Jackie Chan hates America

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Jackie Chan hates America

Post by DikTracy6000 »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wor ... ckie-chan/

Americans know Jackie Chan best for his cheery, acrobatic performances in action movies such as “Rumble in the Bronx” and “Rush Hour,” made successful by his amazing martial artistry and self-effacing comedy. Chinese know Chan, a Hong Kong native, for largely the same reasons. But they also know him for something most Americans might find surprising: He is passionately political, a staunch defender of the Chinese Communist Party and harsh critic of anyone he sees as opposing Beijing. Today, that includes the United States.

Chan, responding to widespread criticism of China’s recent censorship of a popular newspaper, insisted in a Chinese TV interview that the United States is “the most corrupt country in the world.” He scolded Chinese who criticize their country in a way that foreigners can hear or see, adding that he’s careful to only praise China when giving interviews in the U.S.

Here are his comments, translated into English by Ministry of Tofu, which also has the video. It’s worth watching to see how animated he becomes when criticizing the U.S. and defending China. I don’t speak Chinese, unfortunately, but if you’re like me then you can follow him a little by listening for the word “Meiguo,” which means America. (Fun fact: It translates literally to “beautiful country.”)

Jackie Chan: The New China. The real success has been made in the past dozen of years. Our country’s president also admits they have the corruption problem, and some other stuff, but we are making progress. What I can see is our country is continuously making progress and learning. If you talk about corruption, the entire world, the United State, has no corruption?

Host: America.

Chan: The most corrupt in the world.

Host: Really?

tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Jackie Chan hates America

Post by tough old man »

Couldnt we just call it "Jackie Chan tells the truth"?
"I am the author of my own misfortune, I don't need a ghost writer" - Ian Dury

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

The guy loves his country, for better or for worse, and it's hard to argue the US isn't corrupt. Whether it's the "most" corrupt? Well, actors usually shouldn't be listened to.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby »

If it isn`t Arnold or Chuck!
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

Name a good movie that Chink has made in the last 10 years?

To an actor, writer, etc any publicity is good publicity. Short of being a pedophile or goat fucker, any controversial comment is good for keeping your name in print.
Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of the free man from the slave.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Kraj 2.0
Gunny

Post by Kraj 2.0 »

What's the problem? Only Americans are supposed to love their country and be biasedly uncritical of it? The guy's Chinese. It's to be expected that he loves China. And don't give me the "He made his money in America so he should kiss America's ass" excuse either. If that's the case then we should all be kissing China's ass since 98% of the shit we use every day is made in China.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Being 1/8 Japanese, I naturally despise all things Chinese. Except those that I buy. And Gong Li. And Zhang ziyi.

But fuck this shit.

America Motherfucker! Do you speak it?
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Chessman

Post by Chessman »

He knows where his money comes from and it ain't the US. He makes bank in China every time one of his crappy movies comes out. People in Asia know him differently than in the US. In the US, people think he's a playful clown. In Asia, he's known as a drunk, womanizing, suckup to the commies. He's seen as an embarrassment even in his native Hong Kong.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Chessman wrote:He knows where his money comes from and it ain't the US. He makes bank in China every time one of his crappy movies comes out. People in Asia know him differently than in the US. In the US, people think he's a playful clown. In Asia, he's known as a drunk, womanizing, suckup to the commies. He's seen as an embarrassment even in his native Hong Kong.

That's funny. I've always thought of him as a substandard acrobat in the Bruce Lee fashion, famously charismatic shit talker. Like Bruce Lee, he's a benchmark celebrity, those who revere are an unhappy and unlucky persons to be avoided.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

He was terrible on SNL. Terrible. Like embarrassingly so.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking »

DikTracy6000 wrote: Here are his comments, translated into English by Ministry of Tofu,
say what?

the ministry of tofu?
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

The guy is an entertainer who has been outspoken as being pro-Beijing and pro-party for as long as I can remember - there is nothing new here. His comments, as I understand them, are more that countries should project their best image to the world and take care of problems at home than criticizing the US. Besides, you can't argue that the US isn't corrupt.

More troubling are the Nationalistic comments related to people being unable to criticize the US. Freedom of religion...as long as you believe as I do. Freedom of speech...as long as you don't say anything that I don't like.

The guy is an actor. At least he has a better handle on political issues than many Hollywood actors who speak out on such issues.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Chessman wrote:He knows where his money comes from and it ain't the US. He makes bank in China every time one of his crappy movies comes out. People in Asia know him differently than in the US. In the US, people think he's a playful clown. In Asia, he's known as a drunk, womanizing, suckup to the commies. He's seen as an embarrassment even in his native Hong Kong.
I always thought he was a homo? He's a drunk womanizer?

I've changed my mind. He's fine with me.
- Buck Brannaman

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

baffled wrote:
I always thought he was a homo? He's a drunk womanizer?

I've changed my mind. He's fine with me.
Serious womanizer - Asian women don't like him as much as guys like Chow Yun Fat.

He makes serious cash in the US though. He has spoken out that piracy in Asia is the reason that he comes to the US every few movies to bankroll films that he does in Hong Kong. I wouldn't say that he is an embarrassment either - Hong Kong people are pissed because he has said that they have too much freedom and that Chinese people need to be controlled. He is still held in fairly high esteem though, simply not seen as the a-political clown that he is in the US.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

What kind of chicks does he bang?

Hot ones? Or does he just take what he can get and parade around town with new chicks all the time, ugly or not?
- Buck Brannaman

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

baffled wrote:What kind of chicks does he bang?

Hot ones? Or does he just take what he can get and parade around town with new chicks all the time, ugly or not?
OK, perhaps "womanizer" is a bit much.

This is his wife. They have been married forever.

Some time back, this woman said that he was the father of her kid. Chan didn't deny the affair but didn't do anything about the child.

Ever since then, he has a bad rap among women in Asia - not sure that there are any other confirmed women but we could pretend that he banged Zhang ZhiYi and I could post pictures of her if you like.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Terry B. wrote:we could pretend that he banged Zhang ZhiYi and I could post pictures of her if you like.
That could work
- Buck Brannaman

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

baffled wrote:
Terry B. wrote:we could pretend that he banged Zhang ZhiYi and I could post pictures of her if you like.
That could work
Oh my, could it.

Did you hear rumors about her?

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Terry B. wrote:
baffled wrote:
That could work
Oh my, could it.

Did you hear rumors about her?
Extremely pro-Beijing.
- Buck Brannaman

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

vs.

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master »

Actor. Hates America. Loves Communism. This is shocking.

Gary John
Gunny

Post by Gary John »

Late to the party here.

For the 1/8th Japanese.

The Japanese are Chinese.

Killed off most of the native population a long time ago.

Most Chinese men have a "second" wife once they have the money.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Shut up.
- Buck Brannaman

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

baffled wrote:Shut up.
Thank you.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves »

I really enjoyed the American releases of "Super Cop","First Strike" and "Drunken Master",so I'm not hating on Chan, but I'm not really a fan. Chan hasn't done anything really interesting since then.

Chan's a celebrity who got to be a celebrity by doing really cinematically impressive martial arts choreography and having a "pop-eyed, oh-what-the-hell-NOW?? (a quote but I don't remember whose)" screen presence that was a nice change from the usual stoic preeners who tried to take Lee's place. He can just about "act", which is to say he can be himself on screen. He's a product of his time and place and the system and culture he came from has been very good to him.

Why should anyone care what he thinks, any more than they should care what Cung Le or Oliver Grunier or Tony Jaa thinks?
"I also think training like a Navy S.E.A.L. is stupid for the average person. I would say PT like an infantry unit, run, body weight stuff, hump a little, a little weights and enjoy life if you are not training for specifics." -tough old man