The Man in the Hat at the Boston Marathon

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
The Cunning Stunt
Staff Sergeant

The Man in the Hat at the Boston Marathon

Post by The Cunning Stunt »

Many understandably ran from the blast, though some tan directly to it to help.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04 ... -hero?lite

It’s an iconic image that captures a moment when one Boston Marathon bystander became much more.
With blood-soaked hands and wearing a cowboy hat, Carlos Arredondo helps rush a young man in a wheelchair to safety after explosions turned Monday’s race into a disaster scene.
He appears to be pinching closed a severed artery protruding from the victim’s thigh, stanching the flow of blood from a torn and shattered leg.
"I kept talking to him. I kept saying, 'Stay with me, stay with me,'" Arredondo told the Portland, Maine, Press Herald.

Darren Mccollester / Getty Images
Carlos Arredondo displays a blood-soaked flag. He had been handing them out when explosions ripped through areas near the finish line of the Boston Marathon on Monday.

Advertise | AdChoices

Another frequently published photo shows him afterward, carrying an American flag soaked in blood.
Arredondo had been at the race to support a group running for fallen veterans, one of them his son, according to the Maine newspaper, which described him charging in to help the wounded after the explosions.
Afterward, he was shaking, sometimes violently, as he told bystanders what had happened.
Arredondo didn’t set out to become a heroic figure – or a tragic one, for that matter.
Life dealt the Costa Rica native the cards that brought him national media attention long before Monday.
In 2004, Arredondo’s son, Marine Lance Cpl. Alexander S. Arredondo, died in battle in Najaf, Iraq.
When Marines arrived in a van to deliver the news, on Arredondo’s 44th birthday, he grabbed a can of gasoline and a torch from his garage, climbed inside the van and doused it, then set fire to it, severely burning himself in the process, The Associated Press reported at the time.

Boston Marathon blast witness Carlos Arrendondo describes rushing into the aftermath to aid victims. WJAR's Brian Crandall reports.
The New York Times wrote about Arredondo in 2007, finding him a man distraught who was manning a makeshift mobile memorial in the back of his pickup. There was a coffin containing his son’s favorite possessions, and then there were the photos. They depicted Alexander Arredondo as a happy teen, then as a fully-battle-equipped warrior, then as a body in a coffin.
“As long as there are Marines fighting and dying in Iraq, I’m going to share my mourning with the American people,” he told the paper.
Public grieving would gain him national attention, but it wouldn’t be easy.
In 2007, Arredondo was publicly beaten during an anti-war demonstration in Washington, according to WarIsACrime.org, which carries photos of the incident and an account from Arredondo’s wife.
And in December 2011, just before Christmas, Carlos’ other son, Brian, 24, took his own life as U.S. troops were withdrawing from the war that left his brother dead, according to numerous media reports.
“We are broken people,” he told The Boston Herald.
Edit: iPhone cutoff part of article.
Last edited by The Cunning Stunt on Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Re: The Man in the Hat at the Boston Marathon

Post by Turdacious »

Hell of a way to honor his son. Thanks for posting that.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Thank you for that and for the crop on that photo.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Yeah, that full photo is horrific.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

Kazuya Mishima wrote:Yeah, that full photo is horrific.
I read that the guy's father found out that he had been injured from seeing the photo floating around online.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Had a course in college on how various communities around the world respond to disaster. One of striking things in the the case reports was how freakishly well Americans deal with immediate after effects of a tragedy or a natural disaster. Many more people run towards the danger to help than you'd imagine. Two weeks later we bitch about who is going to clean up the street but in those first few minutes after the shit hits the fan, Americans do tend to sack up, get in their bass boat and start pulling people out of the flood.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill