primary school shooting

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Re: primary school shooting

Post by baffled »

When I read the story about what Feinstein thinks is a good idea, I immediately thought of Israel. Those Jews are a paranoid and hateful breed if I've ever seen one. Telling a bunch of kids that someone is out to get them isn't a great way to foster a healthy and accepting perspective in life.

Most kids in this country are pretty safe in their day to day lives. No need to make them scared about a threat that is pretty minuscule. Not to underscore the incredible tragedy at Sandy Hook, of course.

Looking at how security could be improved is one thing, but setting a bunch of soldiers in front of a school doesn't seem too healthy, or a practical solution.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

The solider idea is stupid. The National Guard should be used to protect our energy interests in the Middle East, the way our forefathers intended them to be.

I do, however, think that it's a good question why we have armed guards in shopping malls, banks and airports but not schools. That doesn't mean that I think kindergarten teachers should be packing sidearms but why don't schools have security guards?

The other thing that I am surprised nobody has mentioned is the general design of school campuses in the US. In a good part of the world, a wall surrounds the schools and people need to go in through gates that are open at specific times with most of them manned by guards. You can walk onto the school campus of most schools in the US - at least in the west - without having anybody question why you are there.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Kraj 2.0
Gunny

Post by Kraj 2.0 »

Boxer & Feinstein... I facepalm every time I think of California voters.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

baffled wrote:Looking at how security could be improved is one thing, but setting a bunch of soldiers in front of a school doesn't seem too healthy, or a practical solution.
You would vote against the Save Our Schools Act? Why do you hate our kids? Or is that that you hate the troops? After all, there are only around 100,000 schools in the US and 8-10 soldiers guarding each would be jobs for 1m people not counting the construction worker who would built walls around each campus, the autoworker who would make their specially-branded cars and the weapons industry who would get contracts to supply the guns and ammo to keep future generations safe.

It may sound preposterous but this kind of bill has enough kickbacks all around to actually make it out of the House.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

I hate you now.
- Buck Brannaman

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Terry B. wrote:Inner city schools had armed guards 15 years ago.

A relative in New York said that their kids' elementary school is bolted down so tightly that they couldn't go in to drop off a jacket that had been left in the car. Warm kids and the evil doers have won.

Most inner city school cops are not there to mind the perimeter, they are there to mind the inmates.

In more cival sites this is one of the first things I pointed out. I went to a middle school and 2 high schools with full time cops there because of the animals in there. Kaz's kind of folks were the main problem.

So I am all for making Offier friendly do a little serving and protecting instead of the usual intimidate and incarserate and post 1 or 2 at the school durring school hours.

Here they are more like a pizza man. An hour at this school, and hour at another.

The National Guard idea is fucking stupid and in my head sets up something I really don;t want, especially where our Goverment's been heading.

Now I do support the idea of private, armed security and given preferences to returning combat vets. While I do not want to see NG walking around school I think it would be reasuring to the kids as well as educational and to some kids inspirational to see a combat vet in his uniform with an M-4 and knowing this man has fought and probably killed for for his country and he is here to eliminate any crazed fucker out to get the kids.

But the pigs would be the easiest and when you hear "Well our departments are spread thin allready." I think "Then it's time to end the fucking war on drugs so the cops can free up to protect the kids."

But there is a bunch of reasonable talk on this thread right at the moment and we should not expect to much reason from politicians and police chiefs. They got a Prison- Industrial complex to protect. To them that's TCB.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

You're gonna love this........

http://www.thefix.com/content/private-p ... -raid90961

A private prison company conducting a high school raid in a search for the next generation of for-profit prison inmates may sound like an Orwellian nightmare—but that doesn't mean it's not true. The private prison business is booming in Arizona, where its growing influence and power saw a failed bid last year to privatize almost the entire state prison system. Now a disturbing PR Watch report lifts the lid on the industry’s latest unsavory practice: taking part in high school drug raids alongside local police, despite not having the training or the legal authority to do so.
The raid in question took place at 9 am on October 31, at Vista Grande High School in Casa Grande. Without warning, the school was “locked down”; students were confined to their classrooms and sniffer dogs were brought in. According to police, four agencies took part: the Casa Grande Police Department, Arizona Department of Public Safety, the Gila River Indian Community Police Department...and Corrections Corporation of America (CCA). Sadly, drug sweeps like this aren't unusual these days. But the presence of a private company like CCA—which has a vested interest in locking people up—is a disturbing new development.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

DARTH wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:

A relative in New York said that their kids' elementary school is bolted down so tightly that they couldn't go in to drop off a jacket that had been left in the car. Warm kids and the evil doers have won.

Most inner city school cops are not there to mind the perimeter, they are there to mind the inmates.

In more cival sites this is one of the first things I pointed out. I went to a middle school and 2 high schools with full time cops there because of the animals in there. Kaz's kind of folks were the main problem.

So I am all for making Offier friendly do a little serving and protecting instead of the usual intimidate and incarserate and post 1 or 2 at the school durring school hours.

Here they are more like a pizza man. An hour at this school, and hour at another.

The National Guard idea is fucking stupid and in my head sets up something I really don;t want, especially where our Goverment's been heading.

Now I do support the idea of private, armed security and given preferences to returning combat vets. While I do not want to see NG walking around school I think it would be reasuring to the kids as well as educational and to some kids inspirational to see a combat vet in his uniform with an M-4 and knowing this man has fought and probably killed for for his country and he is here to eliminate any crazed fucker out to get the kids.

But the pigs would be the easiest and when you hear "Well our departments are spread thin allready." I think "Then it's time to end the fucking war on drugs so the cops can free up to protect the kids."

But there is a bunch of reasonable talk on this thread right at the moment and we should not expect to much reason from politicians and police chiefs. They got a Prison- Industrial complex to protect. To them that's TCB.
I'm all for supporting the troops and all, but you want returning combat vets to all of a sudden be armed around several hundred, or more, high school students?

You don't see anything wrong with that idea?

I mean, you think that it would be "reassuring" knowing that a guy who's likely a killer is hanging out with a loaded firearm at the school?

I don't see what could go wrong.
- Buck Brannaman

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:You're gonna love this........

http://www.thefix.com/content/private-p ... -raid90961

A private prison company conducting a high school raid in a search for the next generation of for-profit prison inmates may sound like an Orwellian nightmare—but that doesn't mean it's not true. The private prison business is booming in Arizona, where its growing influence and power saw a failed bid last year to privatize almost the entire state prison system. Now a disturbing PR Watch report lifts the lid on the industry’s latest unsavory practice: taking part in high school drug raids alongside local police, despite not having the training or the legal authority to do so.
The raid in question took place at 9 am on October 31, at Vista Grande High School in Casa Grande. Without warning, the school was “locked down”; students were confined to their classrooms and sniffer dogs were brought in. According to police, four agencies took part: the Casa Grande Police Department, Arizona Department of Public Safety, the Gila River Indian Community Police Department...and Corrections Corporation of America (CCA). Sadly, drug sweeps like this aren't unusual these days. But the presence of a private company like CCA—which has a vested interest in locking people up—is a disturbing new development.

Motherfuck! And I'm an asshole because I can see the possability of needing to fight the system?!

I fucking hate the whole idea of private prisons because of the 13th Amendment giving a private company the right to run slaves. (If Kaz and I can;t have a few then they should'nt \:D/ )

And all companies are in it for profit, which is fine most of the time but this is just ripe for curruption and abuse.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

baffled wrote:
DARTH wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:

I'm all for supporting the troops and all, but you want returning combat vets to all of a sudden be armed around several hundred, or more, high school students?

I mean, you think that it would be "reassuring" knowing that a guy who's likely a killer is hanging out with a loaded firearm at the school?

Maybe because I was raised around Vietnam vets as a kid I'm not quick to assume a vet is a shell shocked nut job.

Not saying they should not have a check up from the neck up before being accepted.

And I have more faith in someone with a warrior mentality protecting children and carrying weapons than someone with a cop mentality protecting my kids and carrying weapons.

I worked around a few when I worked at a range/store and delt with a few on the street in So Fla. and "Officer Friendly" while not every cop is alot of cops.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

DARTH wrote:
baffled wrote:
DARTH wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:

Maybe because I was raised around Vietnam vets as a kid I'm not quick to assume a vet is a shell shocked nut job.

Not saying they should not have a check up from the neck up before being accepted.

And I have more faith in someone with a warrior mentality protecting children and carrying weapons than someone with a cop mentality protecting my kids and carrying weapons.

I worked around a few when I worked at a range/store and delt with a few on the street in So Fla. and "Officer Friendly" while not every cop is alot of cops.
I don't think they're all nuts either. Far from it.

I do think that when you take a soldier who is likely (and rightfully) suspicious of everyone, may have seen some shit most wouldn't do well seeing, and then stick him on a campus full of a bunch of kids... there's a lot that can go bad aside from a gun going off.

I'm not even convinced that armed guards on every campus is a good idea.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea either, but I see little difference with your proposal (uniformed guards with actual assault rifles, not what CNN thinks are assault rifles), and Feinstein's.
- Buck Brannaman

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

I don't like the idea at all either but it's interesting that there is nothing in the world more worthy of keeping secure but the most basic measures of safeguarding them would seem to shock the conscience of so many people. Even back in those heady first days of Patriot 1, we didn't think to harden the softest targets of all?

I thinking shielding kids too much is one of the biggest mistakes we make in parenting in this culture.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:I don't like the idea at all either but it's interesting that there is nothing in the world more worthy of keeping secure but the most basic measures of safeguarding them would seem to shock the conscience of so many people. Even back in those heady first days of Patriot 1, we didn't think to harden the softest targets of all?

I thinking shielding kids too much is one of the biggest mistakes we make in parenting in this culture.

I am suprissed the Jawas have not bombed and shot up schools but I am certian SFOD-1 has killed Jawas in the USA durring the first years after 9-11-01. Might have been on their target list?

After watching us fall all over ourselves like these were our own children they might just statr. I would if I was a Jawa peoce of camel shit.

I agree with you about sheilding kids too much. You set them up for a Hell of a shock when reality get's up in their face and say's "BOOOO!"

Not just from violence but society in general.

My best friend was mortified when he found out I caved in and let his Godson watch " Family Guy" and "American Dad".

Now I had initially forbid him to watch these shows because he was 9 at the time he first started watching and they do glorify alot of shit I am not down with. I like the shows myself.

But just like me with "Friday's and "Saturday Night Live" and my buddy with "Married with Children" when I was forbidden to watch them by my step dad and he buy his mom we just started sneaking the shit. Watching it with the volume real low and so did my boy.

He'd act like he was asleep , or he'd say "It just came on." with the worse poker face ever.

Now after 20 something times it seems over the last year I'd turn it off and give him a scolding untill 3 weeks ago.

I sat down next to him and observed what he laughed at. I kind of came to the conclussion that..A. He's a smart kid and standard little kid humor probably bores him as it did me as a kid. B. He's not some no balls slave, he's going to challenge me and to a degree I want that. Im not raising a joiner. C. If Tirey taught me anything it was to pick my battles. This was one where to acheive victory, the price would be too high.

So I just talked to him about what I don't like about the show and some of the views expressed and those made fun of. Told him what my standards where and said as long as he did not play it when his brother was awake. Or then I'd just smash his TV and I'd win after all.

Same with some movies. I caught him and my student's son watching Walking Dead instead of playing video games after I let them out of class because we were going over. (Our Dojo is in a buddy's basement, the other kid is his.) But I said Fuck it. If he has nightmares because of it I;ll point it out. He know it's just TV. (The kid say
s he wants to make movies when he grows up. That might change a million times but he gets that movies are creations and not real life)

Sure there are some things still off limits, like first person shooter games and I have ripped the cable out of TVs before but I think it's better to let him watch most things with in reason and keep communicating with him.

Or I could be Mr. Hard Ass and not let him and then continue to play Officer Friendly Home version, he'd see it anyways, he hears shit form other kids and then looks at me as a dickhead he has to sneak around on all the time.

And then what I say about things would have less weight to him.

He's not freaking over Sandy Hook, but he's Darth's heir after all and knows there is evil in the world an at least we do what we can to preent it from touching us to whatever extent the law and our own values will allow.

He knows I don;t teach him Jujutsu as a hobby or as a father/son thing (allthough that;s nice) he knows he;s learning it because it's my job to get him ready and load him with skills for the World.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

DARTH wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:I don't like the idea at all either but it's interesting that there is nothing in the world more worthy of keeping secure but the most basic measures of safeguarding them would seem to shock the conscience of so many people. Even back in those heady first days of Patriot 1, we didn't think to harden the softest targets of all?

I am suprissed the Jawas have not bombed and shot up schools but I am certian SFOD-1 has killed Jawas in the USA durring the first years after 9-11-01. Might have been on their target list?

After watching us fall all over ourselves like these were our own children they might just statr. I would if I was a Jawa peoce of camel shit.

I agree with you about sheilding kids too much. You set them up for a Hell of a shock when reality get's up in their face and say's "BOOOO!"

My best friend was mortified when he found out I caved in and let his Godson watch " Family Guy" and "American Dad".

Now I had initially forbid him to watch these shows because he was 9 at the time he first started watching and they do glorify alot of shit I am not down with. I like the shows myself.

But just like me with "Friday's and "Saturday Night Live" and my buddy with "Married with Children" when I was forbidden to watch them by my step dad and he buy his mom we just started sneaking the shit. Watching it with the volume real low and so did my boy.

He'd act like he was asleep , or he'd say "It just came on." with the worse poker face ever.

Now after 20 something times it seems over the last year I'd turn it off and give him a scolding untill 3 weeks ago.

I sat down next to him and observed what he laughed at. I kind of came to the conclussion that..A. He's a smart kid and standard little kid humor probably bores him as it did me as a kid. B. He's not some no balls slave, he's going to challenge me and to a degree I want that. Im not raising a joiner. C. If Tirey taught me anything it was to pick my battles. This was one where to acheive victory, the price would be too high.

So I just talked to him about what I don't like about the show and some of the views expressed and those made fun of. Told him what my standards where and said as long as he did not play it when his brother was awake. Or then I'd just smash his TV and I'd win after all.

Same with some movies. I caught him and my student's son watching Walking Dead instead of playing video games after I let them out of class because we were going over. (Our Dojo is in a buddy's basement, the other kid is his.) But I said Fuck it. If he has nightmares because of it I;ll point it out. He know it's just TV. (The kid say
s he wants to make movies when he grows up. That might change a million times but he gets that movies are creations and not real life)

Sure there are some things still off limits, like first person shooter games and I have ripped the cable out of TVs before but I think it's better to let him watch most things with in reason and keep communicating with him.

Or I could be Mr. Hard Ass and not let him and then continue to play Officer Friendly Home version, he'd see it anyways, he hears shit form other kids and then looks at me as a dickhead he has to sneak around on all the time.

He's not freaking over Sandy Hook, but he's Darth's heir after all and knows there is evil in the world an at least we do what we can to preent it from touching us to whatever extent the law and our own values will allow.

He knows I don;t teach him Jujutsu as a hobby or as a father/son thing (allthough that;s nice) he knows he;s learning it because it's my job to get him ready and load him with skills for the World.
What in god's name are you blathering about??
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Thatcher II

Post by Thatcher II »

I likes Darth's post
Yours was bland fish
The idle chatter
The coffee screams of constipated death wonder
It's great to be first at last

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

protobuilder wrote:
DARTH wrote:

What in god's name are you blathering about??

My grammer and spelling get a bit worse with insomnia but still, you have a reading comprehension issue.

Bad Wolfes sheltering kids too much commit took the thread this way. It's I.G.X! We go where we want.

tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Post by tough old man »

My kids backpacks have soft plates in them now. Got them from a cop buddy and built and insert for them.
"I am the author of my own misfortune, I don't need a ghost writer" - Ian Dury

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

DARTH wrote: My grammer and spelling get a bit worse with insomnia but still, you have a reading comprehension issue.

Bad Wolfes sheltering kids too much commit took the thread this way. It's I.G.X! We go where we want.
Maybe it wasn't a total commit, more of a head fake hip check, Barry Sanders style? but it's friday...i do what i want.

I have struggled as a parent to strike a balance on talking with the kids about this one. I refuse to lie to them and I trust their resilience in the end but I don't want to get all Colonel Kurz about it either.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

tough old man wrote:My kids backpacks have soft plates in them now. Got them from a cop buddy and built and insert for them.

That's a good idea TOM, A real good idea. Thank you.

God forbid they strike the shit lottery and face that kind of shit, those packs can save their lives.

And much Dad respect to you. :drinkers:

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
DARTH wrote: My grammer and spelling get a bit worse with insomnia but still, you have a reading comprehension issue.

Maybe it wasn't a total commit, more of a head fake hip check, Barry Sanders style? but it's friday...i do what i want.

I have struggled as a parent to strike a balance on talking with the kids about this one. I refuse to lie to them and I trust their resilience in the end but I don't want to get all Colonel Kurz about it either.

I hear yeah. Col. Kurtz is bit harsh. Lucious Vorenus or Patton about right. \:D/

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

DARTH wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:

I hear yeah. Col. Kurtz is bit harsh. Lucious Vorenus or Patton about right. \:D/

When I was explaining what happened, my daughter, 8 listened closely and then asked why nobody shot back.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

tough old man wrote:My kids backpacks have soft plates in them now. Got them from a cop buddy and built and insert for them.
It's your kid and everything, to each his own yada yada yada

But this strikes me as crazy. What are the pro's and con's of kids wearing bullet-resistant backpacks?? Pro: the kids will hopefully survive a bullet to the back if god forbid they are shot while wearing their backpacks. Con: young kids will be freaked the F out by the idea that they need body armor to go to elementary school!

I mean, preparation is one thing--teaching kids to "be prepared" is always wise--but there's a line between preparing for life's reasonable possibilities (always carry a cellphone and pocketknife!) and turning them into a body-armor wearing, doomsday prepper.

This reminds me of the logic that keeps people out of airplanes because airplanes occasionally crash but freely driving on the highways where people die every single minute.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

protobuilder wrote:
It's your kid and everything, to each his own yada yada yada

But this strikes me as crazy. What are the pro's and con's of kids wearing bullet-resistant backpacks?? Pro: the kids will hopefully survive a bullet to the back if god forbid they are shot while wearing their backpacks. Con: young kids will be freaked the F out by the idea that they need body armor to go to elementary school!

I mean, preparation is one thing--teaching kids to "be prepared" is always wise--but there's a line between preparing for life's reasonable possibilities (always carry a cellphone and pocketknife!) and turning them into a body-armor wearing, doomsday prepper.

This reminds me of the logic that keeps people out of airplanes because airplanes occasionally crash but freely driving on the highways where people die every single minute.
Shit man, when we were kids we lived with the fear of a nuclear war between us and the USSR! Maybe it might have been more apparent to me because I lived next to a SAC base and sepnt my summers 20 minutes from DC and out is West Va. (Fucking Bunkerland back then)

Fucking life ain't unicorns, unless your Maza! You need to let them know what is out there. If this shit would have went down and was all over the news when I was a kid, my Dad doing what TOM just did would ease my fears. Especially considering TOM knows something about exchanging gun fire most of us can only conceptulize.

We lived in the sticks in NY. Go ahead and call the cops. A State Trooper or an Oneida Co. Sherriff would be right there in 45 minutes to an hour.

The fact that the step dad made it through a fucking war, had training, guns strait out of the fucking A-Team and a motorcycle club full of guys just like him made me feel pretty safe.

The did not shelter me like some little doll. They were getting me ready for life and I understood that sometimes bad shit happend, not allways or most of the time but sometimes.

One of the club memeber's 12 year old son was home one night in a similar rural area 20-30 miles from us.

His parent's were out, he had his little sister there with him. It was not unusual then for a 12 year old to do to watch a sibling in rural NY.

He heard a knock at the door, but sensed he should not go to it. He yelled down to the door.

Next thing he knows the door starts pounding like someone is going to break it down.

The boy grabs his old man's shotgun, gets to the top of the stairs.

Door flys open and this guy comes in and starts up the stairs.

Boy yells "Stop or I'll shoot!"

Fucker keeps coming, boy puts both barrels into the fucker's chest and drops him. He reloads and shoots the body and the face.

I don;t remeber if he was escaped from a prison or he was a convicted rapist, maybe both? It was a long time ago

I was about 10 when this happend. After this my ol man had me rehearse what I was to do in this situation over and over and over. The differnce is I was told to use the Mini-14 because I was familier with it, the recoil was light and the old man though it be better than a double barrel or pump because he did not want me fumbling with reloading if I missed or fucking with a pump scarred shitless. Plus as a little Army nut he figured it would make me feel safer than a red neck boom stick.

When I got bigger it was the SPAS-12.

No fucking unicrons proto.

If that kid was like alot of yuppie kids he and his sister might be dead.

tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Post by tough old man »

I never told them Proto. My girls are 3 and 5. The 5 yo understands there was a horrible tragedy by a bad man.
Its more of a "this option was available and I took it" kind of thing.
Their school, while " fairly secure" isnt in a good neighborhood but is an amazing school for my kids. I have a 5yo who reads at a 3rd grade level and the spectrum school is wonderful for them.
"I am the author of my own misfortune, I don't need a ghost writer" - Ian Dury

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

tough old man wrote:I never told them Proto.
I wondered about that.

Probably best that way.