section-icon

Forums

Talk about anything you want!

Welcome To

The Tokyo Olympics

Forums Free Speech The Tokyo Olympics

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
    • Wait, you assholes don’t have opinions about the goings-on in Tokyo? Sad, but this forum is truly dead.

• More!
      Up
      Down
      GTFO

I would like to be watching them, but I don’t have cable tv anymore and they–NBC–have made it a costly nightmare to watch it any other way.

• More!
      Up
      Down
      GTFO

You can probably watch on the Peacock free app. The time difference doesn’t help, plus the sports NBC wants me to care about (women’s soccer, swimming, tennis and gymnastics) are not the sports I am interested in. Plus the kowtowing to the whole Taiwan doesn’t exist narrative is annoying.

• More!
      Up
      Down
      GTFO

I like the olympics.  But the path to watching them is too much for me to handle.  I don’t know why I just can’t log into an “olympic” channel and pick whatever sport is going on and stream it live.  Show ads.  I don’t care.

And if that exists, then I don’t know why I don’t know that.

I’m cool with network TV showing highlights and all that.  But they showed the entire US/Canadian softball game that had already happened.  Lame.  And then they cut from skateboarding, which I was really interested in, to something else.

It all seems so antiquated.

Just let me stream it for free.  I don’t get why this doesn’t happen.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by
        newguy .
    • More!
      Up
      Down
      GTFO

The wife and I have watched a little bit in the evening.  I have found some of the commercials to be so maddening that I have changed the channel…especially the one about the Mongolian girl born with no legs.  The emotional pandering drives me crazy.  Surely I can’t be the only one here that feels that way.  I’m sure Spells cries every time tho.  Tee hee!  I love fucking with you Troy.

• More!
      Up
      Down
      GTFO

I don’t know why I just can’t log into an “olympic” channel and pick whatever sport is going on and stream it live. Show ads. I don’t care. And if that exists, then I don’t know why I don’t know that.

I assumed that was going to be possible, but apparently not, and I am equally mystified as to why.

• More!
      Up
      Down
      GTFO

I watched some volleyball today.

• More!
      Up
      Down
      GTFO

Uh huh.  Keep going.

• More!
      Up
      Down
      GTFO

fucking useless forum.  a few successful posts, but nothing I post in this thread about that bitch Gwen Berry sticks.

-stick

• More!
      Up
      Down
      GTFO

Hmmm, really seems like we’re being moderated…

• More!
      Up
      Down
      GTFO

Amazing!  I can point out, multiple times, that the US Oly team is employing dissidents that hate America (and should be forcibly evicted) and the posts disappear.  Not including a link the quisling POS seems to be key…

-stick

• More!
      Up
      Down
      GTFO

Hmmm, really seems like we’re being moderated…

Perhaps if you posted more hot female athletes we could overcome this challenge in style?

• More!
      Up
      Down
      GTFO

It appears they are allowing a NZ trans weightlifter into women’s division who competed in juniors as a male, which seems absurd.

• More!
      Up
      Down
      GTFO

My previous post was swallowed by this shitheap software.  Regardless, trans-women competing against actual women makes a mockery of women’s sports, which are supposed to be a liberating pathway for women to display their talent and skill.

• More!
      Up
      Down
      GTFO

Drag to see the karate final end in a DQ on a knockout. I don’t recall seeing somebody score a KO with a lead leg round kick. Dude was fast.

• More!
      Up
      Down
      GTFO

I like the olympics. But the path to watching them is too much for me to handle. I don’t know why I just can’t log into an “olympic” channel and pick whatever sport is going on and stream it live.

One nice thing has been that NBC has basically put highlights of the really good stuff up on Youtube. I caught up on all of the wrestling matches that way, although would rather have watched them live (at 4:00 AM local time?)

• More!
      Up
      Down
      GTFO

Drag to see the karate final end in a DQ on a knockout. I don’t recall seeing somebody score a KO with a lead leg round kick. Dude was fast.

Any links?  And how did they handle the similarity between Olympic taekowndo and karate?  And overall, what did you think of Olympic karate?  Was it successful both as a sport and spectator event?

• More!
      Up
      Down
      GTFO

Grandpa’s Spells wrote:
      Any links? And how did they handle the similarity between Olympic taekowndo and karate? And overall, what did you think of Olympic karate? Was it successful both as a sport and spectator event?

Wrote this long ass thing and it didn’t post. That’s aggravating.

Any links?

10 sec before KO here: https://youtu.be/A1HQDP-tkxo

And how did they handle the similarity between Olympic taekowndo and karate?

It’s pretty different. The rules are farther apart then Greco vs. Freestyle Wrestling. TKD you can’t score head punches, can’t sweep, no takedowns. IIRC they also don’t necessarily stop to score by default.

And overall, what did you think of Olympic karate?

It’s more “sporty” than when I was in, and the rules are a little different, and they’re conforming to a rule set. The challenge is with striking tournaments is you have to figure out a way to have a large field and not wreck all the competitors. You can:

a) remove head punches of any contact, like TKD or Kyokushin
      b) increase protective equipment and open up contact, like boxing/MT
      c) Limit protective equipment and restrict head contact – WKF/Olympic karate.
      d) MMA rules – K.D./K.O. limit number of matches in a week. I don’t know how you do this with a large field.

The main problem that comes up is people end up with tooth/facial bone injuries, cuts, etc., and at the international level refs hate DQing people so things used to get out of hand. In the late 90s early 00s guys were getting multiple concussions in a day and you could see them still a little punchy days later. Fractures around sinuses, orbital bones etc. all shitty stuff. Even now they had an Italian lady get a pretty bad cut on the head and got blood everywhere, German dude broke his elbow I think, and there’s only 3 weight classes per gender right now.

In that gold medal match, they basically had to DQ *somebody* because you pretty much have to blast somebody to KO with a lead leg like that, and if that’s permitted the competitors will escalate since it’s easier to fight a guy once his nose is broken. Arguably the other guy was coming really careless, but the Saudi was very, very fast.

Was it successful both as a sport and spectator event?
      I’m probably a bad judge of that. I find Olympic TKD uninteresting and I suspect most people find the same about this, minus the injuries.

At least a couple people are accepting Karate Combat contracts so that will be very interesting.

• More!
        Up
        Down
        GTFO

Thanks for the answers.  After I posted I tracked down the Olympic final you are talking about. Seemed to me that the Iranian was to blame for the KO, he was coming in with his hands low and ate a snap kick.  It didn’t seem to me like the Saudi was winging full blast, but the combined momentum was enough for lights out.  He was fast as hell tho.

So do you think that karate will replace TKD as the “Olympic sport with people punching and kicking in white outfits”?

Also, do you follow Karate Combat?  I posted some fights from there back in the day and am glad to see it advancing.

• More!
      Up
      Down
      GTFO

I was excited to watch it, but didn’t find it compelling. I get the need to not blast somebody, but then it just looks goofy. Like fencing where you are trying to touch somebody on a body part, but not with a cool rapier.

They could just have little probes on their gloves and wire suits, and try to make contact and set off a buzzer. Like competition tickling.

That Saudi had speed.

• More!
        Up
        Down
        GTFO

So do you think that karate will replace TKD as the “Olympic sport with people punching and kicking in white outfits”?

It’s already not in the Paris Olympics, which was decided before the competition, so quite unlikely. Also, Olympic TKD has been around forever now.

Also, do you follow Karate Combat?  I posted some fights from there back in the day and am glad to see it advancing.

I have a little bit, I GIF’d that one back in the early ones of the Spaniard, sweeping and wrecking that guy. It was pretty sweet. It sounds like they have GSP, Bas, and Machida coaching, which is awesome, as it reflects stylistically the three guys who found success (maybe less so GSP who’s really a grappler to me but still).

It’s almost inevitable to me that the optimal fighting style will move towards whatever the gear and rules reward. At the moment, they are using some really big gloves, so I think it will look a lot more like kickboxing in a short period of time. Less risk of a one-punch knockdown will narrow stances and reduce need for range control. For me, that sort of flies in the face of the coolest part of karate. Watching early UFC Machida bouts where he’s controlling distance and bewildering people was great. Make them kickbox and you’re probably going to see mediocre kickboxers. Machida talked about competing in this at some point and I think he will do terribly with gloves that big.

I would somewhat prefer smaller glovers like UFC sizes, as the stance there will more closely resemble a karateka’s fighting stance, and the risk head punches goes way up.

• More!
      Up
      Down
      GTFO

I can definitely see what you mean about the glove size making a big difference.  It would be better if they used MMA gloves, I don’t like to see guys fight with their hands low and not respecting punches.  Machida would always lower his hands at range and rest his shoulders, but had enough sense to bring them up when he was in close.

• More!
      Up
      Down
      GTFO

There was an Olympics ?  But seriously, for the first time in my life I didn’t watch a single second of coverage. This is sad because when I was a kid, the Olympics, especially Winter, were huge in my house. The whole family would get together to watch. They were always politicized, protests in ’68, boycotts in ’80 and ’84 but it just seems nastier now. I’m old and tired and just can’t give a shit anymore.  It all seems like a big waste of money and resources now.

Voices

Replies

Tags

This topic has no tags

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.