The couch thread

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Re: The couch thread

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

JohnnyBadAss wrote: Perhaps some of the affiliates are so gung-ho about this ridiculosity that they've doubled up on paying.
That's what I figure.

My money's also on cooch kicking in whatever is needed to reach the 500k at the last second. This will of course be after much brow beating to get as much blood from the affiliates as possible, then bitching at them about how he's having to cover THEIR ass by ponying up a few grand to meet the RRG funding.

This will be followed by much couch ball washing by the tongues of his followers for being such a generous leader.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master »

Mike's Gym is not an affiliate. Greg's is. They're a sponsor for the CF Games, and I'm sure they'll throw in the table minimum to stay in that game.
Patrick Donnelly wrote:In these comments: http://www.crossfit.com/cf-affiliates/2 ... 508_1.html
(The same place Steve Rakow's post came from earlier.)

Here's some more stuff from him, just preserving it in case it gets deleted.
Gant Grims wrote:A bunch of shit they don't understand.
That thread is a cluster fuck. An @Fer trying to defend the program against valid criticism is like an amputee dribbling a football.

The @F debate kit:
1) argumentum ad hominem (a favorite of the @F forums)
1a) argumentum ad hominem cum Tanqueray (ad hominem laced with gin)
2) argumentum ad ignorantiam (Troy)
3) straw man (Steve)
4) argumentum ad ignorantiam (Dave)
5) Circulus in demonstrando (the rest of them when they don't slip into 1 or 1a)
and, of course

6) Non Sequitur + red herring = WTF?
JLet's just get this thing funded. Yeah, fuck it. What are you waiting for?

Let the nay-sayers (most of whom are non-affiliates) do their thing, like they always do. Because only affiliates can think this through.

If they believed that strongly in CrossFit, they would probably be affiliates, right? Riiiight. Come on, everybody!We need some group affirmation here.

So there is no reason to be surprised at their opposition. If you're not with us, you're against us. And if you're against us, you're STEWPID.

It makes perfect sense, actually. Rave on, people, rave on. Yeah, perfect sense. WTF?

Comment #38 - Posted by: Lisbeth at May 9, 2009 3:47 PM

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank »

JohnnyBadAss wrote:Perhaps some of the affiliates are so gung-ho about this ridiculosity that they've doubled up on paying.
Actually, there is now a link on the RPG page for "Donations". That's likely where the discrepancy lies.

Mike's Gym http://www.mikesgym.org is very much an @F affiliate:
Mike's Gym is a Regional Training Center for USA Weightlifting, which is the governing body of the sport—Olympic style Weightlifting, as well as a crossfit gym affiliate where the crossfit philosophy is highly adhered to.

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master »

Resident Quack wrote:
JohnnyBadAss wrote:Perhaps some of the affiliates are so gung-ho about this ridiculosity that they've doubled up on paying.
Actually, there is now a link on the RPG page for "Donations". That's likely where the discrepancy lies.

Mike's Gym http://www.mikesgym.org is very much an @F affiliate:
Mike's Gym is a Regional Training Center for USA Weightlifting, which is the governing body of the sport—Olympic style Weightlifting, as well as a crossfit gym affiliate where the crossfit philosophy is highly adhered to.
Oh fuck, why, Burg, why? Oh well, price of doing business. I doubt Burg has put the stopwatch on somebody doing Tran in his gym.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Nice stuff Gin Master.

Burgener loves Crossfit for his high school PE classes, is what I hear. I'm sure he's been comped all that stuff. He's regarded as the #1 source of OL info for Crossfit.

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master »

Dammit. No Douchebag of the Week award for our celebrity couple. Keep trying, guys. It has to be out there.
(Dis)honorable mention to Grad School Melissa and Whiffy the Clown, Umbiko's Vision, The Frying Pan to the Head 'Bag, and the massively impressive Trunk, all of whom were thisclose, and in a regular week, each probably would've made it.
In other news, this is the first love triangle I've seen where the human and animal involved both want to kill and eat each other. Competition is a bitch.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_pV6qiByixbo/S ... 09+572.jpg

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Gin master is rant.

I should have fucking knew it all along!

JohnnyBadAss
Staff Sergeant

Post by JohnnyBadAss »

The Bastard Son of the Shafman wrote:Gin master is rant.

I thought Gin Master was The Couch himself?

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank »

The Bastard Son of the Shafman wrote:Gin master is rant.

No, I can tell you for sure that he is not Rant.

Thud
Sgt. Major

Post by Thud »

The Bastard Son of the Shafman wrote:Burgener isn't "crossfit" per se.

Everett's place is "Catalyst Athletics"
I'm not expert, but I always thought CA was operated by Greg but out of Mike's Gym. Maybe this confusion was born from seeing so many videos of Greg doing lifts at Mike's Gym on the CF video page. Has CA always had it's own unique location?

In either case, I don't see Catalyst or Mike's on the RRG page, which was my main point:

http://www.crossfitrrg.com/

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Greg now has his own facility. A very sweet one, BTW.

Gary John
Gunny

Post by Gary John »

Burgener is gold. The x-fit connection has worked well, for Glasshole.

Been to Greg's place in Sunnyvale. Nice.

POD
Gunny

Post by POD »

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote:
JohnnyBadAss wrote: Perhaps some of the affiliates are so gung-ho about this ridiculosity that they've doubled up on paying.
That's what I figure.
A hundred of them? No fucking way. Only ~165 even bothered to contribute once, and that's out of more than a thousand. It would be funny though, if there was such a huge gap in the cult mindset. 100 dedicated, 65 with one foot in, and 850 who just got in it for the money and will get the fuck out when it stops paying.

It made me sad to see Brose on that list.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

Patrick Donnelly wrote:
Alfred_E._Neuman wrote:
That's what I figure.
A hundred of them? No fucking way. Only ~165 even bothered to contribute once, and that's out of more than a thousand. It would be funny though, if there was such a huge gap in the cult mindset. 100 dedicated, 65 with one foot in, and 850 who just got in it for the money and will get the fuck out when it stops paying.

It made me sad to see Brose on that list.
I think you'd be surprised. I noticed that CF Boston is on the list twice as is Again Faster. John Gilson runs Again Faster out of CF Boston. So he's found a way to kick in at least 3 times.

If they're really pimping this thing as ownership stakes in some money making venture, it wouldn't surprise me if some of the bigger affiliates kicked in several grand hoping to make money.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Botototo
Staff Sergeant

Post by Botototo »

Yeah, Greg E's new place is great. Worth a visit, he's doing open workouts most Saturdays.

fatbastard
Corporal

Post by fatbastard »

Patrick Donnelly wrote:$298,900 / $500,000

4 days left. The scare tactics really have been working. However, I count about 165 affiliate gyms on the list, and 160 trainers (simply by counting one column and multiplying by five). That comes out to 165 * $1000 + 160 * $200 = $197,000

Where in the fuck did the extra hundred thou come from? Looks like someone seeded the tip jar.
There's six columns.

Thud
Sgt. Major

Post by Thud »

Thud wrote:
In either case, I don't see Catalyst or Mike's on the RRG page, which was my main point:

That's a good point, Thud, you sexy thing. It is interesting those boys aren't out in front supporting this thing, like, for example Rippetoe. And with GE's recent article calling the lack of CF periodization to task it makes me wonder if a rift is underfoot.

It's also possible that, with all their other accreditations, real coaches are less likely to be shut-out by insurers. Not to mention real trainers are less likely to damage their trainees.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King »

Burgener is a certified USAW coach and is probably covered by them somehow. I think Everett is certified but not to the extent Burgener is. Either way, neither needs the clusterfuck that is the RRG.
WGM wrote:Fall off a chinup bar, drop a barbell on your head, or piss yourself at the bottom of a squat and the Internet will never forget you.

POD
Gunny

Post by POD »

fatbastard wrote:
Patrick Donnelly wrote:$298,900 / $500,000

4 days left. The scare tactics really have been working. However, I count about 165 affiliate gyms on the list, and 160 trainers (simply by counting one column and multiplying by five). That comes out to 165 * $1000 + 160 * $200 = $197,000

Where in the fuck did the extra hundred thou come from? Looks like someone seeded the tip jar.
There's six columns.
Fuck. So I can count to 33, but not to 6? How the fuck does that work?

Even with the sixth column, the math still doesn't add up right.

sigifrith007

Post by sigifrith007 »

Thud wrote:
Thud wrote:

That's a good point, Thud, you sexy thing. It is interesting those boys aren't out in front supporting this thing, like, for example Rippetoe. And with GE's recent article calling the lack of CF periodization to task it makes me wonder if a rift is underfoot.

It's also possible that, with all their other accreditations, real coaches are less likely to be shut-out by insurers. Not to mention real trainers are less likely to damage their trainees.

So you say that Rippetoe IS out in front supporting this?

Dalp
Recruit

Post by Dalp »

sigifrith007 wrote:
Thud wrote:
Thud wrote:

CFWF is on the list, but I haven't heard Rip say anything about it. Did he?

CultBuster
Staff Sergeant

Post by CultBuster »

Rip is http://crossfitwichitafalls.com/ and they are in.

No Hyperfit
No Santa Cruz Central (that is Eva, Annie, Rob Miller and Zak Pine) old school @ Fitters
No Miami
No Va Beach! (Blaur's place where B-Boi trains)

I have seen a bunch of high pressure e-mails floating around. CFHQ will toss in the rest to convince everyone how solid the "community" is. I think the true believers thought they would raise a million. The letters and frantic messages on the boards are showing a panic about cracks in the community (WTF is that anyway!) If you are doping something that EVERYONE disagrees with (Boyle, Twight, Cosgrove, ACSM, NSCA, USAW, on and on)at some point they are not all not getting it. If everyone has to be wrong before your right, thats a problem. I want to see this thing turn into the big pile of shit it will. When they are litigating for some douche who Rhabdos someone and has puke buckets all over the web and shit like thishttp://greyskullelite.blogspot.com/

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank »

If someone is current in both their USAW Coach and NSCA CSCS/CPT membership, they have insurance in both of them. Note that this would require getting a cert that actually has a written test at the finale...

No need for more, IMO (I personally wouldn't get more even if I did do @F). Rip did quit his CSCS though...

Thud
Sgt. Major

Post by Thud »

Dalp wrote:
sigifrith007 wrote:
Thud wrote:
Thud wrote:

CFWF is on the list, but I haven't heard Rip say anything about it. Did he?
"out in front" was a poor choice of words, but his gym is signed up, while CA and Mike's Gym are not.

CF has been a cash cow for Rip - he knows to take care of couch because couch put him on the map. Without CF he was just another local black iron gy struggling to fill the place with $350/yr memberships. I get the sense Bergener, and now CA, seem to feel their involvement with CF is less critical - perhaps even a looming liability. Berg trains national level athletes, and his 4 platform garage gym really can't support a dozen dweebs kipping and puking about, trying to show his sweet daughter their penis tats and piercings.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank »