Things to do in Boulder, Colorado?

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Things to do in Boulder, Colorado?

Post by Bram »

I'll be in Boulder for 10 days (coming home Memorial Day, which has a fun sounding running race that I'll be missing out on).

Any suggestions?

Good gyms, hikes, random places of interest?

"If we are all going to be destroyed by the atomic bomb, let it find us doing sensible and human things—working, listening to music, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts—not huddled together like frightened sheep." — CS Lewis

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Things to do in Boulder, Colorado?

Post by TerryB »

Hike, you idiot.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

T>1200 wrote:Hike, you idiot.
Take long johns and green bananas with you. I hear it's the thing to do.
Last edited by Turdacious on Fri May 16, 2014 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Bram wrote:I'll be in Boulder for 10 days (coming home Memorial Day, which has a fun sounding running race that I'll be missing out on).

Any suggestions?

Good gyms, hikes, random places of interest?

Rock climbing if you have someone to go with. The Flatirons offer a fun easy multi-pitch climb that gets you above people like T>1200. Or just bring the shoes and go bouldering, lots of easy-access places to clamber around.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Word on the street is you can get a fruit rollup WITH WEED IN IT!!!!!!!!

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn »

College girls.

T200
Sergeant Commanding

Post by T200 »

get real...those college girls ain't got a chance

tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Post by tough old man »

Soldier of Fortune magazine HQ!!
"I am the author of my own misfortune, I don't need a ghost writer" - Ian Dury

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."

Bedlam 0-0-0
Gunny

Post by Bedlam 0-0-0 »

Flatirons is good. Pearl street mall or the Hill have some shops/eateries/bars. Sundowner is a good place for drunk college wimmin and playing pool. If you have a car you can drive up to Nederland where there is a great Nepalese restaurant. There are a number of hikes all around the area. If I remember correctly St. Vrain trail is pretty decent. It is located up near Jamestown which is pretty close to Boulder. If you are looking for a pretty drive go to Nederland and get on highway 72 and go to Lyons or cut back through Jamestown to Boulder. There is a pinball and vintage video game place in Lyons that is pretty neat. Estes Park is a bit of a drive but it is very pretty to visit/hike. Redletter Books on Pearl St. is one of the best independent used bookstores that I have seen in the country. Boulder Creek Path is accessible from the city and is a decent walk especially with the scenery of lady jogger buttocks. There may be some interesting talks to check out at places like the Naropa Institute or bands at the Fox Theater or Boulder Theater.

Boulder sure has changed over the years. It's crusty hippy beginnings are all but a distant memory. Google among other companies have set up shop there and you are either a student, very wealthy or you serve the students and wealthy. Many people I know moved out of there because it was too expensive. Longmont provides cheaper housing while still being able to access Boulder.

Have fun, there is a lot to see and do there!

Bedlam 0-0-0
Gunny

Post by Bedlam 0-0-0 »

Flatirons is good. Pearl street mall or the Hill have some shops/eateries/bars. Sundowner is a good place for drunk college wimmin and playing pool. If you have a car you can drive up to Nederland where there is a great Nepalese restaurant. There are a number of hikes all around the area. If I remember correctly St. Vrain trail is pretty decent. It is located up near Jamestown which is pretty close to Boulder. If you are looking for a pretty drive go to Nederland and get on highway 72 and go to Lyons or cut back through Jamestown to Boulder. There is a pinball and vintage video game place in Lyons that is pretty neat. Estes Park is a bit of a drive but it is very pretty to visit/hike. Redletter Books on Pearl St. is one of the best independent used bookstores that I have seen in the country. Boulder Creek Path is accessible from the city and is a decent walk especially with the scenery of lady jogger buttocks. There may be some interesting talks to check out at places like the Naropa Institute or bands at the Fox Theater or Boulder Theater.

Boulder sure has changed over the years. It's crusty hippy beginnings are all but a distant memory. Google among other companies have set up shop there and you are either a student, very wealthy or you serve the students and wealthy. Many people I know moved out of there because it was too expensive. Longmont provides cheaper housing while still being able to access Boulder.

Have fun, there is a lot to see and do there!

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Post by buckethead »

I enjoy going to the library here.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

Smoke weed, mountain bike, smoke weed, fuck college chicks, smoke weed, mountain bike, smoke weed, fuck college chicks, smoke weed...

JDub
Staff Sergeant

Post by JDub »

Mickey O'neil wrote:Smoke weed, mountain bike, smoke weed, fuck college chicks, smoke weed, mountain bike, smoke weed, fuck college chicks, smoke weed...
Minus mountain biking and I'm in agreement.
T200 wrote:Drinking is for posers until you are drinking Everclear from a an old freebase kit you found in the park.

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Thanks everyone, especially Bedlam, man that's a great list. Nafod, I'll check out flatirons

I do plan to smoke weed, hike, see what the women are like, rock climb (my cousin lives there and goes), maybe mountain bike, go down the river in an inner tube if it's not too fucking cold.

Nepalese food and great bookstores are right up my alley.

Buckethead you live there, hmm. I actually use my local library a lot, can't tell if you're serious, but I do usually visit local libraries.

I got a car and free time, excited to check out the Rockies.
"If we are all going to be destroyed by the atomic bomb, let it find us doing sensible and human things—working, listening to music, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts—not huddled together like frightened sheep." — CS Lewis

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Post by buckethead »

Dude, I'm never serious.

Except for this:
Hike Gregory canyon for a great taste of the flatirons

Eat lunch at The Sink for eclectic local flavor

Walk Pearl St mall (around 13th st) on a nice Friday or Saturday night. Few places with cooler street performances

Buy lunch on a weekday at this Whole Foods. This will show you the California influence on Boulder. Awesome congregation of hotties in yoga pants. I'll most likely be there as I work a couple hundred yards away.

Catch a show at the Boulder Dinner theater

Go to NCAR in South Boulder for a tour - I used to work with these fucks, cool stuff. Bring workout clothes and run the foothill trails out their back door (barefoot if you have any testicles)

Drive a few miles up Canyon Blvd to Nederland (or better, Ward) and find the diviest bar. This is mountain hippie ville

Happy hour at The Med

Tour Avery Brewing and get drunk

But do not miss a 30 min drive up 36 to Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park. See the elk and bison and hike to one of the glacial lakes. Drive back on peak-peak Highway like Bedlam references

Lastly, I still don't think there's rec pot available in Boulder so stop here on your way in from the airport.

stanley_white
Gunny

Post by stanley_white »

Aah Boulder...

-Stan
Attachments
Hippy+Harry+Potter_de2d7a_3738081.jpg
Hippy+Harry+Potter_de2d7a_3738081.jpg (69.22 KiB) Viewed 5626 times

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Thanks for all the local knowledge, Buckethead. I feel like I have a ton of stuff to do now, a lot I would not have heard of, much appreciated.

Bummed about the lack of local pot availability (except I've heard it's extremely easy to buy locally and dirt cheap if you go black market), thanks for the heads up.

T200
Sergeant Commanding

Post by T200 »

tough old man wrote:Soldier of Fortune magazine HQ!!
wtf that's still a thing?

T200
Sergeant Commanding

Post by T200 »

I religiously read SoF, American Survival and the Shotgun News from like age 6-12 or so. SoF had me yelling terrorist at dudes at O'Hare every time I went there as a kid...I was very concerned. Then I grew up.

Fuck TSA, fuck Pat Act, fuck it all. I'll be in 1984 Ghana with t.o.m. taking care of some rebels. Will bring the DMT, t.o.m. brings da artillery.

Bedlam 0-0-0
Gunny

Post by Bedlam 0-0-0 »

Paladin Press is located on the mean streets of Boulder too T200.

T200
Sergeant Commanding

Post by T200 »

holy smokes I have so much questionable material from them

davidc
Sgt. Major

Post by davidc »

buckethead wrote:
...But do not miss a 30 min drive up 36 to Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park. See the elk and bison and hike to one of the glacial lakes. Drive back on peak-peak Highway like Bedlam
I lived in Estes Park one summer. Hiked more mountains than I can count. The lake hikes are crazy picturesque. Went to Boulder for dates with my summer love.

Estes Park is incredibly beautiful. There are no words. One day when it was 95 degrees in Atlanta I hiked to the top of an Estes Park mountain, pulled a trash bag out of my daypack, and used the bag as a sled to slide down a huge snow-covered glacier. It snowed during the hike back down to the trailhead.

Boulder is fun and all that. But Estes Park is something special.

davidc
Sgt. Major

Post by davidc »

Double post

Bedlam 0-0-0
Gunny

Post by Bedlam 0-0-0 »

T200 wrote:holy smokes I have so much questionable material from them
If I remember correctly Loompanics folded into Paladin. Nowhutimsayin'? Image

lasalle

Post by lasalle »

T200 wrote:I religiously read SoF, American Survival and the Shotgun News from like age 6-12 or so. SoF had me yelling terrorist at dudes at O'Hare every time I went there as a kid...I was very concerned. Then I grew up.

Fuck TSA, fuck Pat Act, fuck it all. I'll be in 1984 Ghana with t.o.m. taking care of some rebels. Will bring the DMT, t.o.m. brings da artillery.
Ha! Circa 1980 I used to buy shuriken from the classified ads in the back of SOF for something like $5 each, and then sold them to kids in my middle school for $15.

War for profit, in the true SOF way.