COVID-FIT: Survive the Chinese AIDS

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 39376
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

COVID-FIT: Survive the Chinese AIDS

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:45 pm

OK, this may be retarded but that's never stopped me before. Are there ways to set your body up for success in fighting a bug like COVID-19? Obviously:

- Try to avoid getting it by practicing proper hygiene.

- Don't smoke, balanced diet, etc.

- What else?

Does it make sense to emphasize cardiovascular training? Strength training? Less demanding training to maintain reserves? Any thoughts?
Image
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

User avatar
newguy
Top
Posts: 2389
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:32 am

Re: COVID-FIT: Survive the Chinese AIDS

Post by newguy » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:58 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:45 pm
OK, this may be retarded but that's never stopped me before. Are there ways to set your body up for success in fighting a bug like COVID-19? Obviously:

- Try to avoid getting it by practicing proper hygiene.

- Don't smoke, balanced diet, etc.

- What else?

Does it make sense to emphasize cardiovascular training? Strength training? Less demanding training to maintain reserves? Any thoughts?
I absolutely believe that walking a lot and often is essential to health. It builds your lungs and heart without over stressing them. And this is disease that hits the lungs so strong lungs cannot hurt. And if you start to get the illness, walk, walk, and walk some more. If the lungs are being attacked, strengthen them and let the body start building more pathways.

But don't be an infected asshole walking around everyone.

The other thing I think is that you need to go overboard on fruits and veggies.

And of course, kettlebell lifts.

User avatar
JasonC
Gunny
Posts: 521
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:28 pm

Re: COVID-FIT: Survive the Chinese AIDS

Post by JasonC » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:27 pm

I started doing Simple and Sinister. It's only been two days, but the benefits are INCREDIBLE! I've had paid sex with three older men in the Bay Area but still feel completely healthy. This WTH effect is for real!!

I'm just wondering whether washing my hands frequently will add too much work. The book says "nothing extra," so I don't want to go adding things willy-nilly.
leansoliddogs.blog

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 39376
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: COVID-FIT: Survive the Chinese AIDS

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:35 pm

JasonC wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:27 pm
I started doing Simple and Sinister. It's only been two days, but the benefits are INCREDIBLE! I've had paid sex with three older men in the Bay Area but still feel completely healthy. This WTH effect is for real!!

I'm just wondering whether washing my hands frequently will add too much work. The book says "nothing extra," so I don't want to go adding things willy-nilly.
Image

Did you get your money's worth?
Image
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

User avatar
nafod
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 12049
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:01 pm
Location: Looking in your window

Re: COVID-FIT: Survive the Chinese AIDS

Post by nafod » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:09 pm

JasonC wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:27 pm
I started doing Simple and Sinister. It's only been two days, but the benefits are INCREDIBLE! I've had paid sex with three older men
who paid whom?
Don’t believe everything you think.

motherjuggs&speed
Gunny
Posts: 522
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:08 am

Re: COVID-FIT: Survive the Chinese AIDS

Post by motherjuggs&speed » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:23 pm

nafod wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:09 pm
who paid whom?
In assessing any couple, just remember: The ugly one has the money.

Luke
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 449
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:19 am

Re: COVID-FIT: Survive the Chinese AIDS

Post by Luke » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:18 am

I went to the park the other night to do some bodyweight stuff. WAAAYYY more people than the gym in the general surrounds, but I guess open air and all...

In light of this maybe going on awhile, I might splash some cash on squat stands, weights, plates...I can't get down with progressing - or even maintaining - on some of the body weight/makeshift weight stuff going around social media. No disrespect to strength coaches.

Worth it or should I save my money and wait it out. Dunno.

Ripe Turd
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:34 pm

Re: COVID-FIT: Survive the Chinese AIDS

Post by Ripe Turd » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:36 am

JasonC wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:27 pm
I started doing Simple and Sinister. It's only been two days, but the benefits are INCREDIBLE! I've had paid sex with three older men in the Bay Area but still feel completely healthy. This WTH effect is for real!!

I'm just wondering whether washing my hands frequently will add too much work. The book says "nothing extra," so I don't want to go adding things willy-nilly.
Is that part of your anabasis?
Hanglow Joe wrote: Why do you need a program? Showing up a 1/2 hour a day and doing what you're doing is great. Try it for 4-6 weeks, you're not going to get dick cancer by not following a program.

User avatar
newguy
Top
Posts: 2389
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:32 am

Re: COVID-FIT: Survive the Chinese AIDS

Post by newguy » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:16 am

Luke wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:18 am
I went to the park the other night to do some bodyweight stuff. WAAAYYY more people than the gym in the general surrounds, but I guess open air and all...

In light of this maybe going on awhile, I might splash some cash on squat stands, weights, plates...I can't get down with progressing - or even maintaining - on some of the body weight/makeshift weight stuff going around social media. No disrespect to strength coaches.

Worth it or should I save my money and wait it out. Dunno.
How covid proof is your income?

Luke
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 449
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:19 am

Re: COVID-FIT: Survive the Chinese AIDS

Post by Luke » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:50 am

newguy wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:16 am
Luke wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:18 am
I went to the park the other night to do some bodyweight stuff. WAAAYYY more people than the gym in the general surrounds, but I guess open air and all...

In light of this maybe going on awhile, I might splash some cash on squat stands, weights, plates...I can't get down with progressing - or even maintaining - on some of the body weight/makeshift weight stuff going around social media. No disrespect to strength coaches.

Worth it or should I save my money and wait it out. Dunno.
How covid proof is your income?
That answer is painfully no...and salient.

I resigned December last year but my company has needed me month-to-month. I've been saving and was going to take a trip before working again. My replacement is from overseas might have been locked out with the latest travel ban. Waiting on the next steps.

Fearing the breadlines [-o<
Last edited by Luke on Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Luke
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 449
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:19 am

Re: COVID-FIT: Survive the Chinese AIDS

Post by Luke » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:51 am

Double post

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 39376
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: COVID-FIT: Survive the Chinese AIDS

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:16 am

Mods please edit title of thread to CANNIBAL-FIT.
Image
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 39376
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: COVID-FIT: Survive the Chinese AIDS

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:19 am

motherjuggs&speed wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:23 pm
nafod wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:09 pm
who paid whom?
In assessing any couple, just remember: The ugly one has the money.
Pawlina has more money than Ric.
Image
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

User avatar
newguy
Top
Posts: 2389
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:32 am

Re: COVID-FIT: Survive the Chinese AIDS

Post by newguy » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:27 pm

Luke wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:50 am
newguy wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:16 am
Luke wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:18 am
I went to the park the other night to do some bodyweight stuff. WAAAYYY more people than the gym in the general surrounds, but I guess open air and all...

In light of this maybe going on awhile, I might splash some cash on squat stands, weights, plates...I can't get down with progressing - or even maintaining - on some of the body weight/makeshift weight stuff going around social media. No disrespect to strength coaches.

Worth it or should I save my money and wait it out. Dunno.
How covid proof is your income?
That answer is painfully no...and salient.

I resigned December last year but my company has needed me month-to-month. I've been saving and was going to take a trip before working again. My replacement is from overseas might have been locked out with the latest travel ban. Waiting on the next steps.

Fearing the breadlines [-o<
Save the money and wait it out.

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 39376
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: COVID-FIT: Survive the Chinese AIDS

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:26 pm

Ya, now prolly isn't the time to shell out for fancy equipment if you have an uncertain employment future.
Image
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

User avatar
newguy
Top
Posts: 2389
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:32 am

Re: COVID-FIT: Survive the Chinese AIDS

Post by newguy » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:31 pm

Unless you are already ridiculously fit, a couple of months (god willing) or more of pushups, squats, lunges aren't going to hurt any of us.

Going herschel walker right now is not a bad idea.

What can you all do BW wise? Can you all hit 500 squats and 200 pushups in any reasonable time?

I can't.

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 39376
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: COVID-FIT: Survive the Chinese AIDS

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:10 pm

I can. The 200 pushups would be harder for me than the 500 squats tho. But I could do it all in under an hour.
Image
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

User avatar
newguy
Top
Posts: 2389
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:32 am

Re: COVID-FIT: Survive the Chinese AIDS

Post by newguy » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:22 am

Fat Cat wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:10 pm
I can. The 200 pushups would be harder for me than the 500 squats tho. But I could do it all in under an hour.
How long for just 500? Can you do them straight?

I've got a lot of room for growth here.

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 39376
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: COVID-FIT: Survive the Chinese AIDS

Post by Fat Cat » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:34 am

I don't know. The last time I tried was about a year ago and I did 200 without effort and just got bored. Let's say 20 to 30 minutes?
Image
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

User avatar
Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major
Posts: 4948
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:13 am
Location: The Usual Gang of Idiots

Re: COVID-FIT: Survive the Chinese AIDS

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:17 pm

I've taken to riding my track bike around the city on off-ours when I need to get out and hooligan around for a few hours. Run it with a freewheel so I can coast but still get the strength work of only one big gear. I limit this to just myself. Not riding the road bikes at all at Stone Mountain because I'm sure that place is packed with people who are off work and are treating this like a holiday. With that many people out on the park loop it's like a madhouse of weekend warriors duffing around at 5mph.

Otherwise, I'm on Zwift in the house for actual bike training and hitting the KBs for my strength work. Early spring is just about the best time of year in GA other than the late fall, so it sucks not to be able to travel back to our little rural home town in the middle of the state and ride for miles on country roads.

Sad thing about being on the Zwift app so much is that it's making me strong AF on the bike. But no way to go hit up the group rides and such to enjoy it.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Boris
Top
Posts: 1548
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:54 am

Re: COVID-FIT: Survive the Chinese AIDS

Post by Boris » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:45 pm

Luke wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:18 am
I went to the park the other night to do some bodyweight stuff. WAAAYYY more people than the gym in the general surrounds, but I guess open air and all...

In light of this maybe going on awhile, I might splash some cash on squat stands, weights, plates...I can't get down with progressing - or even maintaining - on some of the body weight/makeshift weight stuff going around social media. No disrespect to strength coaches.

Worth it or should I save my money and wait it out. Dunno.
For my home gym, the essentials are a barbell, some plates, a squat rack, some kettlebells, and a place to do pull-ups. Even if I did all this on the cheap, I'd want to spend $500-$1000 for that. I think it's worth it, but if money is tight, then now isn't the time.

Right now, if I was just trying to get by and not waste any money, I'd get some bands. If there was one fitness guru I'd like to give a big sloppy wet kiss to, it'd be Dick Hartzell. I'll be honest, all the bands I've ever bought have been from elitefts and they've been good to me over the past 20 years or so, but I'll try to kick some money Dick Hartzell's way the next time I order (which might be today).
https://flexband.myshopify.com/collections/all
https://www.elitefts.com/shop/accessories/bands-1.html

User avatar
seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it
Posts: 7815
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:07 pm
Location: The Deep Blue Sea

Re: COVID-FIT: Survive the Chinese AIDS

Post by seeahill » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:28 pm

I just started up my trail walking and bodyweight stuff again after a long lay off. It feels good to feel my body get back into some kind of shape and the work has improved my mood.

That last is what I think is what could help insulate me from infection. A good mood and a positive attitude.
Image

User avatar
Cayenne
Top
Posts: 1152
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:20 pm

Re: COVID-FIT: Survive the Chinese AIDS

Post by Cayenne » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:25 am

seeahill wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:28 pm
I just started up my trail walking and bodyweight stuff again after a long lay off. It feels good to feel my body get back into some kind of shape and the work has improved my mood.

That last is what I think is what could help insulate me from infection. A good mood and a positive attitude.
And even if it does not protect from infection, we feel good and it helps us delude ourselves that it helps, which may be a better place to live until we do get it...? Keep walking and stay happy Tim.

Luke
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 449
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:19 am

Re: COVID-FIT: Survive the Chinese AIDS

Post by Luke » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:06 am

Boris wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:45 pm
Luke wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:18 am
I went to the park the other night to do some bodyweight stuff. WAAAYYY more people than the gym in the general surrounds, but I guess open air and all...

In light of this maybe going on awhile, I might splash some cash on squat stands, weights, plates...I can't get down with progressing - or even maintaining - on some of the body weight/makeshift weight stuff going around social media. No disrespect to strength coaches.

Worth it or should I save my money and wait it out. Dunno.
For my home gym, the essentials are a barbell, some plates, a squat rack, some kettlebells, and a place to do pull-ups. Even if I did all this on the cheap, I'd want to spend $500-$1000 for that. I think it's worth it, but if money is tight, then now isn't the time.

Right now, if I was just trying to get by and not waste any money, I'd get some bands. If there was one fitness guru I'd like to give a big sloppy wet kiss to, it'd be Dick Hartzell. I'll be honest, all the bands I've ever bought have been from elitefts and they've been good to me over the past 20 years or so, but I'll try to kick some money Dick Hartzell's way the next time I order (which might be today).
https://flexband.myshopify.com/collections/all
https://www.elitefts.com/shop/accessories/bands-1.html
I have a few 2nd hand deals I want to pair with these stands https://samsfitness.com.au/racks-cages- ... uat-stands - I could have cancelled my gym membership already - didn't think to look.

Can definitely afford it...but it's the not knowing part of the equation right now that's eating at me. But not working out is also making me very unhappy. I have thought about just getting dumbbells and doing all the old timey strongman stuff with bodyweight work I always knew was good for me, but could never be assed doing (i.e. pull ups and lots of them).
Last edited by Luke on Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Luke
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 449
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:19 am

Re: COVID-FIT: Survive the Chinese AIDS

Post by Luke » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:07 am

Corona's causing me to double-post.

Post Reply