Back to KBs

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Re: Back to KBs

Post by JasonC » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:02 am

Fri., Jan. 3, 2020
Magic series

Sat., Jan. 4, 2020
Magic series

Sun., Jan. 5, 2020
Magic series in AM (without snatches and jerks). Made my low back feel grouchy. I think I was hyperlordotic.

Snatch 20kg, 56+56. HR not too high. After backswing, took care to wait for bell to begin falling on its own. That’s a significant help.
leansoliddogs.blog

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:44 pm

After that last post, I couldn't go on snatching because my left SI joint was irritated. Since then I've had to baby it. At these moments I sometimes goof around with Indian clubs/clubbells/maces and Persian-type pushups, but I can't wring much generalized effort from those and I end up stopping my sets because of nothing more than very local muscle fatigue or boredom.

At times like this (hurt, lethargic, going to pot), I end up re-reading Dan John's Intervention, and this time I read his HKC book. Good stuff. DJ always takes me back to fundamental movements and attributes, which is exactly what I need right now. Specifically, it's time to take care of mobility and de-blubbering.

To let my SI joint rest and heal, I've needed to reacquaint myself with "patterning" movements, movement quality, and light weights (16kg, 20kg) and low speeds. And no swings, just "Bulgarian goat bags." So basically, Dan's perennial trio (goblet squat, KB hinge, and the Turkish* get-up family) with some pushups and pullups.

And I've revived my custom of jogging, fasted, at first light down to the creek for a polar bear swim, with some bonuses along the way like bear walks and crab walks (all directions), pushups, and sideways and backwards running. In the orchards nearby there are some old stumps and branches that lend themselves to carrying and waiter-walking too. (Today's trick: walking bottoms-up presses with part of a dead tree limb.) Not trying hard on these jogs, just having some fun. Strictly park bench.

I've admired Dan's concept of "the warmup as the workout" but never followed any of those sequences as written, but this week I've tried the Coyote Point warmup/workout from Intervention and loved it. With time, I've sandwiched in swings.

So today's warmup/workout was this, with 10 goat bag swings between each item and each switch from left to right side: waiter walk (L & R), walking BUP (L&R), goblet squat, hip flexor stretch (L & R), windmill stretch (L & R), goblet squat again, hip flexor stretch again (L & R), windmill stretch again (L & R), wrist stretches, can-opener/pigeon pose (L&R), tactical frog stretch, scap pushups, downward dog (I did these as slow Hindu pushups with a big lat and tricep contraction at end), dolphin pose, superman pose. So that was 220 goat bag swings, and that was quite enough.

*The Turkish get-up is Turkish. There's nothing "problematic" about that, and since I don't have a business to protect from SJW grievance piranhas, I'm calling it by its real and proud name. DJ, if you're reading this (swoon!), I'm not shading you, sir, just doing my humble part to resist the language police.
leansoliddogs.blog

motherjuggs&speed
Sarge

Post by motherjuggs&speed » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:58 am

I was starting to wonder if we should send a St.Bernard out for you. Thought maybe you'd been abducted/recruited by a cult whose secret lair was near the path of one of your races.

Seems like you have a sensible plan for resetting, for your mind as well. As DJ sez, the body is one piece (brain optional). Instructions not included.
JasonC wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:44 pm
*The Turkish get-up is Turkish. There's nothing "problematic" about that, and since I don't have a business to protect from SJW grievance piranhas, I'm calling it by its real and proud name. DJ, if you're reading this (swoon!), I'm not shading you, sir, just doing my humble part to resist the language police.
Has DJ surrendered to the horde? I am 46%% more depressed than I was a minute ago. Is the next thing going to be Pope Francis apologizing for not being a trans Muslim? Gotta shake this off. Going to burn a Thai stick and play Chinese handball. For recovery I'll have some French toast with Swiss cheese on an English muffin.

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:25 am

motherjuggs&speed wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:58 am
I was starting to wonder if we should send a St.Bernard out for you. Thought maybe you'd been abducted/recruited by a cult whose secret lair was near the path of one of your races.

Seems like you have a sensible plan for resetting, for your mind as well. As DJ sez, the body is one piece (brain optional). Instructions not included.
JasonC wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:44 pm
Has DJ surrendered to the horde? I am 46%% more depressed than I was a minute ago. Is the next thing going to be Pope Francis apologizing for not being a trans Muslim? Gotta shake this off. Going to burn a Thai stick and play Chinese handball. For recovery I'll have some French toast with Swiss cheese on an English muffin.
Thanks, man.

In Intervenion it was still the TGU, but the HKC book has mostly (90%) transition to "get-up," I'm guessing in deference to DD's house style.
leansoliddogs.blog

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:50 am

PM

"The Eagle" - (2x16kg front squats x8, then farmer walk) x 8 rounds without setting bells down

Not hard but also not a joke
leansoliddogs.blog

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:04 am

Sat., Feb. 29, 2020
Mountain rescue training exercise involving a 75# pack over 2.2mi up to 9000 ft and then doing scenarios and camping up there. The climb was awful: I wore too much, carried too much water, and broke both my poles. But I didn't get wet, didn't get hypothermic, and didn't get (very) dehydrated.

Returned on Sunday.

Mon., Mar. 2, 2020
Jog to the creek, jump in, jog back, with some crawls along the way.

Tue., Mar. 3, 2020
AM: Creek jog/plunge/crawls

PM: DJ's Intervention "warmup-is-the-workout" with sets of 10 or 15 hinges sandwiched in between everything. Totaled about 300 hinges. Plus a few sets of pullups and pushups here and there.

Finally getting traction with my de-blubbering. I'm under 185# and 15% bf for first time in months, and pants are just beginning to fit again.
leansoliddogs.blog

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:13 pm

Wed., Mar. 4, 2020
AM: The usual predawn jog/creek swim/crawling. Tried bringing some Indian clubs and goofing around with those near the end of the run, but it was too cold.

Thur., Mar. 5, 2020
AM: jog/swim/crawl
PM: Hill walk with 2x16kg bells. Overhead walk, then rack walk, then farmer walk. Rest and repeat for 1+ mile. Stimulating, but I kept it pretty chill.

The scale has finally started moving. I'm 183 lbs. and 14% bf. I thought all I needed to lose fat was low carb + IF, but it didn't start coming off until I started getting back in my little DJ routine.
leansoliddogs.blog

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:56 am

Fri., Mar. 6, 2020
AM: jog/swim/crawl. "Warmup Is the Workout" with 230 swings sandwiched in. Still nice and tame on the swings--just 16kg and 20kg and two or three sets of two-armed swings with 24kg. And the cold water has stopped being a big deal.

PM: 5 rounds of (5 goblet squats + some pushups).
I'm liking this Dan John thing of just getting in 25 goblet squats a day, with whatever reps and weight you see fit. It's completely attainable, so I work the movement every day, even though I don't enjoy goblet squats.
And I'm enjoying pushup variations: regular pushups, Persian split pushups, crescent pushups, and Hindu pushups. I've been having fun doing Hindu pushups nice and slowly, with a big upper back and tricep and glute contraction at the end and spreading the chest out. Just feels nice. Only thing is, not sure if it's some kind of lower back no-no, since I just got over a nagging, irritated SI joint.
leansoliddogs.blog

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:00 am

Sat., Mar. 7
AM: usual jog/swim/crawl

Sun., Mar. 8

PM: "warmup as workout" (slowly including some 24kg two-arm swings) + 5 rounds of (5 squats + pushups). Mostly used 16kg+20kg for the squats.
leansoliddogs.blog

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:04 pm

Mon., Mar. 9, 2020
AM: run/swim/crawl

Tue., Mar. 10, 2020
AM: jogging back and forth in park with a 20kg bell to swing at one end and a pushup board at the other for various pushups, up/down dogs, bird dogs, pigeon pose, windmill stretches.
leansoliddogs.blog

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:22 am

Wed., Mar. 11, 2010

AM: short jog and getting wet under garden hose (no swimming or crawling). "Warmup is the workout" swinging the 20kg and 24kg for sets of 10.

PM: 2x20kg * (8 front squats + farmer walk) * 4 rounds. Target was 8 rounds.

I feel like crap. Last few weeks, it's like I can't feel hydrated, no matter how much I drink. It just shoots through me.
leansoliddogs.blog

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:51 am

Thur., Mar. 12, 2020
AM: jog/swim/crawl and “warmup is the workout” with 20kg and 24kg.

PM: 150# sandbag getup and carry. Just 1 per side. I feel run-down and sick and weak as, well, maybe not a kitten, but a medium-sized puppy.
leansoliddogs.blog

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:46 am

Fri., Mar. 13, 2020
Rest

Sat., Mar. 14, 2020

Sun., Mar. 15, 2020
AM: jog/swim/crawl + "warmup is the workout." Swings were mostly 24kg x10. I just don't like sets of 15 or 20 with the swing.

PM: (FSQ 2*20kg x6 + TGU each side + pushup variations) x5 rounds
leansoliddogs.blog

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:35 am

Mon., Mar. 16, 2020
AM: jog/swim/crawl + warmup-is-the-workout

PM: (GSQ 20kg or 24kg x5 + TGU 20kg or 24kg each side) x 5 rounds
leansoliddogs.blog

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:45 pm

Tue., Mar. 17, 2020
AM: jog/swim/crawl plus "warmup is the workout" with 24kg

Got a blood glucose monitor after weirdly high test. (Hypothesis: it was because, though fasted, I was still cold AF from my polar bear swim.) Been meaning to do this for awhile, just so I can directly observe how foods affect my BG.

Wed., Mar. 18, 2020

AM: jog/swim/crawl. Followed right after mini-breakfast with "warmup is the workout," PLUS 5 rounds of (GSQ 24kg x5 + TGU 20kg or 24kg each side).

Amazing: that workout was surprisingly tiring. I tried (and sometimes failed) to keep HR under MAF, but even when I only swung the 20kg or 16kg, I still needed to rest between exercises during the "warmup/workout," and I had to pace the GSQ/TGU very slowly.

When DJ writes that it boosts your HR a lot to constantly alternate between the ground and standing, I knew that was true, but it's very true. In addition to 18 sets of swings (ranging from 16kg to 28kg), alternated lying and standing 28 times. It really does add up. Though I'm not smoked and I stayed in MAF (except for some spikes after swings), I got out of my comfort zone.
leansoliddogs.blog

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:26 pm

Thur., Mar. 19, 2020

PM: Hard snow-shoeing for 4 hours

Fri., Mar. 20, 2020
AM: quick jog/swim. Had no-bull spiritual experience during my swim.

PM: Loaded carry, 3 miles. I fucking love loaded carries.
leansoliddogs.blog

newguy

Post by newguy » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:07 pm

JasonC wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:26 pm
Thur., Mar. 19, 2020

Fri., Mar. 20, 2020

Well......don't be a tease.

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:52 am

newguy wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:07 pm
JasonC wrote:
Thur., Mar. 19, 2020

Fri., Mar. 20, 2020

Sometimes when I do Wim Hof shit, I see Hindu gods. (https://leansoliddogs.blog/2019/06/04/a ... ar-pt-1-2/) This time it was Rama. (To be clear, when I say "see," I'm not talking about a highly dramatic, full-on non-volitional vision. I'm just talking about a sense of numinous presence that has a visual piece to it.)
leansoliddogs.blog

newguy

Post by newguy » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:36 pm

JasonC wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:52 am
newguy wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:07 pm
JasonC wrote:
Thur., Mar. 19, 2020

Fri., Mar. 20, 2020

Sometimes when I do Wim Hof shit, I see Hindu gods. (https://leansoliddogs.blog/2019/06/04/a ... ar-pt-1-2/) This time it was Rama. (To be clear, when I say "see," I'm not talking about a highly dramatic, full-on non-volitional vision. I'm just talking about a sense of numinous presence that has a visual piece to it.)
Interesting. What is your connection to the hindu gods? Do you practice hinduism? Have you studied them for a long period of time?

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:42 am

newguy wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:36 pm
Interesting. What is your connection to the hindu gods? Do you practice hinduism? Have you studied them for a long period of time?
It's loose and a little unorthodox. Formally I'm Buddhist, but over the years I've strayed into some Hindu points of view that no Buddhist authority would approve of (e.g. a pretty theistic turn of mind), and I teach classes on Hinduism so I'm constantly talking about Hindu iconography and myth and philosophy, AND a friend I admire very much is a Vaiśnava [i.e. "Hare Krishna"] monk, so I'm influenced more and more by him all the time. I made a commitment to Buddhism when I was young and I'd be loath to crap on it, but I guess you could say I've been having a prolonged emotional affair with Krishna.
leansoliddogs.blog

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:47 am

Sat., Mar. 21, 2020
Not feeling 100%. Rested.

Sun., Mar. 22, 2020
AM: jog/swim/crawl plus "warm up is the workout." Used 16kg only and moved briskly through it.

PM: rucked 7 hours fasted. If this kind of shit, done in ketosis, doesn't finally get me lean again, I'll just consider home lipo with a cordless vacuum.
leansoliddogs.blog

motherjuggs&speed
Sarge

Post by motherjuggs&speed » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:59 pm

JasonC wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:47 am
PM: rucked 7 hours fasted. If this kind of shit, done in ketosis, doesn't finally get me lean again, I'll just consider home lipo with a cordless vacuum.
Ed Coan's idea of "the body will only fight you for long" may apply here. If you stay on the path you will get to where the path leads.

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:45 am

Mon., Mar. 23, 2020
AM: jog/swim/crawl and rucked 3 miles

PM: "warmup is the workout" (16kg x10 for 16 sets, briskly), Hindu pushups, TGU 24kg x5 each side
leansoliddogs.blog

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:28 am

Tue., Mar. 24, 2020

PM: about 3 rounds of "swing sandwiches" (using 24kg to 32kg) with GSQ, pushup variations, ab wheel or pullups, and TGUs. Somehow I got in 16 total sets of 10 swings.
leansoliddogs.blog

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:21 am

Wed., Mar. 25, 2020
AM: Hosed down outside

PM: Carried 150# sand bag up a hill and back. Hard.
leansoliddogs.blog