Register
section-icon

Forums

Talk about anything you want!

Welcome To

Do you train? Or do you exercise?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • Question for the hive: do you train?  Or do you just exercise?  By train, I mean to say, do you identify a goal and then progressively work towards it? Or do you simply exercise in order to maintain some level of cardiovascular and/or muscular fitness and to burn calories?

My answer: I try to, and have had the most success, when I train with a specific goal in mind.  However, I have often found myself devolving into an exerciser without a clear goal and without a clear progression toward achieving it.  As I’ve gotten older in some ways it becomes harder just to “stay in shape” and I feel like I have to spend more time just holding back the sands of time.

Now you.

• More!
      Up
      Down
      GTFO

Train.

My goal is to surf as well as possible, and the idea of the workouts I do is to allow for that.

It’s a strange sport, in that it’s dependent on mother nature.  No waves and there might be 3-4 workouts a week.  Lots of waves and the gym can get skipped.

The biggest training carry-overs, personally, seem to be general coordination, followed by a low enough volume to not interfere with performance.  Flexibility, explosiveness, and general strength…and then “robustness” — training symmetrically (lunges, woodchoppers, etc.) to balance out an asymmetric activity — round it out.

• More!
      Up
      Down
      GTFO

I’m not doing any sports of MA right now, so I basically train for “health”, although enjoyment and mental release is probably a part of it.

For me, the difference between exercise and training comes down to having some sort of plan & progression. Not a fan, but Rippetoe has an article saying as much which is not half bad.

• More!
      Up
      Down
      GTFO

I’m not doing any sports of MA right now, so I basically train for “health”, although enjoyment and mental release is probably a part of it. For me, the difference between exercise and training comes down to having some sort of plan & progression. Not a fan, but Rippetoe has an article saying as much which is not half bad.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by
        Fat Cat .
    • More!
      Up
      Down
      GTFO

I am just exercising for now. I’ve got a pretty established base of strength, but could definitely improve my flexibility/conditioning. I’ve been working on developing some skills (surfing/paddle-boarding), but I needed a break from training. I’ve trained for something continually for the past decade or more and it helped me improve my overall fitness/strength a great deal, but I feel I’m in a comfortable place to just rest on my laurels for a bit. And the truth is, I hate being around competitive people. Most of them are highly annoying. So, any future “training” will be done for personal goals, not actual competitions.

• More!
      Up
      Down
      GTFO

I like to say ‘train’, and I have some soft goals, but yeah, really I just work out and I’m cool with that. It’s kind of like the difference between ‘practice’ and ‘class’ – is there a difference? Sure. Does it matter? Probably not. A lot of arrogant assholes get all bent out of shape about the difference – I don’t think it matters that much.

• More!
      Up
      Down
      GTFO

Exercise.  The older I get, the more conditioning trumps just about everything else.  Strength is good, but if you can’t apply it for more than a couple seconds, it really isn’t functional.  I’m in my 50’s and anything ignored atrophies to a pitiful state in no time, as Syaigh is going to learn, and it doesn’t get easier to get it back!  In fact there’s the added frustration of knowing that you used to be better.  Call it what you like, but I’m aiming at well-rounded fitness rather than excellence in a specific sport.

-Stick

• More!
      Up
      Down
      GTFO

I’m in my 50’s and anything ignored atrophies to a pitiful state in no time, as Syaigh is going to learn, and it doesn’t get easier to get it back!

-Stick

I will be 49 this year and well aware of the atrophy. 🙂 I feel at this stage of the game it is more important for me to be able to jog 3 miles, hike 10 miles, and push/pull my own bodyweight up and over things than deadlift 300 lbs or throw trees. In fact, after a year off from throwing, I know it would take several months to get back to being competitive without hurting myself, but the damage that does regardless just isnt worth it to me anymore. Ie, I like it when my knees dont hurt.

• More!
      Up
      Down
      GTFO

For me, I think it’s train, where “exercise” is a subset. I agree with the notion that “training” is best approached with a goal in mind in order to make the end result measurable and make yourself accountable. With that in mind my goal in training is what can I select from the exercise toolbox and apply it to training such that the end result is favorable blood sugar readings.

• More!
      Up
      Down
      GTFO

I like to say ‘train’, and I have some soft goals, but yeah, really I just work out and I’m cool with that. It’s kind of like the difference between ‘practice’ and ‘class’ – is there a difference? Sure. Does it matter? Probably not. A lot of arrogant assholes get all bent out of shape about the difference – I don’t think it matters that much.

I can see that.  The flip side, for me, is I actually make more progress, including in terms of general fitness and health, when I at least “pretend” that I am training towards a specific goal.  It helps keep me focused, sure, but it also just helps me keep showing up, which is of first importance no matter what.

Voices

Replies

Tags

This topic has no tags

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.