Ancestry sites and hidden relatives

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Ancestry sites and hidden relatives

Post by nafod »

My daughter did 23andMe, along with my mom. A week or so ago she was contacted by someone who came up as a relative. Turns out my grandfather on mom’s side (not the highest quality person) had fathered a kid who was then abandoned and adopted, and while he grew up in a good family, had always wondered about his past. Spent his life searching for something, anything. Now finally, in his mid-60s, he knows who his father was.

Pretty cool we were able to help him. I can’t imagine what it was like for him to finally learn of his past. Very neat.
Don’t believe everything you think.

DrDonkeyLove...
Sarge

Re: Ancestry sites and hidden relatives

Post by DrDonkeyLove... »

Good for him. He's obviously been at this for a while.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

I did 23andMe early on when it was gifted to me and before they put disclaimers like, "Yeah, we know you're supposed to be Italian, Don Bongino, but you are black. Talk to mom." No genetic disorders or ancestral surprises, and it ID'd cousins who'd done it.

I did find odd scammers trying to collect information for strange reasons. Not sure what that was about.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

if it were possible, I have less than zero interest in any of it.

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Shape, I know who your father is

Don’t believe everything you think.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Ha! That's exactly why! I know there's all kinds of shit out there and at my age I don't need any new friends or relatives.

Hebrew Hammer
Chief Rabbi

Post by Hebrew Hammer »

95% of you will find you have Jewish ancestors and we can start calling each other mishpacha

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

For you (fellow) cheap bastards I found this interesting tidbit.
On Monday (July 22) the Wall Street Journal reported that in May, the United States Internal Revenue Service decided the health portion of 23andMe’s $199 health and ancestry DNA analysis counts as medical care. Although the company doesn’t sell its health-risk test alone—it comes in a bundle with ancestry testing—customers who purchase the kit in 2019 can use their flexible or health spending accounts to cover up to $117.74 of the total cost.

The IRS decision reflects the many identities of the company: It’s part science, part entertainment, and increasingly, part health care. Of the dozens of genetic testing companies operating in the US, the Food and Drug Administration has given only 23andMe approval to inform customers directly (rather than through a health care provider) whether or not they have a handful of mutations that put them at a higher risk of developing 11 conditions, including breast cancer and Alzheimer’s disease. This latest decision bolsters the idea that direct-to-consumer genetic tests aren’t just for fun—they’re yet another player in the US health care arena.
https://qz.com/1672148/the-irs-decided- ... ical-care/
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

And this thread reminds me of one of the all time IGx classics:
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Good lawdy!!! I just busted a gut over that...forgot all about that. Fucking absolutely hilarious!! Those were good times.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw »

Frankly, I couldn't give a shit about my ancestry. I have zero interest in knowing any long-lost relatives. Blood ties have never meant anything to me.
You ever seen a cycling plumber who wrestles with small calves, forearms and neck? Didn't think so.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

SubClaw wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:56 pm Frankly, I couldn't give a shit about my ancestry. I have zero interest in knowing any long-lost relatives. Blood ties have never meant anything to me.
Well the joke's on you because not only did I find out that I am related to Nigerian royalty, but as soon as I wire them a small retainer and my banking information, my $507,826,908 inheritance is going to be transferred to my account.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:08 am I did 23andMe early on when it was gifted to me and before they put disclaimers like, "Yeah, we know you're supposed to be Italian, Don Bongino, but you are black. Talk to mom." No genetic disorders or ancestral surprises, and it ID'd cousins who'd done it.

I did find odd scammers trying to collect information for strange reasons. Not sure what that was about.
They are looking for perfect match organ donors?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp-pU8TFsg0
Don't like yourself too much.