The perfect paleo snack, not

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
xox

The perfect paleo snack, not

Post by xox »

the researchers discovered that the hulls of the popcorn -- the part that everyone hates for its tendency to get caught in the teeth -- actually has the highest concentration of polyphenols and fiber.
Vinson's team did the first study to calculate total polyphenols in popcorn. The amounts of these antioxidants were much higher than previously believed, he said. The levels of polyphenols rivaled those in nuts and were up to 15 times greater than whole-grain tortilla chips.
The new study found that the amount of polyphenols found in popcorn was up to 300 mg a serving compared to 114 mg for a serving of sweet corn and 160 mg for all fruits per serving. In addition, one serving of popcorn would provide 13 percent of an average intake of polyphenols a day per person in the U.S.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 173008.htm
The scientists acknowledged funding from the University of Scranton. Hmm?

bigpeach
Buttnugget McTwistynutz

Re: The perfect paleo snack, not

Post by bigpeach »

Good news for me. I've only ever liked the hulls.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank »

I don't believe the hulls can be digested. This means that all the stuff stuck inside them is worthless absorption-wise. Nice concept though.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Yes and no. If you take the time to thoroughly masticate the hulls you can release some of those nutrients. It's true that the body cannot chemically digest cellulose but you can mechanically digest it to the extent that you release nutrients trapped in the cells.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Kraj 2.0
Gunny

Post by Kraj 2.0 »

Does me no good. I haven't been to the movies in over a year.

Croatoa

Post by Croatoa »

LOL! That's the only part I eat. My wife eats the popcorn and I eat all that crap at the bottom of the bag.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

Croatoa wrote:LOL! That's the only part I eat. My wife eats the popcorn and I eat all that crap at the bottom of the bag.
Cause that's where all the salt and butter collect.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

Mrs. Gorilla is a popcorn snob the way other people are coffee, wine, or spirit snobs. She only buys the primo grade stuff, and only puts real butter on it, and refuses to eat the "garbage" (as she puts it) at the movie theater.

I got her one of these a couple of Christmases back:

And you woulda thought I'd boughten her a new Jag.

You know what? She's right. The premium kernels pop bigger and fluffier, and more of them pop, so there's less wastage.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.