"The Boys" on Amazon Prime

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

"The Boys" on Amazon Prime

Post by Shapecharge »

So imagine a world with super heroes but they're celebrities that also belong to a corporation that hires our their services...and not all of them are benevolent and kind. Eight episodes. Don't any of you super-critics shit on this like you tried to do and failed on my other review. Shape gives this series a very firm but loving two thumbs in with a pipe cleaner dipped in jalapeno juice down the pee hole for the smartasses that just couldn't get Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Re: "The Boys" on Amazon Prime

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

This was a fun show. It helps to manage expectations, like with early HBO/Showtime series before they were crushing it.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Topic author
Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Stephen you don't have to use the pipe cleaner.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

You're going to need some imperfect allies on this one.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

It looks violent.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Topic author
Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

It is extremely so Mak. And the Superman-like guy called "The Homelander" is an obsequious, deviant, sinister, creepy guy of the nth degree. Just think about it...what if Superman decided he wasn't about truth, justice, and the American-way and he was in it all for himself? Yeah, everybody figured out the kryptonite angle but in this series this guy has no known weakness.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

How is it something fundamentally different from Watchmen or some of the other meta-hero works that have come before it?
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw »

Fat Cat wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:05 pm How is it something fundamentally different from Watchmen or some of the other meta-hero works that have come before it?
The main difference is that Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, Frank Miller and Grant Morrison truly love the superhero genre and, after they deconstructed it, they created some beautiful stories.

Meanwhile, Garth Ennis hates superheroes in any form. There is no deconstruction, no hidden homage, just bile, hatred and despise. And he is not shy about his feelings; there are many interviews where he explicitly shows his contempt.

That gets old pretty soon. Because the guy made a career out of that thing he despises, but he keeps telling the same hate-stories over and over.

The Amazon show is kind of okay (the comic book it's based on is shit). It reminds me of the magnificent Marshall Law, by Pat Mills and Kevin O'Neill and that's high praise.
You ever seen a cycling plumber who wrestles with small calves, forearms and neck? Didn't think so.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Damned by faint praise.

Topic author
Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

I appreciate DewClaw's fascinating breakdown based on his six week film history course at Pigknuckle State. No one gives two shits about the writer's motivation. The fucking series is more than "okay". The comment about The Watchmen was a good one but DewClaw needs to use the pipecleaner.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

I'm afraid a retread of comic book tropes fueled by spite and violence isn't going to make my list.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw »

Shapecharge wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:25 pm I appreciate DewClaw's fascinating breakdown based on his six week film history course at Pigknuckle State. No one gives two shits about the writer's motivation. The fucking series is more than "okay". The comment about The Watchmen was a good one but DewClaw needs to use the pipecleaner.
I'm not gonna go camping with you. :finga:
You ever seen a cycling plumber who wrestles with small calves, forearms and neck? Didn't think so.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Ennis' distaste for typical superhero tropes is well known.

Ergo him doing The Preacher and The Boys, and also Crossed.

IMO The Boy's is a realistic extrapolation of how the whole super hero thing would pan out, corruption, perversion, etc

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:23 pm Ennis' distaste for typical superhero tropes is well known.

IMO The Boy's is a realistic extrapolation of how the whole super hero thing would pan out, corruption, perversion, etc
You should give Marshall Law a try. It's brilliant and clever.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:23 pm Ennis' distaste for typical superhero tropes is well known.

Crossed? It was much too violent for me.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

I love this show.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Crossed's gore kinda turned me off at first. but the initial online comic was just a master class in characters you hope will die