section-icon

Forums

Talk about anything you want!

Welcome To

Mrs. Shin

Forums Free Speech Mrs. Shin

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    • My friend’s mom passed away in September, and he told me a few things about her I thought were worth sharing.

She didn’t mention her accomplishments.  After she passed (at the age of 88), he found that she had won the humanitarian of the year award for her work reforming the nutrition in the LA jail and prison system (she had a Master’s in nutrition).  She never mentioned it once.

She never said anything unkind about anyone.  When he was 11 he found a letter addressed to her and opened it.  Inside it was filled with expletives.  His mom walked up, glanced over his shoulder, saw what it was, then crumpled it up.  She merely said, “Some people don’t know what they are talking about.” And never discussed it again.

She was open-minded.  Although Korean, she learned from all sorts of people in the prison and learned different ethnic cuisines.  She made tasty sweet yams, Southern fried chicken…and corned beef and hash for St Patricks Day.  Her husband only liked traditional Korean food, so she would always cook two dinners when she’d do her experiments.

Lastly, the motto she lived by was “Never underestimate being kind to someone.”

Rest in peace, Mrs. Shin!

• More!
      Up
      Down
      GTFO

Few things are cooler than an old person who is both surprisingly and unsurprising impressive. Sorry about your loss.

Voices

Tags

This topic has no tags

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.