RIP: Ruth Bader Ginsberg Dead!

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

RIP: Ruth Bader Ginsberg Dead!

Post by Fat Cat »

On Rosh Hashana no less. 2020 pulling out all the stops!

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dead at 87

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/18/politics ... index.html

Pour one out for the old broad, she deserves everyone's appreciation even if you don't agree with all her decisions. This is bound to make a contentious election even moreso. On an unrelated note: anybody know where I can get 5.56mm NATO ammo in bulk?

Shana Tova!
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Bennyonesix1

Re: RIP: Ruth Bader Ginsberg Dead!

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

The simulation producers are pulling out all the stops

Jfc

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Damn son, her body's not cold but McConnell pulling no punches: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mcconn ... vote-floor
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Luke

Post by Luke »

Bennyonesix1 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:56 pm The simulation producers are pulling out all the stops

Jfc

Fuckshitup.exe ▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▱▱▱ 75%

[CANCEL]

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

I think she's been dead for a while.

motherjuggs&speed

Post by motherjuggs&speed »

Fat Cat wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:40 pm Pour one out for the old broad, she deserves everyone's appreciation even if you don't agree with all her decisions.
Why? I don't get the love for RBG.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

She was not Trump's type
Don’t believe everything you think.

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

Imagine thinking so much of your abilities that you stay on SCOTUS until you die in decrepitude and then no one even mentions your jurisprudential record because it was so weak.

Imagine that level of self-delusion.

Of course it could have just been pure selfishness and love of the office...

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

11F8DBBB-33F1-41F9-9799-7659D7BD9336.jpeg
11F8DBBB-33F1-41F9-9799-7659D7BD9336.jpeg (209.1 KiB) Viewed 4750 times

DrDonkeyLove...
Sarge

Post by DrDonkeyLove... »

Bennyonesix1 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:22 am 11F8DBBB-33F1-41F9-9799-7659D7BD9336.jpeg
This seems almost too good to be true.
If true, this board will probably be the place where it's most acknowledged.

DrDonkeyLove...
Sarge

Post by DrDonkeyLove... »

Deleted for repetition

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

motherjuggs&speed wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:26 am
Fat Cat wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:40 pm Pour one out for the old broad, she deserves everyone's appreciation even if you don't agree with all her decisions.
I don't agree with a lot of her decisions but she spent her life in service to the United States. Isn't that still worthy of appreciation?

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Her friendship with Scalia is the thing that both her and Scalia’s admirers miss. They never agreed on anything except the really important stuff.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

motherjuggs&speed

Fat Cat wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:30 pm
I don't agree with a lot of her decisions but she spent her life in service to the United States. Isn't that still worthy of appreciation?

Not by itself, no. A lot of people did that and did a lot of harm while they were at it.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

DrDonkeyLove... wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:59 pm
Bennyonesix1 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:22 am 11F8DBBB-33F1-41F9-9799-7659D7BD9336.jpeg
That's her opinion of why the court (mostly appointed by Republicans at the time) cast the Roe versus Wade opinion, which was 20 years before she got on the court.

Look at who was in the majority on the opinion, and who nominated them to the court.

Puts a darker turn on it.

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

motherjuggs&speed

Here's the full quote in the article

Q: Are you talking about the distances women have to travel because in parts of the country, abortion is essentially unavailable, because there are so few doctors and clinics that do the procedure? And also, the lack of Medicaid for abortions for poor women?

JUSTICE GINSBURG: Yes, the ruling about that surprised me. [Harris v. McRae — in 1980 the court upheld the Hyde Amendment, which forbids the use of Medicaid for abortions.] Frankly I had thought that at the time Roe was decided, there was concern about population growth and particularly growth in populations that we don’t want to have too many of. So that Roe was going to be then set up for Medicaid funding for abortion. Which some people felt would risk coercing women into having abortions when they didn’t really want them. But when the court decided McRae, the case came out the other way. And then I realized that my perception of it had been altogether wrong.

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/12/maga ... urg-t.html

motherjuggs&speed

nafod wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:29 pm
That's her opinion of why the court (mostly appointed by Republicans at the time) cast the Roe versus Wade opinion, which was 20 years before she got on the court.

Look at who was in the majority on the opinion, and who nominated them to the court.

Blackmun was nominated by Nixon, Stewart by Eisenhower, Douglas by FDR, Burger by Nixon, Brennan by Eisenhower, Thurgood Marshall by LBJ, Powell by Nixon.

Yes, it's all there. All you have to know to determine everything about a justice's beliefs is which President nominated him.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

motherjuggs&speed wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:06 pm

Blackmun was nominated by Nixon, Stewart by Eisenhower, Douglas by FDR, Burger by Nixon, Brennan by Eisenhower, Thurgood Marshall by LBJ, Powell by Nixon.

Yes, it's all there. All you have to know to determine everything about a justice's beliefs is which President nominated him.
I'm betting a lot of people are unaware of makeup of the Roe-v-Wade court.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

motherjuggs&speed wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:04 am
Fat Cat wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:30 pm

Not by itself, no. A lot of people did that and did a lot of harm while they were at it.
Most people do harm and good over the course of their lives. I don't have to agree with her views to appreciate that she worked hard for her vision of the correct interpretation of law. And anyway, she's dead.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

More complicated than that. The move by more conservative Catholics to the Republican Party didn’t really start until Nixon won, and they’re the group that has always cared most about the issue.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Abortion? Canceled.
Gay "marriage"? Canceled.
Women voting? Canceled.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

I've always wondered why Justices hang on until their death bed. If they're actually that concerned about the makeup of the court, why not step down when the political climate in Washington is amenable to selecting and confirming a Justice that's fairly in line with their views? RBG could have stepped down when Obama had the majority and we wouldn't have to go through this fiasco of hypocrisy of the Republicans forcing their nominee through under the exact circumstances they said were unacceptable for Obama to have his nominee confirmed.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

RBG was egotistical in this regard. Obama was sniffing around for her to step down way back in 2014, but she wouldn't have it. Then again, nobody likes being told they're too old and in the way.

Source: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... V020140801