Salmon River, Idaho

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Salmon River, Idaho

Post by Fat Cat »

Anyone ever been? I'm thinking of taking my son rafting down the middle fork next summer. I'm curious if any folks have any experience, and whether or not it would be a fun thing to do for a 12 year old boy.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Re: Salmon River, Idaho

Post by nafod »

I've heard good things about rafting there...

Don’t believe everything you think.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

That was Georgia (I checked). [-o<
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Fat Cat wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:57 pm Anyone ever been? I'm thinking of taking my son rafting down the middle fork next summer. I'm curious if any folks have any experience, and whether or not it would be a fun thing to do for a 12 year old boy.
Did it multiple times as a kid-- you'll both enjoy it as long as the water levels are right (too low = perfect seahill rafting conditions). Lots of other outdoor stuff too-- not sure if you are into it, but the fly fishing in that area is great too.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

vern

Post by vern »

I ran the Salmon Idaho marathon about seven years ago. Beautiful country, but it was hazy from forest fires while I was there.

Fishing is good, but the locals said the steelhead taste "off" that far from the ocean so they release them.

Have fun!
“Wherever the crowd goes, run the other direction. They’re always wrong.” Bukowski

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Thanks, guys. Fishing is unlikely for us, neither of know the first thing about fly fishing so we would just be about the rafting and wilderness.

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill »

Yes. A 12 year old can do it and it's a great trip. It's a deep canyon and rocks roll down into the rather smallish river. That makes certain sections very technical. Other sections, you can get out in the little plastic kayaks (rubber duckies) and safely paddle behind the main rafts.

I would suggest mid to late July. It can be cold and rainy in early June. Mosquitoes in late June. By August you're going to have smoke. It could be just a haze, it could be thick. In any case, there will be smoke in August. I think mid-July is the sweet spot. (Although I went in mid-August 8 years ago and the smoke was negligible.)

I assume you will be going with an outfitter. I went with these guys and was very pleased. Pleased with their expertise, pleased with the meals, pleased with the general camaraderie.

https://www.idahoriveradventures.com/?g ... AfEALw_wcB

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

My fondest memory of the Salmon as a kid was floating some of the milder rapids during breaks from rafting. They were fast, felt a little dangerous (even though they weren't), and we all ran back up the bank to float them as many times as we could.

Old hoodies treated with permethrin will take care of the mosquitos.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

seeahill wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:14 pm Yes. A 12 year old can do it and it's a great trip. It's a deep canyon and rocks roll down into the rather smallish river. That makes certain sections very technical. Other sections, you can get out in the little plastic kayaks (rubber duckies) and safely paddle behind the main rafts.

I would suggest mid to late July. It can be cold and rainy in early June. Mosquitoes in late June. By August you're going to have smoke. It could be just a haze, it could be thick. In any case, there will be smoke in August. I think mid-July is the sweet spot. (Although I went in mid-August 8 years ago and the smoke was negligible.)

I assume you will be going with an outfitter. I went with these guys and was very pleased. Pleased with their expertise, pleased with the meals, pleased with the general camaraderie.

https://www.idahoriveradventures.com/?g ... AfEALw_wcB
Good info. I believe the dates line up well with what you're saying; it's supposed to be July 24-31. I went ahead and booked it this weekend. The outfitter is Mountain Travel.

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill »

Good. Give us a report when you get back.