Reload by Pavel

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Reload by Pavel

Post by Fat Cat » Tue May 14, 2019 12:25 am

Where do you go next when your strength gains hit the wall?

You learned your way around the barbell. And made quick gains as a beginner.

Then you moved on to some reliable classic program, like 5×5. You put meat on your bones and pounds on your lifts.

But, finally, you hit the wall. How do you break through it?

Your best move is to find an expert coach to individualize your loads. If that is not an option, this purposefully concise book is your answer. Reload takes one of history’s most successful strength training methodologies and shows you how to customize it—and makes it nearly foolproof.

Powerlifting “cycling” was born in the 1970s as a joint Russian-American venture. It produced some of the strongest men in history. Other than the Soviet Olympic weightlifting system of the same vintage, no other method has ever asserted such decisive and lasting dominance on the lifting platform.

At StrongFirst, we enjoy the challenge of polishing the chrome of classic methods. We stand by “cycling” as one of the best ways to build barbell strength. We also recognize that even timeless methods benefit from periodic updates.

Cycling works great for many. But it can fail others by imposing a cookie-cutter rhythm of progression that does not fit the individual athlete. To tackle this pitfall, StrongFirst developed a series of straightforward tests and instructions for you to build your own custom power cycle, while respecting the original cycling system’s spirit and simplicity. Test after test, Reload delivered.

Get your barbell strength blueprint:

Build a custom power cycle that matches your rate of adaptation—almost guaranteed to prevent undertraining or overtraining.
Choose your 2 to 5 lifts to get strong in: Squat, Bench Press, Deadlift, Military Press, Barbell Row.
Select your perfect assistance exercises—or not to remain a minimalist.
Rinse and repeat…

Barbell power to you!

https://www.strongfirst.com/community/t ... ine.13640/
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Re: Reload by Pavel

Post by Fat Cat » Tue May 14, 2019 12:25 am

$5.99 so you know DuCane ain't involved! The dick sucking at StrongFirst is already in overdrive.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue May 14, 2019 3:49 am

I miss the insane John Ducane hyperbolic ad copy :(
"If you live through defeat, you are not defeated. If you are beaten but acquire wisdom, you have won." - RZA

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Tue May 14, 2019 3:15 pm

I was initially not impressed, but upon rereading it it is useful. Some good details on planning weights and progressions.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue May 14, 2019 5:36 pm

How long is it? And what's the signal-to-noise ratio? I honestly think that Pavel has some good works but that much of it could be condensed into a much tidier package. In fact, if you took all of Pav's works, you could probably boil them down to one great book with stretching, joint-mobility, kettlebells, barbell programming each deserving a chapter.

Hanglow Joe
Staff Sergeant

Post by Hanglow Joe » Tue May 14, 2019 7:46 pm

Frito Bandito, Director of Community Involvement. If this was Ducane, it would be 72 pages, 36 of ad copy, $29.99...

Is there anything left to write about anymore? I saw Dan John, who's a wealth of great information has another book out. Is it just product at this point or is there anything groundbreaking?

What was funny was both Dan and Mike Mahler would argue with the people who gave their books bad reviews on Amazon. Why bother? You're not going to change their minds.

Was there anything more ridiculous the black and white photos of guys doing swings and getups like they were special forces dressed up in black with masks and shit?

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue May 14, 2019 8:19 pm

Hanglow Joe wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:46 pm
Was there anything more ridiculous the black and white photos of guys doing swings and getups like they were special forces dressed up in black with masks and shit?
That was from Simple and Sinister, right? Hahaha so cringey.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Wed May 15, 2019 1:33 am

I must say, Pavel's writings are enjoyable more often than not. He likes theory, which connects with the nerd in me. Dick sucking atmosphere on Strong First (on top of PC) is nauseating though. The only more nauseating place for me is Starting Strength forum.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed May 15, 2019 5:25 pm

I think Pav has shown his worth over the years. It just comes with a wagonload of horse shit.