The couch thread

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

T200
Sergeant Commanding

Re: The couch thread

Post by T200 »

Injury forum fun:
Overtraining won't heal?

So let me explain my situation. It's a long story, but I would REALLY appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.

I'm a quite dedicated meditator. I do simple meditation, usually sitting on the floor, and for the past year and a half I've been doing at least 2 hours of meditation per day (most of the time).

About a year ago, I found crossfit and thought it was awesome! I got so enthusiastic that I was training a little too hard. I wasn't resting enough, and sometimes doing a little extra workout here or there just because it was so much fun! And, on top of it all, I was still sitting on the floor with a straight back for 2 hours per day (which is a bit of a workout in itself).

After about 3 months on crossfit, I started noticing fatigue and soreness that would show up a day or two after the workout. It got worse - turned into heavy heavy fatigue, headaches, depression, soreness throughout the body, and pain in joints. I researched and discovered "overtraining"! Oh, damn!

To recover, I had to spend a couple days in bed not moving at all. I did my meditation lying down.

After a couple days, I was able to resume my meditation, but didn't do excercise again for about two weeks.

After two weeks, I tried to get back into the excercise, but the overtraining symptoms came on again very quickly and with very light workouts.

After that, I basically gave up on excercise, and continued to pursue the meditation.

For the most part, the pain went away, and I was able to continue my life peacefully and relatively painlessly.

However, when I went on meditation retreat, I started sitting for 8-10 hours per day (on the floor, with a straight back), and these same symptoms of fatigue and soreness came on again!

I figured it could possibly be from the intensive meditation, and one meditator friend suggested that it could be psychosomatic pain simply from the stress of meditation or something.

I have considered this possibility, but the thing is that it seems to be very much related to the tension held in my legs and back when I sit (or sometimes even when I do long hours of walking meditation).

When, I don't use these muscles, the symptoms go away. When I use these large muscle groups (legs and back) for any considerable amount of time, the symptoms return.

It's now been eight months since I stopped crossfit, and I'm still experiencing these issues.

I've decided to simply not do so much sitting and walking meditation, and do more lying down meditation (though this is sometimes more like "sleeping meditation", but whatever)

I'm concerned about my body and don't really know how to proceed. I've tried the suggested remedy (rest), and it seems only to give temporary relief.

Do I simply need more rest? Is it possibly just chronic pain or psychosomatic? Are there cases of overtraining that have such long lasting effects? Who would I see for treatment about this, or is there even any treatment available?

For now, I'm just going to lie around like a vegetable, which doesn't feel very good. But, I'm not sure what else to do.

Any thoughts or advice would be HUGELY appreciated.

Thanks,

Daniel

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Gotta be fake. Who the hell asks CF about "meditation injuries" eight months after quitting CF.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

The Nightman

Post by The Nightman »

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote:
Sofa King wrote:America continues to glorify its insects.

Shaun White? Can't do as many bongloads as couch
Lindsey Vonn? Not as andro as Eva T.
Shani Davis? What the fuck is his Fran time?
I bet Davis would humble a shit load of @fitters at just about whatever they threw out to test him. Speed skaters have tons of power in their legs and tons of aerobic and anaerobic capacity.
I trained a two time national champ inline skater, he was the definition of skinny strong. His wife trained both ice and dry-land had the typical skater body and booty, she trained with bonnie blairs husband for a while. Both would lay the smack down in most wOdS.
Last edited by The Nightman on Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master »

Sofa King wrote:America continues to glorify its insects.

Shaun White? Can't do as many bongloads as couch
Lindsey Vonn? Not as andro as Eva T.
Shani Davis? What the fuck is his Fran time?
Speaking of glorious insects, I need another look at Julia Mancuso.

Last edited by Gin Master on Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

That pic gives new meaning to the old term LangeBang.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

Yes I Have Balls

Post by Yes I Have Balls »

Alex Europa, SOMEDAY, will wake up from the matrix, but for now, he's still a cunt.

In arguing @fit's worth in this thread: http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.ph ... 94&page=15
Data: 2 CrossFiters handily beat 2 pro football players in a CrossFit workout by 5 minutes. The only movement specific to CrossFit was 135-lbs thrusters.
Of course what coppertop FAILS to mention is that the football players had already been through MULTIPLE other workouts that day PRIOR to doing @fit.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

Yes I Have Balls wrote:Alex Europa, SOMEDAY, will wake up from the matrix, but for now, he's still a cunt.

In arguing @fit's worth in this thread: http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.ph ... 94&page=15
Data: 2 CrossFiters handily beat 2 pro football players in a CrossFit workout by 5 minutes. The only movement specific to CrossFit was 135-lbs thrusters.
Of course what coppertop FAILS to mention is that the football players had already been through MULTIPLE other workouts that day PRIOR to doing @fit.

Alex also failed to mention that it's (a) not surprising, and (b) ultimately pointless that 2 Crossfitters beat non-Crossfitters at a Crossfit workout. Is Alex insinuating that the Crossfitters would've beat the footballers at the NFL combine? Or that, with a few practices, the footballers wouldn't come back and smoke the Cultfitters at their very own workout?
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

kreator

Post by kreator »

protobuilder wrote:
Yes I Have Balls wrote:Alex Europa, SOMEDAY, will wake up from the matrix, but for now, he's still a cunt.

Alex also failed to mention that it's (a) not surprising, and (b) ultimately pointless that 2 Crossfitters beat non-Crossfitters at a Crossfit workout. Is Alex insinuating that the Crossfitters would've beat the footballers at the NFL combine? Or that, with a few practices, the footballers wouldn't come back and smoke the Cultfitters at their very own workout?

Professional football players? What team did they play for? As far as I can tell they were good in college but never played pro.

GoDogGo!
IGX Honorary Lesbian

Post by GoDogGo! »

WildGorillaMan wrote:
That pic gives new meaning to the old term LangeBang.
Holy god is that a good looking woman. Damn.
The flesh is weak, and the smell of pussy is strong like a muthafucka.

T200
Sergeant Commanding

Post by T200 »

I'm not sure how this warrants a thread (even in Bizarro @Fit land) but here it is...
Finger crunched between weight & weight rack

Middle figure caught between dumbell & weight rack as it was falling. Cut on the knuckle (treated w/ neosporin & bandaids for about a week) and some bruising & swelling. Swelling went down after 1-2 days with bruising remaining. Full mobility of finger after 1st 24 hours or so.

Did wallballs today and caught one on the side of the injured finger. Now today finger seems to be very cold and limited feeling. Not much swelling (bruising still noticeable).

Original injury about 10 days ago....any ideas? Something to be checked out or common with bruising/contusion like this? No real pain associated with movement.
I'm sure I have pinched my finger in the gym more than ten times. I never considered seeking medical attention.

Katherine Derbyshire (aka Gary John) suggest the time-honored solution of checking capillary refill time:
How's the capillary refill time? Squeeze the fingernail until it goes white underneath. When you let go, it should go back to pink almost instantly.

If it doesn't, see a doctor. Lack of circulation in an injured extremity is just asking for bad complications.

Katherine

Takafumi
Manrammer, 3rd Rate

Post by Takafumi »

T200 wrote:Injury forum fun:
Overtraining won't heal?

...For now, I'm just going to lie around like a vegetable, which doesn't feel very good. But, I'm not sure what else to do.

Any thoughts or advice would be HUGELY appreciated.

Thanks,

Daniel
Daniel:

Lying around like a confused vegetable is a @fit domain - it is termed "sweat angel." Scale your efforts to avoid dehydration and remain alert to avoid ineluctable buggery.

Couch

Hank Scorpio
A Mean Caucasian

Post by Hank Scorpio »

There's a shitload of these vids and they're pretty fucking funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHcUEqtF ... re=related

You have no chance to survive make your time.
Ha Ha Ha Ha ....

kreator

Post by kreator »

Five rounds for max reps of:
2/3 Body weight thruster
Pull-ups

Expect to see broken wrists tomorrow. Especially for the big guys.

T200
Sergeant Commanding

Post by T200 »

Uh oh. That does look like a bad one.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Time to introduce Splintered the XF Mime

Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

kreator wrote:Five rounds for max reps of:
2/3 Body weight thruster
Pull-ups

Expect to see broken wrists tomorrow. Especially for the big guys.
2/3 bw is gonna be the normal thruster load of 95lbs for most of those little twinks
Ed Zachary wrote:Best meat rub ever is Jergen's.

Anon

Post by Anon »

T200 wrote:I'm not sure how this warrants a thread (even in Bizarro @Fit land) but here it is...
Finger crunched between weight & weight rack

Middle figure caught between dumbell & weight rack as it was falling. Cut on the knuckle (treated w/ neosporin & bandaids for about a week) and some bruising & swelling. Swelling went down after 1-2 days with bruising remaining. Full mobility of finger after 1st 24 hours or so.

Did wallballs today and caught one on the side of the injured finger. Now today finger seems to be very cold and limited feeling. Not much swelling (bruising still noticeable).

Original injury about 10 days ago....any ideas? Something to be checked out or common with bruising/contusion like this? No real pain associated with movement.
I'm sure I have pinched my finger in the gym more than ten times. I never considered seeking medical attention.

Katherine Derbyshire (aka Gary John) suggest the time-honored solution of checking capillary refill time:
How's the capillary refill time? Squeeze the fingernail until it goes white underneath. When you let go, it should go back to pink almost instantly.

If it doesn't, see a doctor. Lack of circulation in an injured extremity is just asking for bad complications.

Katherine

I would hang a leech off that finger for about a week.
"Anonymous. Because none of us are as cruel as all of us."

A1A BA
Manrammer, 2nd Rate

Post by A1A BA »

Friday :drinkers:

Image A bird with one wing can't fly.

sanchezero

Post by sanchezero »

hmmm.
Attachments
Fitness_by_Tonyr.jpg
Fitness_by_Tonyr.jpg (158.18 KiB) Viewed 8211 times
Creative_License_by_Tonyr.jpg
Creative_License_by_Tonyr.jpg (276.36 KiB) Viewed 8211 times
08b_by_Tonyr.jpg
08b_by_Tonyr.jpg (180.15 KiB) Viewed 8210 times
have you ever been as far as even considered go want to do look more like?

sanchezero

Post by sanchezero »

ok
Attachments
Warehouse_by_Tonyr.jpg
Warehouse_by_Tonyr.jpg (114.25 KiB) Viewed 8210 times
Vulnerable_2_by_Tonyr.jpg
Vulnerable_2_by_Tonyr.jpg (383.28 KiB) Viewed 8209 times
More_History_by_Tonyr.jpg
More_History_by_Tonyr.jpg (231.29 KiB) Viewed 8209 times
have you ever been as far as even considered go want to do look more like?

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman »

Nice group of girls. Usually the @fit girls of Andro Friday have Traps like Bill Kazmaier, and their little man in the boat looks like Jason and the Argonauts.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Thud
Sgt. Major

Post by Thud »

WildGorillaMan wrote:Way to open strong, guys. I can't compete with that this week.
You still put it up, brotherman. You are the original AndroFridayer and you can still outperform more AndroFridayers than not!

T-L

Post by T-L »

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

That's what monkeys like to see.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.