Wu Flu

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Bennyonesix1

Re: Wu Flu

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

Salvini is going to be King of Italy in a year and Globalism is dead if this is real. Personally still unconvinced but strong reaction from Western Govs is disconcerting. I bought masks for the olds in January.

Dumb chinamen created a bioweapon to ride the Han ACE2 for some inscrutable reason. We'll see what it does to blacks and whites.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

You kidding, a weapon that kills 2% infected (probably less than half of that)?

It

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Luckily the republicans have declared it all a hoax
Don’t believe everything you think.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

Those who said it's a hoax are idiots: this kind of statement will make sure the reaction to the first hundred cases in USA will be through the roof.

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

nafod wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:14 pm Luckily the republicans have declared it all a hoax
To be determined..... I think that the Democrats are playing politics.

Speaking of.....

The US Fed gov budget of 2020 was $4,829 Billion dollars. The Democrats just had to pick on 0.05 percent of the budget aimed at "the wall" to spend on the Coronavirus, making Trump look bad with his base.

If the Democrats wanted Coronavirus remediation funding they had 99.95 percent of the rest of the budget to raid.

If the Democrats want to be different from Trump how about they knock off the political theater?
Last edited by Gene on Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't like yourself too much.

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

Sangoma wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:09 pm Those who said it's a hoax are idiots: this kind of statement will make sure the reaction to the first hundred cases in USA will be through the roof.
Probably a misquote of one of Trump's torrent of Tweets.

The Democrats learned nothing from 2016. People want answers, not theater.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Go easy on nafod gene. He’s bummed because black southerners just rejected communism.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

Gene wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:35 am
Sangoma wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:09 pm Those who said it's a hoax are idiots: this kind of statement will make sure the reaction to the first hundred cases in USA will be through the roof.

I actually think it's the opposite. To have answers one has to be able to understand questions, and nobody wants to spend time and effort for that. People love theatrical, and the more drama the better. I reckon now it's a good time to start a war against Iran - they have coronavirus!

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Talked to an MD buddy this weekend who will be handling a lot of severe cases due to his specialty. He's already making plans to not be home during that period because protecting docs from infection will be hard.

1. The lack of testing/testing kits indicates things are probably already spreading pretty widely, much more than is currently known. The time to make plans for childcare, etc. is now. Amazon has canceled all employee travel for a reason.
2. You don't want to be standing in long lines at CostCo for supplies until after things get bad. Stocking up on now is probably a good idea.
3. Masks don't do anything. Washing hands does.

edit: masks are probably good
Last edited by Grandpa's Spells on Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:45 pmThe lack of testing/testing kits indicates things are probably already spreading pretty widely, much more than is currently known.
Which is another testimony to the fact that this virus is not as bad as is perceived or portrayed in the media.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Sangoma wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:07 am
Grandpa's Spells wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:45 pmThe lack of testing/testing kits indicates things are probably already spreading pretty widely, much more than is currently known.
Which is another testimony to the fact that this virus is not as bad as is perceived or portrayed in the media.
Not necessarily. If it's serious enough that a lot of people have to take time off work because of personal or child sickness, it could have a significant temporary impact on the economy. Businesses that import things from China are already struggling.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

I am not arguing with this. It's the reaction and further consequences that may well shake the economy. The Chinese are closing cities, their factories are slowing down or stopping work, many things in the rest of the world go on back order etc. The worst is to come when this slowdown is reflected in reduced consumption by the Chinese economy. Australia, for example, pretty much gets by by selling resources to China. If this slows down the whole Australian economy will suffer.

The virus itself is, at least so far, nowhere near as deadly as it seems from people's reaction. Again, if it spreads without it being obvious - hospitals full, elective surgeries cancelled due to lack of beds (this, BTW, happens every winter in Australia due to season a l flu), lots of deaths etc. - how bad can it be?

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

On the bright note, Dow Jones has formed a textbook V-reversal pattern in the last two days (not over yet, but...) Things may get interesting from here. Either it returns to the pre-panic levels or... if it can potentially continue down for another 5000 points.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Sangoma wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:05 am On the bright note, Dow Jones has formed a textbook V-reversal pattern in the last two days (not over yet, but...) Things may get interesting from here. Either it returns to the pre-panic levels or... if it can potentially continue down for another 5000 points.
My theory on the stock market is that with the explosion of 401Ks and index funds, there is a never-ending supply of buyers of what is being sold. That acts as a serious pushback on downward pressure.

I'm one of them. Let it drop, says I. Just recover before I retire.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

Your wish is likely to come true. 1200 points up intraday ending 800 points down is a seriously bearish pattern. We are likely to see 20,000.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Time to look for attractive purchases.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

Sangoma wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:21 am
Gene wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:35 am

I actually think it's the opposite. To have answers one has to be able to understand questions, and nobody wants to spend time and effort for that. People love theatrical, and the more drama the better. I reckon now it's a good time to start a war against Iran - they have coronavirus!
You might be right, that people want that drama. A complement to "Dancing with the Stars" and whatever crap the Kardashian family is churning out.

Horrifying thought, to start a war with Iran. These people marched children into land mines during the war with Iraq. They probably have kid sized suicide vests in depots waiting to go when the American occupiers show up. Iranians I know love their kids. They love their independence.

We Americans would be tossing away the lives of our people for a war that few us would really want. If Israel wants to invade Iran they can have it. They're used to occupation duty, they're good at it.

Gav
Sgt. Major

Post by Gav »

Lockdown is starting here in some pretty important places.
davidc wrote:I've found standing on my head to be particularly useful

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Just remember, Soylent Green is people.

Or is it "are people"?

Not sure which...

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Gav wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:17 pm Lockdown is starting here in some pretty important places.
Plague rat detected.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

Dow Jones is getting seriously bearish.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Perfect time to buy.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

Tentatively.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Fat Cat wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:36 pm
Gav wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:17 pm Lockdown is starting here in some pretty important places.
Plague rat detected.
Timmah, at the marathon, with a fresh jar of Vaseline— this is clearly.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

So what's going on? How long are you locked down for? Enough food?

I understand you're supposed to stay home unless you have to get out?