Stranger Things

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Stranger Things

Post by Bram »

For whatever reason, I've had no interest in this show, even as it's blown up in the media.

I even struggled through the first episode a couple years ago and found it disposable.

But, I watched it on Saturday of the past weekend and was immediately hooked. So far, knocked out the first 5 episodes.

Tight pacing, good characters, an aura of suspense/horror, mysteries continuing to unfold....plus it's a great homage to the 80's with synth-heavy music, awesome props and period costumes, etc.

From what I hear the show dips in the second season, but so far 10/10. On Netflix.
"If we are all going to be destroyed by the atomic bomb, let it find us doing sensible and human things—working, listening to music, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts—not huddled together like frightened sheep." — CS Lewis

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Stranger Things

Post by Shapecharge »

Bram, same...the wife and I started watching it last week. I saw something a few days ago that was critical of the series relative to all the smoking. Hilarious...we can recreate the past only so long as we avoid the vices of that time. Makes sense.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Read complaints about how Hopper developed in S3 that I somewhat agree with, but overall very solid.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

Fantastic season!

terra

Post by terra »

If you like 'Stranger Things', I Strongly recommend 'Black Spot'. I found the later to be a more nuanced, mature, and stylistic version of 'Stranger Things'.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boris

Post by Boris »

I'm a fan even though it takes a lot for me to give a thumbs up on a tv-series.

Wynona Rider + 'IT' meets Steven Spielberg + Dungeons and Dragons and assorted 80s nostalgia = a win for me.

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

So I finished the show yesterday and am gonna post my thoughts. BTW, at 1:12:00 of the Season 3 finale, there's some extra footage in the credits.

SPOILERS AND CRITICISM INCOMING

Positives

First up, I just want to talk about the outstanding production values -- it looks like an 80's movie, it sounds like an 80's movie, the special effects are top notch. They nailed the outfits, the mall, the arcade, the lighting, etc. There's a scene where Hopper sprays the guards with bullets that looks just like Jack Burton in "Big Trouble in Little China." Murray's mic'd up like Bruce Willis in "Die Hard."

Second, great casting. While there are a few weaker actors, almost everyone is excellent, with there's great chemistry on-screen. It's pretty surprising and is a testament to money, vision and luck. In particular, Dusty and Steve's interactions (love the lightsaber handshake), Murray, Hopper, Eleven, and even Sean Astin as Bob.

Going back to the camera work, I watched all the extras, and they got the steadi-cam operator from Pulp Fiction and their principal camera guy is outstanding too. Out of all the extras this one I thought gave the most insight into what a massive, ground-up undertaking this was.

The story work in Episodes 1-5, Season 1. Super tight, nothing wasted.

Negatives

Starting especially in Season 2 -- insane plot armor. The main characters might take 20 hard punches while unconscious, and a few minutes later are back to 100%. The problem with plot armor is that, for me, it disengages you from fear, or suspense, or anything truly consequential happening. If your heroes are fine, no matter what, then the dramatic tension gets dissipated. This gets even worse in Season 3. Now, you might have B characters get axed, but if you put the mains in danger and no matter what they get out, it makes the show seem fake.

Starting with Episode 6 of Season 1 and continuing through the rest of the show -- wasted storylines and forced emotional tension. There's an entire episode in Season 2, that could have been cut and the story wouldn't have been changed, at all. Constantly creating drama between the heroes also just seemed like fluff, and felt forced. Now they hate each other, now they're friends, now they're separated, now they're not.

Lastly, as the son of a practical special effects worker (my Dad spent 20 years working on Star Wars, Indiana Jones, etc.), the show shifted from 95% practical effects in Season 1 (the creators words), to a lot of CGI in the later season. The problem with CGI is that unless done insanely well, it disengages me from the reality of the world they are creating. The effects are top-notch, but still lack the visceral appeal of the first season.

Season 1 - Episodes 1-5 A
Season 1 - Episodes 6-8 B+/A-
Season 2 - B
Season 3 - B
"If we are all going to be destroyed by the atomic bomb, let it find us doing sensible and human things—working, listening to music, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts—not huddled together like frightened sheep." — CS Lewis