SHOW UP & DO THE WORK

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Re: SHOW UP & DO THE WORK

Post by johno » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:48 pm

nafod wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:41 pm
To quote Teddy Roosevelt, "The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..."
Thanks.

More moving boxes. And taking Zithromax & Prednisone, with some improvement in breathing & energy levels.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:58 pm

June 18 - First day back from bronchitis. Drilled Double Unders Pass from Top Guard. I was drilling with a White Belt...it's interesting how his mind didn't want to absorb the finer points of the pass, or advancing to the finish. I coached him, emphasizing that he wanted to take his pass to completion in Side Control, but he glossed over that detail. Kids.

W.B. Yeats

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:18 pm

Last night - Jiu Jitsu/Grappling: escape from bottom Side Control via hip bump & crossface. My partner: Greg the Giant.

Today - Dog walks and LaZ Strength workout (carry, pullup, squat, TBDL, and incline press X 2; finish with hangs). Later, yardio X 1 hr.

Tonight: watch Deadpool 2

W.B. Yeats

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:43 pm

Yesterday - LaZ Strength and dog walks. Work around the house...getting it ready for sale.

W.B. Yeats

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:20 pm

Life is settling down a little bit. Now, if my house will sell at asking price.... And my sarcoptic mange will clear up....

Three dogs walks (short). One people walk, medium, along Commencement Bay. Gorgeous.

Gym: Trap Bar DL's, SeeSaw Mil Presses, DB carries, ring pull ups, Russian Twists.
I forgot my wrist wraps for the DL's and my wrists are paying for it today. Feels like I got repeatedly wrist locked by Terry B.

Haven't rolled in a month. But soon.

W.B. Yeats

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:33 pm

Nov. 20 - Open mat at noon. Drilled with Holland, then rolled.

Nov. 21 - KB Armbar -> TGU up -> Windmill -> TGU down. I like this. Then curl -> MilPress 1,2,3,4 X 2.

Nov. 22 - Long walk with wife & dogs.

W.B. Yeats

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:09 pm

Dec. 17 - Class on passing hooks using knee pressure & movement. Looks simple, but is easy to miss a performance point and have it not work.

After class, asked Eric about Ankle Lock attacks from standing during a Single Leg (Treetop position). He didn't totally shut down the idea, but also demonstrated turning into a Kneebar after putting my partner on the mat.

Dec. 19 - Noon Open Mat with Holland and Josh L., starting with warmups, then warmup rolls.

Josh coached with Holland on his Hip Bump/Hipover from Bottom Guard. I learned some fine points, now I'm wondering if I can apply it from Half Guard...may have to adapt it & use inside hook to elevate & turn my partner. Similar to a Trap & Roll from Bottom Guard.

Drilled Triangles and got a jacked jaw from Josh's pressure.

Josh & I worked some Standup drills; for me: Multiple Single Leg attacks, not stopping at one attack. If my partner kicks his leg away, I simply adjust to attack his other leg that is now forward. Head position & pressure is key.
I'll drill this.

No spar at the end of session today because of my jaw.

Dec. 20 - Walk.

Dec. 21 - "Run." And mobility.

Dec. 22 - Open Mat: roll with The Man for 20-30 minutes. I learned a lot of body mechanics in some of his moves...there are no grappling terms for it, AFAIK. Just using leverage to move your partner.

Also, I did some good stuff, IMO. Back takes, passes, crucifixes once or twice. Now I have to translate that to my rolls with the mortals.

W.B. Yeats

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:41 am

Dec. 25 - Eat Prime Rib, drink red wine, and later, champagne. Brief dog walks.

Dec. 26 - Weighted vest walk with dog. First vest walk for a while, so I didn't push things.

Dec. 27 - TBDLs, Farmer's Walks & pull-ups.

Dec. 28 - After I had made a play date for noon open mat today, I got stood up like the sweaty fat girl at the Junior High Dance.

Dec. 29 - Open Mat, although the school is technically closed until next year. Only three kick boxers and two other grapplers.

So I rolled with Calli. Starting from standing, we pummeled - she fights hard for the inside space. When she squared her feet up to me, I hit a Power Double Leg, wound up in her Guard. Anyhow, the second round was much like the first one, starting from standing. This time I hit a Single Leg.

Long story short: I had wanted to hit my Guillotine more consistently and I did. I used a technique from a Matt Arroyo video, where I first got the head, then moved my lower body out from my partner to make it harder for her to jump across and to make it easier for me to place my legs. It worked great.
Also set up a Guillotine from Top Half, but not quite the Neil Melanson setup.

Jacked up my thumbs, so I drilled a little with Calli, then called it a day. It was a brief workout.

W.B. Yeats

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:59 pm

Dec. 30 I moved my Trap Bar from the gym to my deck. TBDL - 2: 5, PTTP-style

Dec. 31 I did my first run in ages; probably didn't quite cover a mile, but my stride was smooooth - I was pleased & surprised. I'll call it the David Goggins Starter Kit Run.

Different note: Today I stood up one of my partners for a play date at Ring Demon...mortifying, I've never done that before. I apologized.

And Windmills last night with light KB. I love these.

January 1 Coffee & mobility in the AM.

W.B. Yeats

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:55 am

Jan. 2-9 I was on vacation and offline. No weights, no grappling. But some pretty good mobility stuff, especially with bands.

Jan. 11
AM Trap Bar DL's, PTTP style;
PM - Open Mat Grappling: entries into leg locks; then rolling with Mike & Eddie. Eddie is one of Eric's two Brown Belts - he'd be a Black Belt in many programs and has been tapping Black Belts in tournaments for 5+ years...he's a great resource & partner. As is Mike.

Jan. 12
Open Mat - rolled with Terry B and Chris, probably 50-60 min. total. Chris was able to reverse me several times, and that bothers me. I need to figure out and patch the chink in my armor.
Another factor: both guys were in Gi. So it changed the game a bit - Chris caught me in an Omoplata that I probably would have escaped if we were both No Gi.

Jan. 15 Goblet Squat warmups, then TBDLs. Later, dog walk/jog. And brief drill with grappling dummy.

Jan 16 Open Mat with Josh.

Drilled Half Guard reverses, including an Eddie Bravo Head Shuck. It didn't work well for me, although I like the idea of ending up with a Gift Wrap...that plays right into the Arm Triangle, one of my favorite finishes. So far, the Underhook to Shuck or to Low single Leg works better for me

Drilled Standup. Josh worked Double Legs, I worked Snatch Singles. Played a game where I tapped the back of his knee with good head position and he tried to hit Doubles. I practiced alternating attack on one leg, then the other, which takes me out of the "one and done" method of attack...sort of like drilling combinations in boxing.

Jan. 17 Walk trail with Rogan interview of Gad Saad as background.

Jan. 18 Open Mat. Jumped on the FB invitation from one of the guys for NoonJitsu. Studied, then drilled Top Mount stability, then pinning an arm to either Keylock/Americana or Head & Arm Triangle.
Rolled with Tony T. "Let's start light." Then helped him drill Leg Triangle & the entry.

W.B. Yeats

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:32 am

Jan. 20
AM - brief dog walk at Pt. Defiance Park.
PM - Light KB Windmills & G Squats for warmups. Main lift: TBDLs.
Late PM - Jumpstretch band leg mobility & stretches ala Hartzell

Jan. 21 DB C&PPr and Bent Rows

Jan. 22 Tooth Extraction. A good way to start my 3 day fast.

Jan. 23 Fast only.

Jan. 24
Fast

Stretches: Thoracic, Fr. Quad, and Posture (back to corner, form an A with arms out from sides)
Walk 40 min.
DB C&PPr
Jumpstretch Bands for Neck & Lower Body

Jan. 25

Jan. 26

W.B. Yeats