Word of the Day

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Word of the Day

Post by Bram »

ultracrepidarian

Expressing opinions on matters outside the scope of one's knowledge or expertise.
"If we are all going to be destroyed by the atomic bomb, let it find us doing sensible and human things—working, listening to music, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts—not huddled together like frightened sheep." — CS Lewis

JimZipCode

Re: Word of the Day

Post by JimZipCode »

You're an epistemophiliac.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Hahah, good one!
"If we are all going to be destroyed by the atomic bomb, let it find us doing sensible and human things—working, listening to music, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts—not huddled together like frightened sheep." — CS Lewis

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

Also pronounced IN-TER-NET.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

merkin

an artificial covering of hair for the pubic area

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

mot juste

Pronounced mō ˈZHo͞ost

the exact, appropriate word.

"that's the mot juste, I think"

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

Pedophrasty

Definition: Argument involving children to prop up a rationalization and make the opponent look like an asshole, as people are defenseless and suspend all skepticism in front of suffering children: nobody has the heart to question the authenticity or source of the reporting. Often done with the aid of pictures.

Can also describe the exploitation of babies by professional beggars who rent them from their parents and use them as potent appendage in their trade(remember that children tend to grow and need to be replaced).

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Sangoma, can you use pedophrasty in a sentence?

ne plus ul·tra

Pronounced nā ˌplo͝os ˈo͝oltrə/

the perfect or most extreme example of its kind; the ultimate.

The wave did not qualify as mind-blowingly huge, and Kennelly did not get barreled, a.k.a. tubed, the ne plus ultra of the sport, by riding inside the whirling cylinder created when the lip of the wave curls over and forms a tunnel before collapsing.

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

mondegreen

a misunderstood or misinterpreted word or phrase resulting from a mishearing of the lyrics of a song

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

elision

noun
the omission of a sound or syllable when speaking (as in I'm, let's).
an omission of a passage in a book, speech, or film.
"the movie's elisions and distortions have been carefully thought out"

The opposite of elision is

epenthesis

whereby sounds are inserted into a word, as in American English ath[ə]lete, real[ə]tor.

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

ve·rid·i·cal
/vəˈridək(ə)l/
adjectiveFORMAL
adjective: veridical
truthful.
coinciding with reality.

I'm mainly into words that are redundant with much simpler to remember ones.

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

bo·na fi·des

a person's honesty and sincerity of intention.

"he went to great lengths to establish his liberal bona fides"

documentary evidence showing a person's legitimacy; credentials.

"are you satisfied with my bona fides?

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill »

Crepuscular, a form of dim light, twilight. If you live where I do, you are acutely aware that bears are crepuscular. They are most active at dusk and dawn. Therefore, I have chosen to use the word as a threat. "Imma get crepuscular on your ass."

As Fatty says, class.