N-95 Masks from Dragon Door

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Cayenne

N-95 Masks from Dragon Door

Post by Cayenne »

I am under the impression that these masks should all be heading to health care providers, not the general public.

Am I wrong?

Below was from Dragon Door:

We have had the opportunity to purchase a limited quantity of N95 masks. Because of the limited supply we recommend that you order immediately.

Note: you will not be charged until your order ships. Because we have just placed our initial order please allow up to 8 business days for your order to ship.

We will accept and ship orders to contiguous US states only.

Stay safe and be well!

John Du Cane

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Re: N-95 Masks from Dragon Door

Post by nafod »

We're jumping through our assholes to 3D print PPE gear for hospitals. So, yeah, that kind of sucks.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Doesn't seem like his typical ad copy.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Topic author
Cayenne

Post by Cayenne »

Turdacious wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:48 am Doesn't seem like his typical ad copy.

I agree.

The subject matter is unique though, obviously not a certification, book, video, exercise equipment, etc.

It was in an email from Dragon Door I received today, so I suspect many others received the same email.

I hear Gov. Cuomo practically begging people to figure out how to get masks, ("if you have a clothing company, figure out how to make masks and we'll buy them from you, etc." ) and this email just has such a weird feeling.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Cayenne wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:57 am
Turdacious wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:48 am Doesn't seem like his typical ad copy.

I agree.

The subject matter is unique though, obviously not a certification, book, video, exercise equipment, etc.

It was in an email from Dragon Door I received today, so I suspect many others received the same email.

I hear Gov. Cuomo practically begging people to figure out how to get masks, ("if you have a clothing company, figure out how to make masks and we'll buy them from you, etc." ) and this email just has such a weird feeling.
I'm wondering if they're legit, given Dukkkane's reputation as a huckster-- kind of like the cardboard filled life vests Turkish businessmen were selling Syrian refugees trying to get to Greece.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Topic author
Cayenne

Post by Cayenne »

If legit, seems wrong.

If not legit, seems wrong.

Topic author
Cayenne

Post by Cayenne »

double post

Joe Burks

Post by Joe Burks »

https://www.twincities.com/2020/03/27/c ... ccusation/

In summary, AG told him to stop and he agreed to refund money and donate the rest.

Boris

Post by Boris »

Pieces of shit. I posted to their page that they should stop, apologize, and then donate them. The ad was pulled shortly after and then they were offering masks as an 'add-on' to that stupid chain thing. Seriously, what the hell, has JDC gone insane?

motherjuggs&speed

Post by motherjuggs&speed »

There is this idea people often have that a given person will only be so big a piece of shit. They think that there's only so far someone will go. This is a dangerous idea. If a person is beyond a given point, hard to quantify exactly but I think it's a real line, then there's nothing he won't do.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

motherjuggs&speed wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:36 am There is this idea people often have that a given person will only be so big a piece of shit. They think that there's only so far someone will go. This is a dangerous idea. If a person is beyond a given point, hard to quantify exactly but I think it's a real line, then there's nothing he won't do.
You know, there was a time in my life I would have argued with you. I would have been on the side of there being varying degrees of piece of shitness, and maybe a simple huckster would maybe hawk a dubious product or make up some bullshit ad copy or the like, but wouldn't outright look to profit off of misery and crisis.

Not any more.

I've heard stories of people going door to door in our area trying to take advantage of people on some virus scam or other. And that's in one of the nicer neighborhoods of ATL. I know for a fact that in my little home town in central GA there are some "nefarious" members of our town going door to door on some virus scam and then robbing people who take the bait.
I had a pretty stressful day last Friday. Work was showing signs of slowing down, and since I'm on flat rate if my wrenches aren't turning I'm not getting paid. We were looking at cutting hours at a minimum if things didn't pick up. That's on top of the other stress of the situation. Heard a female voice outside with a little bit of tension, thought it was our neighbor who is older and is terrified of this thing. Figured the only way she'd come out to get to us instead of call/text is if she's in trouble. So I open the door. Turns out it's some dude going door to door and a woman was walking by telling him what a tone deaf asshole he is. He's about half way up our drive and I LAY INTO this fool. He turns and starts walking next door to our older neighbor's door. So I lay into him just about as harshly as I possibly could without threatening him.
Needless to say, my wife (who is at home all day since her school has gone online) is now the proud owner of a Sig 228 9mm since she's intimidated by my 40 S&W and .45's. And now way is she going to the door with a shotgun.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

newguy
Sgt. Major

Post by newguy »

motherjuggs&speed wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:36 am There is this idea people often have that a given person will only be so big a piece of shit. They think that there's only so far someone will go. This is a dangerous idea. If a person is beyond a given point, hard to quantify exactly but I think it's a real line, then there's nothing he won't do.
That's some real talk right there.

Schlegel

Post by Schlegel »

Re the end of Alfred's post: I have read that there is a massive gun buying spree going on right now. Shop owners are saying that it isn't hoarders but is fueled primarily by first-time buyers.
"Why do we need a kitchen when we have a phone?"

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

Hopefully the first timers will get some free range time and a safety course or something. But you know they won't.
It's like getting a motorcycle license when you're 18. Nothing to stop you from going out with near zero real world experience and laying down less than the cost of a Civic and riding home on a bike damn near capable of out lapping an F1 car.
I foresee lots of accidental deaths.

Unfortunately, our GSD passed a few years ago and we haven't found the right time to get a new puppy. Nothing better than a big, barking dog to make most people choose an easier target. We're going to remedy that situation this summer as well.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Schlegel

Post by Schlegel »

Maybe not... the safe/lock culture is different these days. None of my older relatives ever locked up any gun but I and all the not-olds I know do. Plus cheap handgun lock boxes are are like $25, as well as all new guns ship with a lock anyway.

Topic author
Cayenne

Post by Cayenne »

Joe Burks wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:37 am https://www.twincities.com/2020/03/27/c ... ccusation/

In summary, AG told him to stop and he agreed to refund money and donate the rest.
Wow! Thanks for that follow-up, Joe. Yeah, the first email mask offer and then the second email offer, (which I started a separate thread about,) immediately failed the smell test.

I don't know Ducane, I don't have any ax to grind with him, and I like to give people the benefit of doubt, but someone would have had to have been seriously off the grid for the past several weeks not to know of the need for these masks by healthcare workers. SMH.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Joe Burks wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:37 am https://www.twincities.com/2020/03/27/c ... ccusation/

I can't believe I'm gonna do this, but Ducane isn't necessarily teh villain he's made out to be in the press.

He was selling them for $5 each plus shipping. Home Depot is currently selling a box of twelve for $65.64 plus shipping (and they're not in stock). Normally a mask would retail for about $2.50-3.50, or around $2 if you buy them in bulk. For context, the price of a dozen eggs around here has nearly doubled-- and retailers are probably taking a loss since the wholesale price of eggs has tripled.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

For more context-- one of the Asian markets in my area is selling ten packs of KN95 masks (Chinese N95 knockoff) for $70.

Boris

Post by Boris »

Turdacious wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:49 am I can't believe I'm gonna do this, but Ducane isn't necessarily teh villain he's made out to be in the press.

He was selling them for $5 each plus shipping. Home Depot is currently selling a box of twelve for $65.64 plus shipping (and they're not in stock). Normally a mask would retail for about $2.50-3.50, or around $2 if you buy them in bulk. For context, the price of a dozen eggs around here has nearly doubled-- and retailers are probably taking a loss since the wholesale price of eggs has tripled.
Yeah, no. Fuck him. When governors and hospitals are begging for PPE, that's not the time to send out a mass email trying to sell them.

Want to give them away or sell them at a reduced cost to your loyal customers as a way to say "thank you for being there for us and now we're here for you"? Awesome.

Want to donate them to health care workers or hospitals and use that generosity to make yourself look good? Also awesome.

Hoard them and then sell them at a mark up during a pandemic? Nope. Fuck him.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Looks like I was half right in a weird backhanded way. Ducane isn't the villain he was made out to be-- he's an entirely different kind of villain.
Ellison’s office sued and shut down the online retailer Dragon Door after it began selling “KN95” masks made in China that were advertised as authentic N95 masks.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavi ... story.html
In a way he's lucky-- those getting caught for selling fake N95s now probably aren't going to get off as easy as Ducane did.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Jesus. Ducane should be in jail.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Schlegel

Post by Schlegel »

I assumed he was unethical a long time ago but it's always a bummer to have that proved right.