The Rich Suck.

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

The Rich Suck.

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

In fact, just thinking you're part of the upper class makes you suck.
To see whether dishonesty varies with social class, psychologist Paul Piff of the University of California, Berkeley, and colleagues devised a series of tests, working with groups of 100 to 200 Berkeley undergraduates or adults recruited online. Subjects completed a standard gauge of their social status, placing an X on one of 10 rungs of a ladder representing their income, education, and how much respect their jobs might command compared with other Americans.

The team's findings suggest that privilege promotes dishonesty. For example, upper-class subjects were more likely to cheat. After five apparently random rolls of a computerized die for a chance to win an online gift certificate, three times as many upper-class players reported totals higher than 12—even though, unbeknownst to them, the game was rigged so that 12 was the highest possible score.

When participants were manipulated into thinking of themselves as belonging to a higher class than they did, the poorer ones, too, began to behave unethically. In one test, subjects were asked to compare themselves with people at the top or the bottom of the social scale (Donald Trump or a homeless person, for example.) They were then permitted to take candies from a jar ostensibly meant for a group of children in a nearby lab. Subjects whose role-playing raised their status in their own eyes took twice as many candies as those who compared themselves to "The Donald," the team reports online today in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

In another test, participants were asked to list several benefits of greed; they were given the example that greed can help further one's professional goals, then asked to come up with three additional benefits. Again, lower-class subjects whose attitudes toward greed had been nudged in this way became just as likely as their wealthier counterparts to sympathize with dishonest behavior (taking home office supplies, laying off employees while increasing their own bonuses, overcharging customers to drive up profits).
http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2 ... tml?ref=hp

and...under list of things we already knew...
n an interesting twist, about one-third of Prius drivers broke crosswalk laws, putting the hybrid among the highest "unethical driving" car brands. "This is a good demonstration of the 'moral licensing' phenomenon, in which hybrid-car drivers who believe they're saving the Earth may feel entitled to behave unethically in other ways," Piff says. (The Prius results were observed but not analyzed for statistical significance in the study.)
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Re: The Rich Suck.

Post by Gin Master »

Survey says: People are assholes.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

There's nothing noble about the poor. Those fuckers are boozing it up, beating their kids, and raping each other's daughters and doing assholish stuff as much as the rich bastards.

Topic author
Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:There's nothing noble about the poor. Those fuckers are boozing it up, beating their kids, and raping each other's daughters and doing assholish stuff as much as the rich bastards.

Self loathing does not become you.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Shaf's talking from experience here so just cool it. BTW, does Shaf have any daughters?
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

I have family and have had family all up and down the social and economic ladder. I myself have been a child of working poor, then pretty middle class back down to fucking working poor and back to middle class before i was an adult. As an adult I have been lower middle class, damn near at the bottom and now I'd say we are mid working class. I have known and rubbed elbows with Oulaw bikers, Lobbyist, Doctors, Music Bizz execss and I find it's the niggardly poor and the upper middle class who have some of the worst people. Rich, working stiffs and solidly middle class seem to be the best overall. The 3 best men I have known were 1. An Outlaw biker. 2. A retired Army Col., solidly middle class with upper classs mannerisms and a filty rich dude.

Like Gin said, people are assholes, at least most of us are some of the time. I got to be honest, there are a goood number of times I'd like to go back to and be a nicer person. I am endeavouring to ensure my kid's are better than me. I had a chip on my shoulder like Blaid for a long time when I was younger.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

Dan Martin

Post by Dan Martin »

There is no upside to being spiritually bereft.
Shomer Shabbos.

Topic author
Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

DARTH wrote: I had a chip on my shoulder like Blaid for a long time when I was younger.

come knock it off, along with this battery. punk.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

To see whether dishonesty varies with social class, psychologist Paul Piff of the University of California, Berkeley, and colleagues devised a series of tests, working with groups of 100 to 200 Berkeley undergraduates or adults recruited online.
The test might say more about Berkeley undergrads than anything about the general population.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Topic author
Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

johno wrote:
To see whether dishonesty varies with social class, psychologist Paul Piff of the University of California, Berkeley, and colleagues devised a series of tests, working with groups of 100 to 200 Berkeley undergraduates or adults recruited online.
The test might say more about Berkeley undergrads than anything about the general population.

True... =D> =D> =D>

provoking moral corruption in that crowd is like pushing an old man down a flight of stairs

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
DARTH wrote: I had a chip on my shoulder like Blaid for a long time when I was younger.

I dare you! Great commercials, as Bob Conrad actually would get pissed off and knock the shit out of people from time to time.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

Topic author
Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

DARTH wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:

I dare you! Great commercials, as Bob Conrad actually would get pissed off and knock the shit out of people from time to time.

I totally forgot that was Pappy Boyington.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

I've never seen any evidence that wealth correlates to douchebaggery. In fact, professionally the nicest, least demanding, most "normal" seeming clients I've had were the ones who had massive fortunes, whereas the most demanding, annoying, expect-you-to-be-on-call-for-their-every-whim PIA clients were the ones who were "multi-millionaires" in the sense that they had, literally, two million dollars, but fronted like they had a lot more than that.

Newsflash: People suck. Poor people suck. Rich people suck. Sometimes some people suck less than others.

Sociology and psychology studies like this are produced under the "publish or perish" imperative in academia and just use thousands of words to rehash true knowledges that great writers are able to sum up in simple sentences. In this case, attributed to Honore de Balzac:
The Honored Ball-Sack wrote:Behind every great fortune is a great crime.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Post by The Ginger Beard Man »

^^^This.
As a waiter and bartender I see the same thing. People who are truly wealthy have class, the ones who think they're rich prove the old saw: You can't buy class and you can't shine shit.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Disengage from the outcome and do work.
Jezzy Bell wrote:Use a fucking barbell, pansy.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Berkeley is in the Bay Area-- douchebaggery at all class levels abounds.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

FRKCTL
Sergeant Commanding

Post by FRKCTL »

The better off you are the better off you are. Highly recommend The Status Syndrome: How Social Standing Affects our Health and Longevity by Michael Marmot.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Turdacious wrote:Berkeley is in the Bay Area-- douchebaggery at all class levels abounds.
+1. =D> [-o< \:D/ :partyman: :prayer: :supz: :heart: =D> fesmas::: fesmas::: fesmas:::
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

bigpeach
Buttnugget McTwistynutz

Post by bigpeach »

WildGorillaMan wrote:ISometimes some people suck less than others.
Especially once you've married them.

Kraj 2.0
Gunny

Post by Kraj 2.0 »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:True... =D> =D> =D>

provoking moral corruption in that crowd is like pushing an old man down a flight of stairs
I've done one of those things and let's just say I'm not good at provoking folks.