Brief praise of jogging

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

SubClaw

Re: Brief praise of jogging

Post by SubClaw » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:48 am

newguy wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:33 pm
This looks good, but it’s basically advocating a 45 year old starting out keep HR to 130 BPM. Even going super slow that seems challenging.
Doing the whole nose breathing only seems to do the trick nicely. No heart rate monitors needed.
Last edited by SubClaw on Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

motherjuggs&speed
Sarge

Post by motherjuggs&speed » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:41 pm

newguy wrote:
If not...just keep the intervals at 1:00 jog/4:00 walk until it is light and easy. Instead of upping the jog to 2:00 the next week, add two intervals.

Until you can jog a minute light and easy....you don't need to jog more than a minute. And once you can, move of to the 2:00. If it ends up taking you 6 months instead of 3 to get to sixty minutes that' completely fine. Going from a rough minute to 60 straight in half a year is more than acceptable progress.
Yes. Volume is linear, intensity is exponential. Plus it's more than fitness that needs to be built here. Fractures, repetitive stress injuries, etc. are common when people build up in mileage. Let your body adapt. Including some weeks with little to no running in the early stages at least.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:04 pm

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:43 pm

motherjuggs&speed wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:41 pm
newguy wrote:
If not...just keep the intervals at 1:00 jog/4:00 walk until it is light and easy. Instead of upping the jog to 2:00 the next week, add two intervals.

Until you can jog a minute light and easy....you don't need to jog more than a minute. And once you can, move of to the 2:00. If it ends up taking you 6 months instead of 3 to get to sixty minutes that' completely fine. Going from a rough minute to 60 straight in half a year is more than acceptable progress.
Yes. Volume is linear, intensity is exponential. Plus it's more than fitness that needs to be built here. Fractures, repetitive stress injuries, etc. are common when people build up in mileage. Let your body adapt. Including some weeks with little to no running in the early stages at least.
Completely agree, and it becomes more true as you age. In virtually every single physical discipline people fuck themselves up by trying too advance to quickly and not giving themselves time to adapt. I've seen that in BJJ more times than I have fingers and toes, so at least seven times.
Last edited by Fat Cat on Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Remember that you have no companion but your shadow." -Genghis Khan

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:26 pm

Wrapping up the C25K program this week, and my sense is that if your BMI is under 30, you probably don't need to add additional rest/backoff. There are a couple backoffs in terms of continuous minutes that seem adequate. I'm running at just over 10 minute mile pace, which is obviously slow but my HR creeps into the mid-160s by minute 25 or so.
Visualization of the volume buildup: Image

I did notice a lady in Ironman gear doing intervals where her slow pace was even slower (~11 minute mile), so it's obviously possible to dial it down more, and probably a good idea.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:29 pm

I mentioned the music seemed to help, apparently not imaginary:
https://www.sciencealert.com/the-right- ... e-enhancer
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:56 pm

All I can think of when I see people jogging with headphones/earpods.
"Remember that you have no companion but your shadow." -Genghis Khan

Kirk
Gunny

Post by Kirk » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:20 pm

There was a girl hit and killed by a falling tree on the canal tow path near me. She was wearing headphones and I would guess that played some part. I still wear headphones running on paths but would never do that on the street (or even at path intersections). I did take my headphones off the day I ran up on a small black bear though. ;)

motherjuggs&speed
Sarge

Post by motherjuggs&speed » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:39 pm

Situational awareness is hugely reduced with headphones. It's more than being able to hear a car or something, people zone out more. On a related note, when I'm driving in tough traffic and/or am tired, I roll down my window even if it's freezing unless I'm in a really bad neighborhood. It connects me more to the outside world. I find it's easier to stay sharply aware of what's around me.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:35 am

I just read this book

Very good and in full support of jogging. You have to build your aerobic base with slow long activities, and it is a long and very gradual process. Building anaerobic capacity with intervals brings results quickly, but have limited effect on endurance in general. Anyway, this is a good book for everything endurance, not only mountain related stuff.