The Stealth Pilot And The Serb Who Shot Him Down- BFF's

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Kenny X
Sgt. Major

The Stealth Pilot And The Serb Who Shot Him Down- BFF's

Post by Kenny X »

This sure is an oddbal human interest story. Check it out!

A former US Air Force pilot and the man who shot his stealth plane down during Nato's operation in Serbia have struck a remarkable friendship.

Breaking bread with the enemy is one thing. Making it together is a step that former foes do not usually take.

But in Zoltan Dani's kitchen, that is exactly what is happening. Once the commander of a crack Yugoslav anti-aircraft rocket unit, the former colonel has swapped his camouflage for an apron and now runs a successful bakery.

Even more remarkably, kneading the dough beside him is former United States Air Force pilot, Dale Zelko.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20209770

Kraj 2.0
Gunny

Re: The Stealth Pilot And The Serb Who Shot Him Down- BFF's

Post by Kraj 2.0 »

$70-million state-of-the-art jet brought down by a guy who makes biscuits on the weekend. So much for American technology.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Serbs are just good people. I've been all over Serbia and Republika Srpska and never once had static because I am an American.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Topic author
Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X »

I dug this story. I've been having a few rough days, needed a pick-me-up.

tzg
Gunny

Post by tzg »

This is fantastic.
"I thought about the Serbian SAM (surface-to-air missile) operator, imagining having a coffee and conversation with this guy, saying to him: 'Really nice shot.' I had this huge respect for him and the Serbian people."
I also agree about Serbians - they're almost embarrassingly nice at times. I love their films, too. Not so much the plum brandy, though.