Is foam rolling a meme?

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Is foam rolling a meme?

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:25 pm

Ever since I shredded my right adductor, i have a fair amount of pain in my right hip and lower back.

Generally, I warm it up stretch it out and it's okay, but it always comes back. I have had a foam roller for quite some time, but I wasn't using it, until the other night when things got worse than usual. I gave my hip, thigh, and lower back a solid seeing to, and goddamn if some of the discomfort hasn't resolved itself.

My question for you guys is this: do you use a foam roller? Do you think it has therapeutic value, or just some meme? How do you use it, if you do? And can you recommend any particular type of roller or movements you do on it? Help me bros I'm hurting inside.
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Re: Is foam rolling a meme?

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:25 pm

I got a regular foam roller in my early 30's and thought it was bullshit. "You need firmer foam"
I got a rumble roller and found it to be bullshit. "You need something harder"
I got a lacrosse ball and think I had minor benefit.
I had serious pirifomris pain, got the random orbit buffer, and literally cured it.

If there was a way a fitness scammer could make money telling people to buy a black & decker random orbit buffer, everyone would buy one.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:16 pm

What model ROB is it that you bought?

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:39 pm

Big believer in the self massage. I have super janky hamstrings on both sides and a quad that will cause knee pain if I don't show it who's boss a few times a week. I use one of the trigger point rollers that's pretty much a big PVC pipe with just enough foam on the outside to create the ridges. Also use a LAX ball and this other trigger point ball with spikes on it to really dig in.
Wife got me this Pso-Rite deal for Christmas last year. It's a big U shaped thing that you lay on and it digs into the psoas like nobody's business. But the best use I've found for it is for the adductors. Lay on my side with the inside of my top leg on one of the "hands" and it will move some shit around.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:52 am

Fat Cat wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:16 pm
What model ROB is it that you bought?
Black & Decker WP900 6". I got mine 8 years ago but it looks like it's the same model available now for around $35.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:21 am

Thanks boys.

motherjuggs&speed
Gunny

Post by motherjuggs&speed » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:46 am

Meme doesn't mean myth, or whatever you were trying to say FC. Here, waste some time --

https://knowyourmeme.com/

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:35 pm

Trigger point work has a lot of value but the old Foundation Training 12 minute routine is magic manna.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Hanglow Joe
Gunny

Post by Hanglow Joe » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:42 pm

Foam rolling is good when my vagina is sore.

Luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Luke » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:38 am

Fat, has the discomfort come back?

The issue I've observed - and many others too - is that relief is simply fleeting. The "conventional wisdom" for why they work has been scientifically disproven for awhile - there's no such thing as knots, and they don't roll them out.

The theory is they work on basically by making your nervous system feel good so pain is downregulated. This also means it doesn't matter if you have a soft one or a spiked one. The hardness has nothing to do with actual mechanical soft tissue change. Although a spiked one could feel uncomfortable, to the point your nervous system doesn't chill which is counterproductive. Or, you might simply like the feel of hard PVC and your brain needs that.

I think the key is to particularly one when you're healthy to stay that way, but as turd said, a mobility routine will probably do more because what got you into pain might be biomechanical (weakness, tightness) or training error (like not adequately grading the exposure your body has to your training stimulus).

This is adductor and rolling related coincidentally. Morrison is pretty legit. The deep lunge test he bangs on about is a useful indicator for me how my mobility is. When it regresses for me, I tend to get sore/tweak something:

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:48 pm

Luke wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:38 am
Fat, has the discomfort come back?

The issue I've observed - and many others too - is that relief is simply fleeting. The "conventional wisdom" for why they work has been scientifically disproven for awhile - there's no such thing as knots, and they don't roll them out.

The theory is they work on basically by making your nervous system feel good so pain is downregulated. This also means it doesn't matter if you have a soft one or a spiked one. The hardness has nothing to do with actual mechanical soft tissue change. Although a spiked one could feel uncomfortable, to the point your nervous system doesn't chill which is counterproductive. Or, you might simply like the feel of hard PVC and your brain needs that.

I think the key is to particularly one when you're healthy to stay that way, but as turd said, a mobility routine will probably do more because what got you into pain might be biomechanical (weakness, tightness) or training error (like not adequately grading the exposure your body has to your training stimulus).

This is adductor and rolling related coincidentally. Morrison is pretty legit. The deep lunge test he bangs on about is a useful indicator for me how my mobility is. When it regresses for me, I tend to get sore/tweak something:

Good information, I will look at the video tonight.

Interesting stuff about how rolling might actually work, versus the conventional wisdom. I've heard so much nonsense from "body workers" about relieving knots, detoxifying, and "breaking up scar tissue" that just makes me roll my eyes. So far that one session did really help me, but only time will tell if I can stick with it. I'm the type of person who only stretches when I have to most of the time, so consistency with any kind of mobility and flexibility training would be key.

Luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Luke » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:07 pm

A lot of naysayers drank their contemporary pain science Kool Aid and said it's unproven or effective for different reasons, whereas it's oppositely astounding how the industry will still talk about knots etc. when it's patently false! People do seem to get something out of it - as do I - so I do it from time to time.

A few years ago I did a squat workout with a weird quad and would roll it out after a set, go back and do another one. Each time it was like my body lost the pain signal and I could attack the weights again. Usually if I have a really set in issue, it doesn't do much. But truthfully, I only ever found working on flared up tissue delays it settling down. Doing nothing usually works best.

Some of the bleeding-edge pain science is codifying how to treat the skin and nerves instead. A lot of tendinopathy sensations let's say, they figure are pissed off or trapped nerves - which then throws a lot of the traditional protocols and inflammation arguments out the window too.