UFC 239: Changing of the Guard?

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

UFC 239: Changing of the Guard?

Post by Turdacious » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:03 am

Longtime UFC standouts Melendez, Sanchez, Rockhold, and Holm go down in defeat; 'prospect' Askren loses. Jones gets a victory. Thoughts?
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Re: UFC 239: Changing of the Guard?

Post by Sangoma » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:54 am

Askren's knockout was brutal. And if Tiago's knee didn't malfunction... who knows.

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:40 pm

Luke Rockhold getting flatlined is always a good thing. I asked the Lord to bless Jan's hands and small feet. My prayers were answered.

Gamebred looked like a Tekken character that activated rage drive, and Askren getting his Lazytown looking face smashed is almost as sweet as Rockhold getting laid out by some anonymous pollack. I hope they let Askren and Lawler run it back so that justice can be properly served. Ben's corny ass is almost as big an embarrassment to white people as Colby Covington at this point, and I'm ready for him to go away. Oh, and give Street Jesus a title shot ASAP.

The Holly Holm outcome was not hard to call. I don't care how many world championships she won in women's boxing. The talent pool in that "sport" is pretty shallow, and these fucking Brazilian he-shes have got more testosterone than the average 16yo black kid.

That English lad that tuned up Gilbert Melendez was a fucking world beater. I'd never seen him before, and I have no idea if he has any ground game. If his stand up gets any better over the next couple of years, he's going to be a problem in that division.

Jon Jones can suck 12 miles of dick. I fucking hate that asshole. I don't see anyone on the horizon that can beat him, so I hope he retires soon or gets shot dead in the streets.

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:48 pm

Almost forgot.

If you haven't seen the interviews that Diego Sanchez did on media day, you owe it to yourself to go watch those before some mental health advocacy group pressures YouTube into taking them down. One was with Ariel and the other was with a group of reporters. Diego has always been a little off, but his transceiver has obviously been scrambled.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:11 pm

LOL Kaz you need an outlet for this level of writing.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:46 pm

Rick hold looked exactly the same as he did with Bisping, sort of "I've got more important things to do", rushing and somewhat arrogant. He was taken aback when Blachowitz made it clear early in the first round that he is not going to be an easy put away, but didn't adjust enough to change the outcome.

I like Askren. He is laid back and nonchalant, and I think it's his university background and demeanour that goes against the traditional UFC thrash talking that ticks lots of fans. His post-fight comments on ESPN show his class:
Askren, 34, was complimentary of Masvidal's execution of the knee. He said he expected some sort of technique like that right away, but Masvidal was able to land it perfectly.

"I'm seeing people saying Jorge got lucky," Askren said. "That's not lucky, man. Is it gonna happen 100 out of 100 times, definitely not. But landing a knee like that takes a lot of skill. I couldn't do such a thing."
"I antagonized the s--- out of him," Askren said. "That was on purpose. I was trying to first get him to accept the fight, second then make him mad. Like those extra punches, it's fine. It's probably what should be expected in a scenario like that."

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:46 pm

Ben Askren is cornier than pig shit in November.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:26 pm

Askren watched "Bull Durham" and made up a bunch of canned phrases to use in situations.

I'd like to see a rematch.