Mountain Bike Thread

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

riotboo

Re: Mountain Bike Thread

Post by riotboo »

I've rented a bike from the Hub, but I've stuck to Dupont and Bent Creek.

Check the MTB forum on reddit, usually someone posts a Pisgah route question 1-2 times a month.

Might also ask here

http://www.tarheeltrailblazers.com/cgi- ... il_Talk/90

Charlotte based, but folks go to wnc all the time.

Topic author
Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

Thanks. I am renting from the Hub. Have a thread over on MTBR, was just seeing if anyone here had thoughts since I'm back here again.
Ed Zachary wrote:Best meat rub ever is Jergen's.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

https://www.redbull.com/us-en/san-diego-best-city-mtb

Haven't ever rode in San Diego, but grew up mountain biking and go when I visit family and friends. Gotta check out Noble Canyon.
"If we are all going to be destroyed by the atomic bomb, let it find us doing sensible and human things—working, listening to music, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts—not huddled together like frightened sheep." — CS Lewis

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

The Hub is a really cool shop. Picked up some stuff from there when I rode Dupont in late summer of last year.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

Fuzzy, what did you end up renting and what trails did you ride at Pisgah? Like I mentioned above, I rode Dupont last year and hope to get to Pisgah at some point, but I really want to ride Wilson's Creek.

While I love my Transition Scout, I still have an affinity for Santa Cruz and would love to own a Nomad, even though it's way overkill for my area. I'm looking at getting a Patrol or possibly a Bronson whenever I decide to get a new bike. Commencal are making some really nice bikes these days along with Pivot. I like the Kona Process and Evil makes some really sweet bikes too.

Topic author
Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

I am headed down this week. I'll try to take some pics. Plan is to ride up Avery Creek, down Bennet, up Clawhammer down Black Mountain. We'll see if I have anything left after that.

I rented a 2018 Bronson (edit) , before the shock position change, up at Santa's Village bike park near big bear last year. It was nice, not set up particularly well for me tho. Super bouncy.

I have read the Transitions tend to pedal well due to the steep seat tube angle. Something SC hasn't done yet. I have two friends in LA on 2018 Scouts and they both love them. Have you checked out the guerilla gravity bikes?

Topic author
Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

Forgot to post this little guy... Built up to ride this past winter. Didn't see nearly enough rides. Hoping I can do some bikepacking w new tires this summer.

Surly Wednesday w Dillinger 4s studded for winter
Attachments
0203191015_HDR-1052x886.jpg
0203191015_HDR-1052x886.jpg (355.08 KiB) Viewed 7751 times

riotboo

Post by riotboo »

did you get rained out? Saw the storms on the radar.

Topic author
Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

I did not get rained out. Thursday was beautiful. And definitely one of the best rides of my life.

The Sentinel is a siiiick ride, needs some speed to feel playful but it pedaled up great and bombed down. I had to walk two sections of upper Bennet (the hairpin and the sketchy drop) but the rest of the ride was so awesome. Chunky, small drops, roots, little whoops, wall berms, nothing overly steep like the LA fall line riding, but still super fast. Would go back asap.
Attachments
resize1.540.jpg
resize1.540.jpg (148.46 KiB) Viewed 7699 times
0502191316-540x405.jpg
0502191316-540x405.jpg (132.23 KiB) Viewed 7699 times
IMG_20190502_154608_038-540x540.jpg
IMG_20190502_154608_038-540x540.jpg (88.8 KiB) Viewed 7699 times

Topic author
Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

Couple more
Attachments
Screenshot_2019-05-02-13-56-03~2-558x476.png
Screenshot_2019-05-02-13-56-03~2-558x476.png (226.16 KiB) Viewed 7697 times
IMG_20190502_154611_640-540x540.jpg
IMG_20190502_154611_640-540x540.jpg (175.73 KiB) Viewed 7697 times

riotboo

Post by riotboo »

nice!

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

I'm glad you got to ride! And I've been drooling over the Sentinel for a long time. If it wasn't overkill for where I live I would seriously consider getting one.

Glad everything worked out for you!

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

After trying to get basically this bike for the past 5 years, and wanting one for the past 10, I got this yesterday:

Described as a BMX bike for dad. 26" tires, so it's a bigger version of a BMX 24" cruiser (which I rode obsessively when I was 19, 4 inches shorter, and which is too damn small for me now).

Fell in love with it instantly. Hauls ass and nimble. For commuting to work, I think it'll be perfect.

On my old BMX 24" I used to mountain bike, up fairly long hills, hoping to do a bit of that on this bike too.
"If we are all going to be destroyed by the atomic bomb, let it find us doing sensible and human things—working, listening to music, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts—not huddled together like frightened sheep." — CS Lewis

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Fuzzy, those look like awesome trails. Bram, nice ride!

Just picked up a new gravel bike to replace my cross bike. We have endless gravel where I live. Got a Giant Revolt. Carbon frame, hydraulic disk brakes, 40 mm tires. I’m digging it. It can handle double track and not too dicey single track just fine too.

Today I did a 28 mile ride with 2800’ of climbing, all gravel. Will Mtbike tomorrow.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Topic author
Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

Bram wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:24 pm After trying to get basically this bike for the past 5 years, and wanting one for the past 10, I got this yesterday:

Described as a BMX bike for dad. 26" tires, so it's a bigger version of a BMX 24" cruiser (which I rode obsessively when I was 19, 4 inches shorter, and which is too damn small for me now).

Fell in love with it instantly. Hauls ass and nimble. For commuting to work, I think it'll be perfect.

On my old BMX 24" I used to mountain bike, up fairly long hills, hoping to do a bit of that on this bike too.
That bike looks super fun. I am trying to get my hands on the Cult 14" bmx for my son, out of stock everywhere.

Enjoy the new ride!

Topic author
Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

nafod wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:39 pm Fuzzy, those look like awesome trails. Bram, nice ride!

Just picked up a new gravel bike to replace my cross bike. We have endless gravel where I live. Got a Giant Revolt. Carbon frame, hydraulic disk brakes, 40 mm tires. I’m digging it. It can handle double track and not too dicey single track just fine too.

Today I did a 28 mile ride with 2800’ of climbing, all gravel. Will Mtbike tomorrow.
Damn, those Giants are a lot of bike for the money. Did you get the 1x or the double? Tons of clearance too

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Thanks Fuzzy and Nafod!

Trying to get 52 bike rides to work in by the end of this year, starting when I got the bike on Friday.

I have a short commute, but my other bike is a very clunky beach cruiser and no fun to commute on.

Today's my first trip, very enjoyable.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Fuzzy Dunlop wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:07 pm
Damn, those Giants are a lot of bike for the money. Did you get the 1x or the double? Tons of clearance too
2x11

I also looked at a Cannondale Topstone 105, but they had the Giant in the right size at the LBS, so Giant it was. I like the color scheme, to boot.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

riotboo

Post by riotboo »

Picked up this on consignment; moving slowly to the fat side. Nearly lost it when my lbs took 2 weeks to swap out the crank set, only to tell me they ordered the wrong ones :rolleyes: Taking it to Pivot shop later this week.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

riotboo wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:06 pm Picked up this on consignment; moving slowly to the fat side. Nearly lost it when my lbs took 2 weeks to swap out the crank set, only to tell me they ordered the wrong ones :rolleyes: Taking it to Pivot shop later this week.
Sweet bike :supz: .
With so many BB and axle standards now it's getting ridiculously hard to know what to order. I still don't like press fit bottom bracket bearings. I think BB technology peaked with the external threaded cups. Nice and stiff but didn't creak every time it thought about getting wet.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

riotboo

Post by riotboo »

Very true. I talked to Pivot customer support yesterday, and I'm still confused. Dub super boost.

Topic author
Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

Bram wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:49 am
This video so fuckin rad. I've been following this kid Jasper Penton on IG, similar swaggy way of tossing the bike around. Wish I had that type of control. I just TRUCK through shit.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

I'll check out Jasper Penton, the ability level is so out there right now. It's almost like watching aliens.