.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Re: Introductory GS Materials or Recs

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:17 pm

Fedorenko's DVDs are excellent; for fitness the fundamentals one is all you need but if you want to compete the others are naturally more relevant.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:43 am

If you are interested in GS you have to learn the technique. The best bet would be to find the local IKSFA certified coach or contact Rudnev and get a few sessions. I haven't seen Fedorenko's DVDs and cannot comment on his technique tutorials, but his programming - as far as I am familiar with it - is not the best. Rudnev is the man to go to.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:11 am

You would know programming far better than I, one of my best sources was your website! That said, I think Federenko’s DVDs are devoted to technical instruction and are quite good.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:59 am

Thanks, Fatty.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:09 am

Just came across Rudnev's video on how to lower the KB during GS snatch. You see the mistake - leaning forward on the way down - in both snatch and long cycle. No English subtitles unfortunately, but a lot is clear visually.

The main idea: when lowering the bell you should lean backwards and connect the elbow with the body. As opposed to counteracting the momentum below the waist level.

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:20 pm

Smet, this is great, thanks. I have this vain dream that one day you'll have a vision of Mormon Jesus or something, and he'll command you to blog again as a service to humankind and make yourself the Pavel Tsatsouline of GS, meaning the English-language popularizer of Russian GS research. I'll even start a cult of personality and be your sycophant-in-chief.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:13 pm

Do they even have KB competitions anymore?

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:42 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:13 pm
Do they even have KB competitions anymore?
I've been looking for them--for some reason the bug has bitten me again--but they're pretty few. And yet on the webz it looks like there's no shortage of people who are into it. Seems ripe for those modern-day "postal matches" with corroborating video.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:59 am

Thanks, JasonC! You're way too kind, but I will start thinking of a uniform for the cult members.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:31 am

JasonC, inspired by you I have a new post on my blog.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:00 am

Over 40? Or at Over 50?

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:07 pm

Sangoma wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:31 am
JasonC, inspired by you I have a new post on my blog.
Урра! Урра! Урра!

:supz:

It's at Over 40, Mak. Keep the inspiration going, Smet. "Build that blog! Build that blog!"

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:40 pm

I am going to translate several Rudnev's video on technique of lifts, the most important part of GS. Feel free to comment and make suggestions.