The wrong guy

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Re: The wrong guy

Post by seeahill »

Shapecharge wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:53 pm Did you really mean to say 30,000 acres? That's fucking nearly 47 square miles of land. Holy shit, what does something like that cost?
Sorry, 3000.

Topic author
seeahill

Post by seeahill »

Ok, this guy is big time rich. Married into it. Likes to hunt. From Connecticut. Bought the ranch 15 years sago. You can't drive up to his place with a 6 pack to discus matters because you have to pass a no trespassing video gate and drive a almost a mile. He has an armed minion on an ATV.

He bought the land 15 years ago. Is known as a prick and blowhard. Some folks who, say, run art galleries or charitable organizations need the donations and won't mess with him.

So it's time someone did.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

You know its funny how many times I have seen this play out. Ie, there's a big obnoxious jerk that no one likes, but people continue to engage with because they feel they need to. And so the jerk continues to have influence and sway in the community. I'm not saying anyone needs to take him down, but its frustrating when people continue to engage with and even support toxic people because they have money, or are cool, or know people, or simply because people don't want to stand up for their own so-called principles.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

seeahill wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:36 am Ok, this guy is big time rich. Married into it. Likes to hunt. From Connecticut. Bought the ranch 15 years sago. You can't drive up to his place with a 6 pack to discus matters because you have to pass a no trespassing video gate and drive a almost a mile. He has an armed minion on an ATV.

He bought the land 15 years ago. Is known as a prick and blowhard. Some folks who, say, run art galleries or charitable organizations need the donations and won't mess with him.

He might own 3000 acres, but he owns zero of the airspace above it. That’s all open to the public. Get someone with a drone to go flying around checking the place out. Follow his car onto his property. When you have video of him shooting at the drone, send a copy to the police. It is a federal offense to interfere with freedom of flight.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

nafod wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:46 pm
seeahill wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:36 am Ok, this guy is big time rich. Married into it. Likes to hunt. From Connecticut. Bought the ranch 15 years sago. You can't drive up to his place with a 6 pack to discus matters because you have to pass a no trespassing video gate and drive a almost a mile. He has an armed minion on an ATV.

He might own 3000 acres, but he owns zero of the airspace above it. That’s all open to the public. Get someone with a drone to go flying around checking the place out. Follow his car onto his property. When you have video of him shooting at the drone, send a copy to the police. It is a federal offense to interfere with freedom of flight.
Our timmah nearly died when his inflatable raft tipped over in a duck pond. What makes you think he can operate a drone?
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Topic author
seeahill

Post by seeahill »

I can't operate a drone. As for airspace, a guy I met is a kite skier. Asked permission to fly over the bastard's ranch. Denied. But, as Nafod says, it's not his airspace to deny.

I've gotten a lot of feedback in town from people who have had run-ins with this guy. His MO: sits in the cab of his truck and bullies. Never gets out. Has never brandished a weapon. May be a drunk.

My plan now is, if he approaches me in his vehicle, I will immediately get out of mine.

My guess is that he will run.

I'm still taking my dogs up there twice a week or so. I haven't seen him since the incident.

It is more likely that I'll encounter him on foot. In which case, he will likely sit in his truck.

I have my phone on video so any threats will be recorded.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

In most cases, getting out of your truck is the wrong answer, tactically & legally.

One, you are leaving your "domain" and entering a public space - it can make you look like the aggressor.
Two, you can have your weapon to hand and out of sight inside your truck. Outside, that would be brandishing.
Three, his truck is a weapon and yours is your armor. Don't get squished.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

johno wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:26 pm In most cases, getting out of your truck is the wrong answer, tactically & legally.

One, you are leaving your "domain" and entering a public space - it can make you look like the aggressor.
Two, you can have your weapon to hand and out of sight inside your truck. Outside, that would be brandishing.
Three, his truck is a weapon and yours is your armor. Don't get squished.
Great points. To build on this a bit:
1. Park so you can leave quickly if necessary. You want to limit his ability to box you in and you don't want to back up if you need to leave. Make sure you have good visibility in multiple directions.
2. Get a higher end dashcam and learn to use it (they're available for under $300). If you park properly, you should be in position to record what he's doing. If a confrontation does occur, make sure you're either inside your vehicle or within the visibility of the dashcam as much as possible. My guess is that a dashcam is both more convenient, easier to use, less likely to have battery problems, and will appear less threatening than recording with your cell phone.
3. You can always try and make nice by sending him anonymous gifts.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Topic author
seeahill

Post by seeahill »

Johno and Turd,
Good points. I'll stay in my vehicle. But the deal is that I walk up there. That's the whole point. I might encounter him a couple of miles from my truck.

It's a big sloping grassland. You can see for Miles.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Tim I suggest you immediately enroll in a jiujitsu class since that's the go to solution for any person susceptible to a physical altercation.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Can’t he just wear his pajamas?
Don’t believe everything you think.