Officer Friendly.

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Re: Officer Friendly.

Post by Beer Jew »

I got a speeding ticket whilst in America. I was going 86 down a 65 road in a Mustang GT. Cops who pulled me over were exceedingly pleasant, to the point of noting my speed as 76 on the ticket to knock me into a lower category of the fine I owed.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Beer Jew wrote:I got a speeding ticket whilst in America. I was going 86 down a 65 road in a Mustang GT. Cops who pulled me over were exceedingly pleasant, to the point of noting my speed as 76 on the ticket to knock me into a lower category of the fine I owed.
That's because you're a Jew. If you'd been black, they would have gunned you down.

OTOH, if you'd been white, they'd have bought you dinner, tequila shots, and a hooker. 'Murika, Motherfucker!
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Blaidd Drwg wrote: Let's make up numbers call those 90%,9% and 1% respectively.

Yet even with those imaginary and beneficent numbers WRT the sliding scale of LE goodness, at the end of the day for a great many people in this country, having a healthy distaste and at the very least a profound mistrust of LE, is not just rational, the reverse would be pathologically irrational.
Meeting that 1%'er Bad Cop is a big downside risk.

W.B. Yeats

Topic author
Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

johno wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote: Let's make up numbers call those 90%,9% and 1% respectively.

Yet even with those imaginary and beneficent numbers WRT the sliding scale of LE goodness, at the end of the day for a great many people in this country, having a healthy distaste and at the very least a profound mistrust of LE, is not just rational, the reverse would be pathologically irrational.
Meeting that 1%'er Bad Cop is a big downside risk.
Numerically the risk is low, in terms of impact, the results are of that 1% catastrophic, especially in communities of people with whom LE in general is apt to lose patience.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Blaidd Drwg wrote: Numerically the risk is low, in terms of impact, the results are of that 1% catastrophic, especially in communities of people with whom LE in general is apt to lose patience.
Why compliance is the odds-on safest policy. BLM & others are encouraging young black people to resist. It's racist in its outcome.

W.B. Yeats

Topic author
Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

johno wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote: Numerically the risk is low, in terms of impact, the results are of that 1% catastrophic, especially in communities of people with whom LE in general is apt to lose patience.
Why compliance is the odds-on safest policy. BLM & others are encouraging young black people to resist. It's racist in its outcome.
While that's "true" in a sense, BLM and the culture of resisting is hardly the core issue.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
johno wrote:
While that's "true" in a sense, BLM and the culture of resisting is hardly the core issue.

If stopped by cops, nothing gives you a better outcome than compliance. Almost nothing you do will make it worse than not complying.

I'm not sure what the core issue is for you. Fewer laws, legal drugz, better hiring practices, greater respect for citizens...

For the immediate future, I circle back to police body cams with PD quickly releasing footage in contested contacts.

W.B. Yeats

Topic author
Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

johno wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:
johno wrote:

If stopped by cops, nothing gives you a better outcome than compliance. Almost nothing you do will make it worse than not complying.

I'm not sure what the core issue is for you. Fewer laws, legal drugz, better hiring practices, greater respect for citizens...

For the immediate future, I circle back to police body cams with PD quickly releasing footage in contested contacts.

Again...all true but in most ways, as relevant as "what was she wearing?"

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape »

Those who would take away our civil liberties are always ready to trot out compliance as an absolute virtue. Don't like warrantless wiretaps, or watchlists, or a militarized police? Just keep your nose clean, citizen, and you won't have any problems. But this ignores the fact that in this country we have rights, and we shouldn't be punished for exercising those rights.

Contempt of cop is not, in fact, a real crime. And it's certainly not punishable by extrajudicial murder.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X »

The thing that's so easy to gloss over if you're a 'cop hater' to any degree, is they are nearly always the first of the 'first responders', just by way of the nature of patrol. They do CPR on non-responsive children while EMS is enroute, rescue people from burning buildings, vehicles, or whatever before FD can get there, help EDP's, an a shit ton more on what we used to call 'The Greatest Show on Earth'. That is the whole other 50% of the job that cop haters of various degrees like to ignore that they get it done day in and out--it's just not as sexy on YouTube. It's a job where you can deal with a dead child, a bloody vehicle accident, and pursue an armed robbery suspect, all in the same shift.

I hope none of you have to rethink your generalized posture by way of a RL experience of you and yours due to thanking a cop for helping your loved-ones with any of the above.

BLM and its lilly white, spoiled sympathizers are fools. Who the fuck do they think calls 911 for emergency calls (crime and non-crime related) all night long in the ghetto? It's not Murray the Jew living 10 miles away. As Chuck D said "Fuck the police but whose stopping you from killing me?"

Topic author
Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

The Venerable Bogatir X wrote:The thing that's so easy to gloss over if you're a 'cop hater' to any degree, is they are nearly always the first of the 'first responders', just by way of the nature of patrol. They do CPR on non-responsive children while EMS is enroute, rescue people from burning buildings, vehicles, or whatever before FD can get there, help EDP's, an a shit ton more on what we used to call 'The Greatest Show on Earth'. That is the whole other 50% of the job that cop haters of various degrees like to ignore that they get it done day in and out--it's just not as sexy on YouTube. It's a job where you can deal with a dead child, a bloody vehicle accident, and pursue an armed robbery suspect, all in the same shift.

We all know this..whether you slot us in "hater" group or not, everyone of adult age in this country realizes the role that LE play. Even those that truly despise atuhtority understand this. and so...in the context of this discussion...it is:

EEEE...relevant.

Seriously, you know better. Step off and recognize we're not talking about the general "good" that people in LE do. We're talking about specific public policy issues and bad behavior that is both pervasive and completely unacceptable...not sort of acceptable in the context of the overall good that LE does. No. Completely Unacceptable. Period.

That's not Cop Hating. That's seeing the forest for the trees.
The Venerable Bogatir X wrote: I hope none of you have to rethink your generalized posture by way of a RL experience of you and yours due to thanking a cop for helping your loved-ones with any of the above.
Clearly you're desperately hoping for the opposite....but what's more important perhaps for you to understand, is that the generalized posture of holding LE accountable is absolutely NOT at odds with being grateful that they exist. Rather the opposite. If LE is to have a respected role in society, refromign LE is Step One in that process.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
The Venerable Bogatir X wrote:The thing that's so easy to gloss over if you're a 'cop hater' to any degree, is they are nearly always the first of the 'first responders', just by way of the nature of patrol. They do CPR on non-responsive children while EMS is enroute, rescue people from burning buildings, vehicles, or whatever before FD can get there, help EDP's, an a shit ton more on what we used to call 'The Greatest Show on Earth'. That is the whole other 50% of the job that cop haters of various degrees like to ignore that they get it done day in and out--it's just not as sexy on YouTube. It's a job where you can deal with a dead child, a bloody vehicle accident, and pursue an armed robbery suspect, all in the same shift.

We all know this..whether you slot us in "hater" group or not, everyone of adult age in this country realizes the role that LE play. Even those that truly despise atuhtority understand this. and so...in the context of this discussion...it is:

EEEE...relevant.

Seriously, you know better. Step off and recognize we're not talking about the general "good" that people in LE do. We're talking about specific public policy issues and bad behavior that is both pervasive and completely unacceptable...not sort of acceptable in the context of the overall good that LE does. No. Completely Unacceptable. Period.

The Venerable Bogatir X wrote: I hope none of you have to rethink your generalized posture by way of a RL experience of you and yours due to thanking a cop for helping your loved-ones with any of the above.
Clearly you're desperately hoping for the opposite....but what's more important perhaps for you to understand, is that the generalized posture of holding LE accountable is absolutely NOT at odds with being grateful that they exist. Rather the opposite. If LE is to have a respected role in society, refromign LE is Step One in that process.
Nice edit job.

Reforming the law is step one in the process--you know better than that.

This thread has always been a generalization of cops, in the US anyway. You're its driver. That is actually ok by me. You're not the first, you won't be the last. Look, compliance at a car stop or SQF is just common sense as it stands today. How the cop and how the civilian handles that on individual basis' is what it is.....once in a blue moon it's ugly, mostly it's no big deal in terms of the 'long arm of the law, reaching too far'. But it happens, no question. So does danger to cops and the people around them and it's their duty to make that split second decision. No easier job for civilians to hate on than cops....except maybe IRS agents and lawyers.

To say I am hoping for the opposite is disgusting to me, especially coming from someone I've engaged with 'offline' and not just forum jibberish. I was merely pointing out that the 'haters' like to dump the cops in whole and this thread is your baby on IGx....you're being assumptive in how people perceive it and 40+ pages of threads point to a blanket damnation of people who do the job. I was merely pointing out the other half of the job and that seems to have gotten you twisted.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:If LE is to have a respected role in society, refromign LE is Step One in that process.
If LEO's are in the right 99% of the time, then no, reforming LE is not Step One. Step One should be a public rejection of the "Hands Up, Don't Shoot" lie and the attendant lie that cops are gunning for black men.

As I've said before, police body cams could do a lot to improve citizen-LE interactions and to disprove Hands Up Don't Shoot lies.

W.B. Yeats

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

johno wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:If LE is to have a respected role in society, refromign LE is Step One in that process.
If LEO's are in the right 99% of the time, then no, reforming LE is not Step One. Step One should be a public rejection of the "Hands Up, Don't Shoot" lie and the attendant lie that cops are gunning for black men.

As I've said before, police body cams could do a lot to improve citizen-LE interactions and to disprove Hands Up Don't Shoot lies.
Funny, both you and BD are my FB buddies and yesterday I posted a pic of some friends and I from 'the job' from the Harlem days. After the fact, I realized I was the only white cop in the pic.....that was 20 years ago....go figure.

Topic author
Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

The Venerable Bogatir X wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:

EEEE...relevant.

Nice edit job.

Reforming the law is step one in the process--you know better than that.

This thread has always been a generalization of cops, in the US anyway. You're its driver. That is actually ok by me. You're not the first, you won't be the last. Look, compliance at a car stop or SQF is just common sense as it stands today. How the cop and how the civilian handles that on individual basis' is what it is.....once in a blue moon it's ugly, mostly it's no big deal in terms of the 'long arm of the law, reaching too far'. But it happens, no question. So does danger to cops and the people around them and it's their duty to make that split second decision. No easier job for civilians to hate on than cops....except maybe IRS agents and lawyers.

To say I am hoping for the opposite is disgusting to me, especially coming from someone I've engaged with 'offline' and not just forum jibberish. I was merely pointing out that the 'haters' like to dump the cops in whole and this thread is your baby on IGx....you're being assumptive in how people perceive it and 40+ pages of threads point to a blanket damnation of people who do the job. I was merely pointing out the other half of the job and that seems to have gotten you twisted.
Jog on with that shit. There's very little thoughtless hating on this thread at all....and roll off the throttle with your other silly assumptions. You wish that more people had your perceptive..I get it. Most people side with a pro-cop hero narrative (need evidence? find two hours of cop drama free TV in a given day). I don't. Most thinking people don't.

You are the one with preemptive butthurt...admittedly based on your real and true experience and your long held biases...Those of us pushing back are No Different. none percent. No one has a conduit to the truth but we all have the abiloty to parse and use reason. In that vein, many things are worth talking about, many things can be said...but what doesn't need to be said, what doesn't need propping up anymore, is this mythology of the Policeman Hero. That's as rare and as aberrant as the dirty cop, set that uniform nutthugging aside. What's really at play in ALL of this is the middle, the subtle bias, the inherent preference towards compliance over reason, the blind faith in SOP and the utterly disgusting and repugnant rank closing and protective posture that comes after the laundry has been aired. That's not by "bad" cops...that's by a solid majority of men who should know better than to believe the company line...any company line.

So what's it gonna be? Company line or ignorance?

And No Johno....99% of all interactions are not kosher. not by a long stretch in any industry or any field ever, in Police work there's inestimable numbers of mistakes and slip ups...LIKE EVERYWHERE ELSE......But let's agree that most interactions are neither good nor bad...but when they do go bad, they go horrifically so.

Boris

Post by Boris »

Seriously, this thread is not about the good cops. I'd guess most of us here have LEOs near and dear to us. We're not talking about them obviously... Posting about brutality doesn't make you anti-cop.

This isn't a Black Lives Matter thread for Christ's sake. No one is saying Blue Lives Don't Matter. We could start a similar thread about doctors or teachers or lawyers or whatever. There are a-holes in every field - we're just highlighting a few in the business of LE.

Topic author
Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Boris wrote:Seriously, this thread is not about the good cops. I'd guess most of us here have LEOs near and dear to us. We're not talking about them obviously... Posting about brutality doesn't make you anti-cop.

This isn't a Black Lives Matter thread for Christ's sake. No one is saying Blue Lives Don't Matter. We could start a similar thread about doctors or teachers or lawyers or whatever. There are a-holes in every field - we're just highlighting a few in the business of LE.

This.

I would bet many of us have an inherent bias against lawyers. I do. I work with them every day. OTOH, any of us ho've ever needed a lawyer are deeply grateful for that skillset, even while having reservations about lawyers in general....and yet, most of us can seperate that most lawyers are "just doing their job"...regardless of adherence, they actually have a canon of professional ethics (most of us do not) and their behavior is highly scrutinized and they are under near constant threat of a lawsuit that could result in loss of fortune and employment. ...yet most lawyers do good work.

BUT.....when they do bad work...it is Very Very bad.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

No butthurt here. I assure you I could give two fuckity fucks less about cop haters, yet I have the 'class' to admit, when they're right, they're right. This thread is designed to cop hate in general.....not just the bad ones or the good ones who make bad mistakes. Do what you want with it as the 'warrior poet' you see yourself as, and have fun with it. Guys will get in the bag, take roll call, and take care of you and yours....whether you like it or not.

Topic author
Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

The Venerable Bogatir X wrote:No butthurt here. I assure you I could give two fuckity fucks less about cop haters, yet I have the 'class' to admit, when they're right, they're right. This thread is designed to cop hate in general.....not just the bad ones or the good ones who make bad mistakes. Do what you want with it as the 'warrior poet' you see yourself as, and have fun with it. Guys will get in the bag, take roll call, and take care of you and yours....whether you like it or not.

Sanctimonious twattery...a new PR! Who's a hater here? name them?, grade them/ give ranking and rationale? No? If you're a man of deep thought on these matters you'd perhaps be able to back up your assertions.

I'm gonna chalk up your atypical outburst to the change in seasons...but FYI..if you believe any of that absolute horseshit you just extruded above....you're as delusional as the BLM twats littering the corners of my fair city.

Topic author
Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Quick sidebar:

Has the term "hater" ever been used accurately by anyone, ever? I think I find the argument you're fussing with to be so repugnant because the very act of calling someone a "hater" is to cede any intellectual or even interesting common ground. To the degree I've ever applied that term to anyone ever, I apologize, retract and will assign myself lashes for falling into such a torpor.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Sanctimonious? Perhaps. I only know that I know a lot more than you on the subject of patrol. It might be dated, but I know a lot fucking lot more. Bitch away.....doesn't matter.

Topic author
Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

The Venerable Bogatir X wrote:Sanctimonious? Perhaps. I only know that I know a lot more than you on the subject of patrol. It might be dated, but I know a lot fucking lot more. Bitch away.....doesn't matter.
Calm your head. No one is questioning your experience...and no one is "bitching" ...Some, perhaps even many are calmly praying you pull your head out and give a reasoned rejoinder and not the standard overworked ridiculous narrative.

At the end of the day, this malfunction is not uncommon, in fact, i think you're more hindered in your judgement by your depth of experience than anything else. I know the subjects I am most deeply cognizant of are the ones I have the weakest lateral thinking on, where a tertiary level of experience with a thing can often lead to greater insight as to the whole than the insider is capable of. At least....a more reasoned understanding of the multiplicity of issues...not this rubbish talk of comply and you'll be fine..or it's a few bad apples. That's not cutting it for anyone.

Or..you're just butthurt as was the original diagnosis.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
The Venerable Bogatir X wrote:Sanctimonious? Perhaps. I only know that I know a lot more than you on the subject of patrol. It might be dated, but I know a lot fucking lot more. Bitch away.....doesn't matter.
Calm your head. No one is questioning your experience...and no one is "bitching" ...Some, perhaps even many are calmly praying you pull your head out and give a reasoned rejoinder and not the standard overworked ridiculous narrative.

At the end of the day, this malfunction is not uncommon, in fact, i think you're more hindered in your judgement by your depth of experience than anything else. I know the subjects I am most deeply cognizant of are the ones I have the weakest lateral thinking on, where a tertiary level of experience with a thing can often lead to greater insight as to the whole than the insider is capable of. At least....a more reasoned understanding of the multiplicity of issues...not this rubbish talk of comply and you'll be fine..or it's a few bad apples. That's not cutting it for anyone.

Your lack of RL experience, like others, in spite of your awesome verbiage, is the issue with the 'diagnosis', I still love 'ya baby, but I know you not a fuck not, about what happens in a moment's notice--and I believe you'll own that. So, there's that little STFU thing going on, on this thread that rates.

Topic author
Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:

Your lack of RL experience, like others, in spite of your awesome verbiage, is the issue with the 'diagnosis', I still love 'ya baby, but I know you not a fuck not, about what happens in a moment's notice--and I believe you'll own that. So, there's that little STFU thing going on, on this thread that rates.
Your RL experience has clouded your otherwise solid thinking. I know what happens in many a moments notice, just not the ones on that side of a the blue line. So...I'll accede your statement and pass the STFU right back.

Now take your tender butthole to a thread where no one will call you on your shit.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:

Your RL experience has clouded your otherwise solid thinking. I know what happens in many a moments notice, just not the ones on that side of a the blue line. So...I'll accede your statement and pass the STFU right back.

Now take your tender butthole to a thread where no one will call you on your shit.
You grasp at the straws of the thin argument of your monumental thread. Keep on keeping on for every little bad thing you can find, that's the easy part.