Just been given an incredible opportunity...

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Re: Just been given an incredible opportunity...

Post by Gin Master »

Gorbachev wrote:Bricks and mortals is a book you could look for. But really at your level it's ok to just say you've an interest and would like to learn more rather than feel you need to display wares. So just google a report on the London Market at the moment - what are prices doing? Is there an overhang of supply or a shortage? Just real high level stuff. So you have something to say. An don't pass it off as your own. Say "I read someone who thought..."

Relax and don't be too eager. Like reading about him is good but don't be creepy. Do find out what a yield is - I had it explained to me. It's something you can joke about - like "I'm construction in Uni but interested in the wider industry but even the definition of yield seems complez so I've a lot to learn".

Too late to "cram" and there's no need. Sleep well and enjoy it.
Good advice here.

I didn't read the original post, but I think I'm caught up. The in-person interview is about "fit." Don't try to act like you're qualified because you're not (how could you be?). A basic knowledge of the leading texts, reports, and trends in your market is fine; it shows that you have taken the initiative and have the ability to determine what's important and what's not. But any attempts to have in depth discussions about these things will be forced and look like you're trying to suck up.

Interviews like this are nice. He is an intelligent person who is looking for talent, not a traditional resume. He has already determined that you're worth talking to, so don't worry about measuring up. Be receptive, but don't appear to be the type that will take any job offered to you (or you will always be fighting for scraps). Be yourself. Otherwise you're being hired for some representation of who you are. That gets hard to keep up with.

Oh yeah. Don't wear your yarmulke and don't ask him to do do Arabian Goggles on you. Good luck.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

and whatever you do, don't scrunch your nose and wring your hands greedily when you see his wallet
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Hey GinFuckin'Master, I gave some good advices too! Why does Gorby get an attaboy and I don't? Are you a racist? You sir are a prick and I hope you get crabs.

jgmack
Gunny

Post by jgmack »

I gave some sound advice, but my post was deleted. Beerjewboy is like a brother to me. Lacking my advice, he is all alone on this one.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

protobuilder wrote:and whatever you do, don't scrunch your nose and wring your hands greedily when you see his wallet
and don't forget to wear a blue dress.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Sassenach
ironslinger

Post by Sassenach »

Shapecharge wrote: get his family the considerable dental work they've not been able to afford.
He's British, the money definitely isn't going for dental work of any kind.
Kazuya Mishima wrote:they can pry the bacon from my cold dead hand.

Topic author
Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew »

LOL. Thank you boys. Gorby actually fucking delivered on this one. All your advice has been thunk about boys, even your's Proto and Shape.

Thatcher II

Post by Thatcher II »

Beer Jew wrote:Gorby actually fucking delivered on this one.
Course he fucking did. He's the man. Don't sound so astounded. You should trawl through all my past posts for my wisdoms. That's what posterity will be doing.

Looking forward to hearing that it went well.
It's great to be first at last

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master »

Shapecharge wrote:Hey GinFuckin'Master, I gave some good advices too! Why does Gorby get an attaboy and I don't? Are you a racist? You sir are a prick and I hope you get crabs.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

Should I even Google "Arabian Goggles" or just let it be?
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 »

Turdacious wrote:Be clear up front about what you want. Are you looking for a job or for an internship? In what area (be realistic about it)? It really should be in an area that you have an affinity and an appropriate background.

All the homework and buttkissing will be wasted if you don't ask. Practice the question you plan on asking. Something like "If you have any internship openings, please consider me. I'd really appreciate an opportunity to prove that I can be an asset to your company." Find something that works for you, and practice asking the question 100 times in the mirror. Stand up when you practice. You will get 0% of the jobs you don't ask for.

A few more things:
--Books to get (and they're probably available at the local library) include "Sweaty Palms" by Anthony Medley (about interviewing and opening doors) and "What Color is your Parachute" (about getting jobs).

--Be prepared to say what you've been doing to improve yourself. Why you're involved in certain charitable endeavors (give back to the community, improve certain skills); new skills you're trying to improve and how (I suggest joining a local Toastmasters group-- great way to improve public speaking skills. If you've been working on improving some of your IT type skills, perhaps with construction management software or getting better with Excel, mention that too.). Have a very brief narrative prepared and practiced about these. Saying you're involved in charitable work because you care about helping people may help but may not. Adding that you're involved because you're looking to work with successful people and learning from them sounds better. Just make it succinct.

--Have a solid resume that is tailored for the job/internship you're looking for. You might want to spend the money to have it professionally done. If you have it professionally done, take in information about the company and field you're trying to get into-- that will help the resume writer tailor it and make sure it has all the right buzzwords. Make sure the resume writer has experience writing for the field you're trying to get into. At least in the States, resume language and formats differ for government and private sector jobs. In general, shorter resumes are better. If you can, take a copy with you.

--Send him a thank you letter for speaking with you. Send it NLT than the day after you speak to him. Email is fine, but if possible, a hand written one will really stand out. Keep it succinct. You want him to get it before he forgets you. You might have to send it to his executive assistant-- nothing wrong with that. This will make you really stand out.
Turd, I have to disagree on your last point. If someone gives a lot of credence to a thank you letter, it's probably someone not worth working for in the first place. I've interviewed probably over a hundred people and been interviewed almost that many times as well. The thank you letter is all HR bullshit. ALL DECISIONS to hire someone is made in the first 30 seconds to 2 minutes in an interview. The next 30 to 60 minutes of the interview, you don't want to fuck up any rapport you've established if any at all. If someone scores high on your list as someone to hire, you will track him or her down even if they've given you the wrong or an old phone number. I know because I've done this with a new-grad engineer, and he was top notch.

I think every article I've read in the last 10 years about how to impress someone on an intervew has been 90% wrong. My advice is: be yourself, dress appropriately, don't bullshit(well a little is okay), and don't have your resume typed by a fifth grader. If your prospective boss doesn't like you at first sight within two minutes, it ain't gonna happen.

Thatcher II

Post by Thatcher II »

DikT channels raw truth through his fingers there. Careful with that boys and girls - it's strong. I would add that if it's the right candidate you're just eager and other job offers to them are expected and you sell your opportunity to them. Someone weak mentions they've another offer it can kill it for me.

But isn't this cumfest supposed to have happened already? Has there been a raincheck? Or a change of heart? Or was it so bad we're not getting even a soupçon of an update? QJ?

Thatcher II

Post by Thatcher II »

Bump.

Give us a fucking clue how it went, QJ. We all tried to give you some pointers. Even Proto-homo and he's in a home now. What the fuck happened?

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Is it possible he's still recovering and won't be able to post until he gets the donut to sit on? I think we can assume it went well until he comes around to counter this assumption.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Thatcher II

Post by Thatcher II »

baffled wrote:Is it possible he's still recovering and won't be able to post until he gets the donut to sit on? I think we can assume it went well until he comes around to counter this assumption.
If by, "went well" you mean, "the old geezer went at him like a kango hammer", then that's a good assumption.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Yup, we're on the same page. He may not get the job he's hoping for, but he'll get a job anyway.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Topic author
Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew »

LOL.... it went well... of sorts. I'm not going to come out of it with a job, (I don't think he was on the same page with regards to that as my mate), but it was a hell of an experience.

It was shorter than I expected, he was just going to visit one of his properties. He does it every weekend. Took maybe 3 hours in total. And we didn't go in the porsche lol.

I'll give you more details when I wake up tomorrow, because I'm off to bed now.

jgmack
Gunny

Post by jgmack »

Did he remind you of the Rabbi who molests you every Saturday?

Topic author
Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew »

He didn't have a beard.

Thatcher II

Post by Thatcher II »

I hope you had the bus fare back to Vauxhall after he booted your near naked body out of his speeding car somewhere on the M25.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

BJ fucked it up
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Topic author
Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew »

Big time. Noone told me I was expected to swallow.