Working Out, Surfing and Meditating

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

motherjuggs&speed
Gunny

Re: Working Out, Surfing and Meditating

Post by motherjuggs&speed » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:12 am

For building good mantras or tips, it's helpful to look at what is best practice in domains where the stakes are high. For example I read somewhere that the Secret Service has codes for everything but their code word for gun is "gun". No thought, no "oh shit what's the code again", no "that's not the right code dummy", no one forgetting what code purple or whatevs means, they just blurt out what the thing is and everyone knows what they mean. The aviation industry has apparently changed procedures so that "takeoff" is only used on mic when clearing a plane to push the throttles and go right then, because a pilot was told, "wait for takeoff because there's a plane crossing the runway" and part of that got lost, with a lot of people dying as a result. Likewise "souls on board", meaning total people, not going back and forth with x passengers, y crew, how many total? yada yada when seconds count.

A few examples I've come across, maybe they will help with creating triggers or reminders --

Good to go. The Marine Corp uses this. Can you do the thing if we say do that thing? Not necessarily perfectly but make it happen.

Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target. Not just, "try not to shoot anyone accidentally".

Look where you want to go. This from a really good maintain biker. It came to mind when I needed it and I did that and it saved me from getting hurt bad.

Work fast, throw strikes, change speeds. Pitchers tend to overthink things, the golden rules help them do what's important.

Plan the dive and dive the plan.

You get the idea. I'm constantly trying to build my own, wish I could give you some to try out but it's a work in progress.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:33 am

First off, thank you motherjuggs&speed for the multiple thoughtful comments!

Second, I randomly was going to do a short entry that gels with what you're talking about.

Third, if anyone is interested, two comments ago motherjuggs&speed mentioned this book (which I plan to investigate):

https://www.amazon.com/Turning-Pro-Inne ... 1936891034

I haven't considered the "What would a pro do?" approach to coming up with these focal points, but I think that's a great starting point!

----

Today (Saturday), I had two exceptional surfing sessions.

I stuck with what seems to be my best surfing mantra:

"feel, connect, be present, flow, style, look, rhythm, have fun, relax, don't hurry"

There were times today where my mind wandered, or my self-critic reared it's head, but I tried to stick with the process (my mantra; my training in the gym; selecting my surf spots based on the tide, wind, and swell; choosing my board based on feel; choosing where I waited for the waves based on experience and adapting to the day).

I pulled off one of my best frontside turns that I ever have, and my first backside carve.
I chose spots (which my friends dismissed) based on my research of combo swells and tide heights.
As well as waited until when I estimated the crowds would disappear.

It really was a 10/10 day. 4.5 hours, lots of good waves, but also lots of patiently waiting for the extra big, special waves.

----

But that's not all of the story, in direct response to motherjuggs&speed, I have also implemented a series of mantras in other things in life, with great success. Here they are:

Personal Training: be smart, be funny, take care
Disagreements: dialogue, kindness, compassion
Belongings: clean, spark joy
"If we just work hard without complaining, we can become one with Heaven and Earth." - Zen proverb

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:54 pm

Saturday, April 11th

Felt like returning to this log....

Meditation 20 minutes + Connecting to Nature 10 minutes

----

Dynamic Warm-Up: bunch of joint circles (wrist, knees, hips, etc.) and a few martial arts drills

Band Reverse Fly High-Low x 20 x 2 sets
and
Band Reverse Fly Medium x 20 x 2 sets

Chin-Ups x 10, 7, 6, 5
and
Alt. Leg Raises x 15 each side x 4 sets

Bodyweight Towel Rows x 20, 15, 15, 20
and
Crunches x 40 x 4 sets

Band Curls x 20 x 4 sets
and
Sahrmann Exercise Level 2 x 15 each x 4 sets

Stretching and Yoga 15 minutes
"If we just work hard without complaining, we can become one with Heaven and Earth." - Zen proverb

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:20 pm

Monday, April 13th

Dynamic Warm-Up: did about fifteen different exercises. Very much enjoyed this sequence (all done for 10 reps each direction/leg): foot flat then lift toes, then scrunch them; ankle circles in and out; knee circles; hip circles; standing twist; arm swings; rotation with 1-arm swing; leg swing forwards; leg swing sideways. Would still like to add more upper body movements, but that first part is great!

Push-Ups x 20, 15, 10

Close-Grip Push-Ups x 7, 5, 5

Modified Handstand Push-Ups x 20 x 3 sets [focusing on contracting upper back muscles]

Band Front Delt Raises x 20 x 2 sets
and
Band Side Delt Raises x 20 x 2 sets
and
Band Rear Delt Raises x 20 x 2 sets

Band Kickbacks x 15, 12, 12
and
Band Overhead Triceps Extensions x 15, 12, 12

Side Plank w/ Straight Supporting Arm and TVA Contraction x 45 seconds each side x 3 sets

Band External Rotation Elbow by Side x 20 each x 2 sets

Band Row to External Rotation x 20 x 2 sets

Yoga 15 minutes

Edits: Felt this wasn't challenging enough. So added close-grip push-ups, the delt raise circuit, and overhead triceps.
Last edited by Bram on Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:44 pm

No surfing allowed right now, huh?
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:38 am

Fat Cat wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:44 pm
No surfing allowed right now, huh?
Not allowed, but....

Been skateboarding this rather difficult hill by my house pretty much daily. It mirrors the same body mechanics as surfing. And I went out at 11:30 the other night to surf by the full moon, but the conditions were really shitty.

No stress though, this will get figured out or I'll die. Yeew.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:40 pm

That we will. I was laughing at video of sheriffs chasing paddle-boarders by the Santa Monica pier, tho. Interesting priorities.
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

motherjuggs&speed
Gunny

Post by motherjuggs&speed » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:48 pm

"But we are practicing social distancing -- we're way farther apart than six feet!"

motherjuggs&speed
Gunny

Post by motherjuggs&speed » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:51 pm

I never thought of this before but why isn't night vision surfing a thing?

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:33 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:40 pm
That we will. I was laughing at video of sheriffs chasing paddle-boarders by the Santa Monica pier, tho. Interesting priorities.
Haha, the waves looked super fun in that video. But doing it in the middle of the day is inviting trouble.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:36 pm

motherjuggs&speed wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:51 pm
I never thought of this before but why isn't night vision surfing a thing?
You mean like wearing giant goggles? Haha, I would feel claustrophobic being out with them on.

I've surfed until well after sunset quite a few times, if the moon comes up it can be a spectacular experience. It's also very hard to know what is going on and is more likely to be sketchy and nerve-wracking than pleasant.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:41 pm

Wednesday, April 15th

Surfing 1 hour

Was in the water by 5:45 a.m.

It was eerie in the dawn being out by myself. Surfed like shit, but did manage one bottom turn where I compressed my legs (which has been my main focus when skateboarding the past few weeks). That set me up for a more powerful top-turn than normal.

----

Abs

Brace Core then Alt. Knee Raises x 3 sets
Brace Core then Arm Raises x 3 sets
Brace Core then L-Sit x 3 sets

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:46 pm

Thursday, April 16th

Surfing 1 hour

In the water by 5:50 this morning. Already 4 people out. Super conditions: 4-7 foot faces, great shape! After yesterday's shit surf, it was a ton of fun to get solid waves to play in.

Beach Meditation 20 minutes

----

Was thinking yesterday about some of the people I admire and their similarities: Stephanie Gilmore and Sky Brown (pro surfers), CC Tsai (cartoonist), Weird Al, Josh Waitzkin (chess player and martial artist). They're all excellent at what they do, but they also have very positive energy that they put into the world.

Stephanie is interesting in particular because she's a 7x World Champ, insanely competitive, and still has a heart of gold. I believe I've always equated competitiveness and success with being selfish and ruthless.

And I thought about the fact that I can be a huge asshole to people, or bitch about stuff that I have zero control over. So today, I was determined not to do that. There's a guy who surfs this one break, who's known to be arrogant and ignores you unless you're cool and a good surfer (a bunch of my friends talk bad about him regularly). Well, he was out this morning, and I gave him genuine compliments, and when he missed a wave, I'd call him into the next one.

The difference between putting good vibes out vs. waiting to receive them was instant. Instead of spending the time between sets maybe judging this guy, I just felt happy and peaceful.
Last edited by Bram on Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:37 am

Dicking around on YouTube, I stumbled across this video of surf-style skateboarders from Poland.

A number of people shown in that vid skate and surf exactly like how I do. Specifically from 0:38-0:48.

With a high center of gravity, disconnected arms with individual jerky movements, and jerky leg movements to move the board around.

----

But all the videos I ever see of people look like this: with a low center of gravity, connected flow of the arms, and using the hips to move the board

This is not purely an aesthetic matter. I've used my arms in surfing like the people in both the videos, the second video keeps more flow and speed on a wave, maybe because you're not bleeding energy constantly.

In any event: bend my knees, turn with my hips, crouching tiger arms.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:41 pm

The surf spot I went to Wed-Thu...my buddy went back Fri, same time 545-645 a.m., but he got a 1000$ ticket. So, staying away for a bit.

Monday, April 20th

Skateboarding 45-60 minutes

Worked on a low center of gravity, keeping my arm movement connected, and initiating movement from my hips.

There's a disconnect at the end of each of my turns, I think I'm afraid of washing the board out and so I back off, but it screws up my flow.

Tuesday, April 21st

Beachside Meditation 20 minutes

Emptying my mind on the in-breath. Repeating "impermanence" on the out-breath.

A few minutes into it, one of the students from my meditation class stopped to talk to me for about 20 seconds. Did my best to keep my peaceful mental place, but give him a little interaction. It was a good challenge to the whole empty your mind/impermanence state of being I was trying to cultivate, along with trying to not be a dick.

Meditated a bit extra at the end to make up for the time spent talking.

----

Today's focus is core tightness, knees over ankles, knees in line with toes.

Dynamic Warm-Up 15 minutes

Band Box Squats 17.5" Box w/ Purple x 20, 12" Box w/ Purple + Orange x 20 x 2 sets
and
Front Foot Elevated, Rear Foot Calf Raise x 20 each x 3 sets

Bulgarian Split-Squat [resting on instep] 16" x 15 each x 3 sets
and
Front Foot Elevated, Rear Foot Shin Raise x 20 each x 3 sets

Towel Slide Hamstring Curls x 15, 12, 12

Good Mornings w/Purple Band x 20, 20, 20

Standing 1-Leg Band Abduction w/ Orange x 20 each x 3 sets
and
Standing 1-Leg Band Adduction w/ Orange x 20 each x 3 sets

Standing 1-Leg Band Hip Flexion w/ Orange x 20 each x 3 sets
and
Standing 1-Leg Band Hip Extension w/ Orange x 20 each x 3 sets

Yoga Cool-Down 15 minutes

----

Skateboarding 45-60 minutes

Best carves yet! I think that 4-way hip sequence was really good for skateboarding/surfing. I was able to slide the board out more both frontside and backside, and to do it under more control.

Stoked!

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:46 pm

Thursday, April 23rd

Meditation 20 minutes

Very difficult today to clear my mind. Tried to focus on my breath, but it almost felt like a counter-productive use of time.

----

I liked the hip stuff I did the other day, so:

Band Internal Rotation x 20 each x 3 sets

Handstand Hold x 30 seconds x 3 sets
and
Band Reverse Flies x 20 x 3 sets

Serratus Push-Ups x 20 x 3 sets
and
Band Overhead Pull-Aparts x 20 x 3 sets

Band External Rotation x 20 each x 3 sets

----

And a bit of skateboarding later in the day.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:23 pm

Friday, April 24th

Surfing 3 hours

What a weird session.

Drove 75 minutes to the nearest open break in Dana Point. It was small-medium and very good, but I was trying not to be in the crowd, so I hunted around for waves. Finally ended up at the main peak as it started to empty out. I got one decent, short, right with a solid turn on it. As I came out of the turn, there were rocks jutting out of the water in front of me.

That was it. That one wave, that one turn.

The rest of the time I was always out of position, or I felt bad for someone because they'd been waiting forever to take a wave and I'd let them go. At one point a guy mistakenly started yelling at me and I paddled over to him all friendly and we had a good conversation.

I can't remember the last time I surfed arguably horribly (that one turn was good), and came in happy and unaffected by it. Or let that many waves go when I could have hogged them.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:09 pm

Sunday, April 26th

Breath Meditation 15 minutes + Compassion Meditation + Gratitude Reflection

----

Today's focus was on a tight core, good foot/knee alignment, and drawing the shoulder blades down and back smoothly.

Serratus Push-Ups x 2 sets

Push-Ups x 4 sets
Modified Handstand Push-Ups x 4 sets
Band Triceps Kickback x 4 sets
Band Woodchopper x 4 sets

Handstand Hold x 2 sets
and
TVA Exercise x 2 sets

Band External Rotation - Elbow by Side x 2 sets
Band External Rotation - High Row to Don't Shoot x 2 sets

Yoga 15 minutes

Yoga felt great! Nice workout too.

----

Skateboarding 30-45 minutes

Tomorrow all San Diego beaches re-open for surfing, so tonight was a good chance to work on my mechanics.

I carved the hill by my house, trying to pay attention to arm movement, turning with my body as a single unit, and pushing my turns.

There's noticeable room to improve on two fronts:

1) I don't compress my legs enough.

2) I push the entry on my turns, then back off on the exit.

Both combine to give me less speed, power, and flow.

----

I was inspired by tonight's skateboarding to research the elements of surfing style, and found this well-written article with an equally thoughtful comment section:

https://www.swellnet.com/news/swellnet- ... fing-style

The author lists five components of style:

1) Functionality
2) Harmony
3) Flow
4) Economy
5) Aesthetics/Posture

Based on that list, I feel my greatest room for growth would be in economy and perhaps aesthetics/posture.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:50 pm

Monday, April 27th

Breath Meditation 15 minutes + Compassion Meditation + Gratitude Reflection

----

Surfing 2.5 hours

Waited out the morning crowds (today's the first day it's been legal to surf in San Diego in a month), then scored a super fun reef break by my house.

Felt a little jerky in my movements, a little jerky in my mentality, and waited 15 minutes too long at one point to reapply sunscreen...otherwise a fantastic session!

Got a lot of solid turns in, stalled for a few barrels (didn't get in them), even did a "touching-the-bottom-of-the-wave" bottom turn which has been my Achilles heel in performance surfing.

Back to mucking around with a surf mantra, this is what I used today:

"connect, have fun, flow, style, desire-less, gone"

Surfing 1.5 hours

Managed a few fun waves, but the spot I chose wasn't working as well, or I happened to be out of position. Beautiful sunset!

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:17 pm

Tuesday, April 28th

Today's focus was on drawing the shoulder blades smoothly down and back on the multi-joint exercises, maintaining neutral shoulder alignment on the rest, and engaging the abs prior to each ab rep.

I noticed that it was hard to keep good form with going to full arm extension, so I left a slight bend in the arms.

Wall Slides x 4 sets

Pull-Ups x 4 sets
Bodyweight Rows x 4 sets
Band Curls x 4 sets
Band Reverse Flies x 4 sets
Band Iso Crunch w/ Alt. Knee Tucks x 4 sets (the ab form worked well, abs were burning and back felt protected)

Bokken Ulnar Deviation x 2 sets
and
Bokken Radial Deviation x 2 sets

----

Surfing 1.5 hours

Caught some fun waves and did some fun turns, but wasn't surfing as well as yesterday, I had skipped my TVA exercise this morning, the #1 surfing exercise I do, so when I got home:

Sahrmann Level 1/2 x 4 sets

On the walk back, a guy who I had a big problem with apologizing to at the local expert break drove by. About 6 months ago, I approached him and apologized for my surf etiquette and let him know that his criticism of me wasn't wasted. Today he gave me a smile and a wave! This is important because he scowled at me for about 2.5 years, so I'm happy to have grown from his rightful complaints and have more positive energy out in the world.

:)
Last edited by Bram on Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:17 am

Wednesday, April 29th

Yoga 15 minutes + Breath Meditation 15 minutes + Compassion Meditation + Gratitude Reflection

The yoga first led to me feeling very comfortable doing seated meditation after. Pushed a standing series (leg straight to front, straight to side) a bit harder than needed.

Surfing 1.5 hours

Surfed great!

There was a revolving crew of about 3-6 surfers and bodyboarders, all high school kids, and as the session wore on, I called kids who's turn it was into good set waves. It's easy in these situations for the best surfer to take more than their fair share, and I was happy to see some kids who seemed on the shy side paddle into some nice ones. On my last wave I got a couple hoots from one of the kids out there :)

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:36 pm

Thursday, April 30th

Skateboarding 30 minutes

Surfing 2.5 hours

Bioluminscent surfing was unreal!

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sat May 02, 2020 4:33 am

Friday, May 1st

Surfing 1.5 hours

Caught a bunch of waves at the beginning, nothing at the end.

More bioluminescent glowing craziness.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sat May 02, 2020 8:15 pm

Saturday, May 2nd

Did the lower body template I just posted in my "workout programs" training journal thread. Because I had time and energy I increased the volume.

Joint Mobility 10 minutes

Glute Bridge w/ Alt. Leg Extension x 15 each x 3 sets
and
Hip Flexor Stretch x 3 sets

Band Squat Purple x 20, Purple + Orange x 20 x 2 sets
and
1-Leg Calf Raise x 20 each x 3 sets

Bulgarian Split-Squat x 15 each x 3 sets
and
1-Leg Shin Raise x 20 each x 3 sets

Nordic Ham Curl x 10 x 3 sets
and
Quadriceps Stretch x 3 sets

Band Good Morning Purple x 20, Purple + Orange x 20 x 2 sets
and
Glute External Rotator Stretch x 3 sets

Band Hip Abduction x 20 each
and
Band Hip Adduction x 20 each
and
Band Hip Flexion x 20 each
and
Band Hip Extension x 20 each
3 rounds

Band TKE Purple x 20 each x 3 sets

Yoga 10 minutes

----

On another note:

My neighbor who I had yelled at a few months ago over a surfing incident, I went to his door today and apologized. Regardless of the cause, me yelling at him and carrying the anger around had done absolutely nothing positive for me. We managed to have a good conversation and end on a positive note. I believe I now have no bad energy between me and anyone on the planet.

:heart:

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun May 03, 2020 7:31 pm

Sunday, May 3rd

Yoga 10 minutes + Breath Meditation 15 minutes + Compassion Meditation + Gratitude Reflection

Solid 30 minute practice!

To compensate for my surfing, I incorporated a few specific poses into the yoga:

* For the internal rotation of the shoulders during paddling - standing with external shoulder rotation
* For sitting on the board in hip flexion - warrior poses focusing on tucking the pelvis
* For lying in spinal extension during paddling - boat pose

----

Dynamic Warm-Up 10 minutes

Warmed-up for a workout, but then wasn't feeling like doing one. Besides some standard joint mobility, I added four Ba Gua Zhang Tea Exercises for eight reps each direction and some shadow boxing working on jabs, crosses, and hooks.