Anyone cook Sous Vide?

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Re: Anyone cook Sous Vide?

Post by nafod »

Bud Charniga's grape ape wrote:
nafod wrote:I think the NEXT BIG THING is to cook it from the inside-out. Jam a cylinder of meat on an oversized soldering iron-like thing and cook it until the outside is the right color. Pretty damn clever, eh?
You mean shawarma?
She married to Ray or Adrian?

Ooooooohhhhhh...not the same thing. That is on a spit, but over an external heat source.
Don’t believe everything you think.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

seeahill wrote:Mongolian Marmot: Kill a marmot. Gut it. Put hot stones from the fire into the cavity and toss the marmot on the coals. Eat with wild onions.

I've done this, in Mongolia, and it wasn't terrible. I had no desire to do it again.
I can't remember the fish, maybe bluefish, but reminds of the recipe where you nail it to a plank, cook it over a fire, then throw away the fish and eat the plank.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

So I got one of the Anova units for my wife for Christmas. Hoping she likes it, but pretty sure I will no matter what. Looking for good recipe ideas.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

I want to get one of those. Prob will after Christmas. I wanted one to cook a standing rib roast for the Christmas meal, but probably not happening.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

My brother's a chef and has done some sous vide stuff. If you get the Anova, and are doing beef, it may be handy to get a Searzall to sear stuff once it's cooked.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

milosz

Post by milosz »

ChefSteps has a ton of sous vide videos online advertising their classes, the Anova website has recipes and Serious Eats has some sous vide content too.

j-cubed
Gunny

Post by j-cubed »

Yeah, Sous Vide is cool. I use the Anova. I've done chicken breasts that are cooked through and super juicy. Prime rib that is the perfect temp all the way through. I'll make a paste of spices and butter and slather the prime rib with it after cooking and broil it 10 minutes to make a nice crust.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Ok, my wife didn't want it, so I kept it for myself. Did a tenderloin steak tonight. Steak came vacuum packed already so just put the whole package in the hut tub for 45 minutes at 136.5 degrees, opened package, removed steak and patted it dry, salt and pepper on it, about 45 seconds per side and edges on the grill outside at max heat, and holy shit it was good. Melt in your mouth and tasty. I am sold.

milosz

Post by milosz »

Sous vide really shines when you do things like 72 hour short ribs.

http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/72- ... hort-ribs/

They don't mention it but it seems like a lot of people blanch the ribs for a few seconds before vacuum sealing so that all external bacteria is killed off.

milosz

Post by milosz »

ChefSteps and Michael Ruhlman recommend 48 hours and 64C/60C (respectively) for sous vide, which seems to obviate the need for any kind of pre-sear or blanching.

http://blog.sousvidesupreme.com/2012/11 ... ysa4e.dpbs

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki »

syaigh wrote:Jeez. I take my first shot at being a dick to you and its just totally ignored. I'm going back to nurturing hand-wringer. You guys suck.
If it makes you feel better, I literally laughed out loud when I read it.
"The reason that 'guru' is such a popular word is because 'charlatan' is so hard to spell."
@GSElevator: Can we please stop calling them hipsters and go back to calling them pussies?
Blood eagles solve everything.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Ordered an ANOVA wifi sous vide stick. Looking forward to using it.

For those who cook hot and fast, and maybe use tougher meats, look for a jaccard manual meat tenderizer. It makes a difference

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

I went and bought a $2.50 styrofoam piece of shit cooler from Walmart, cut a round hole in the lid using a razor blade that the Anova thing fits into, flipped the lid so it hangs down deeper into the cooler, and that's my cooker. Had it out in the garage for cooking, where it was about 30 degrees. No problem heating the water at all, great insulation. I'm just leaving the water in there. Might stick a paver in the bottom to fill up some space, as the Anova doesn't quite reach to the bottom as is. If I can find a smaller one, I'll spring for it, as 30 quarts is oversized for a lot of things.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Dinner tonight was a ribeye, coated with salt and pepper, in a plastic bag (no vacuum sealing or ziplock with the air sucked out needed, it sinks and pushes all the air out as is). Set it for 135 degrees. Head to the park for the hour long workout, shower, pop a beer, take the steak out, pat it dry, and blast it with the Searzall for about 30 seconds per side. Awesome.

Too easy!

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Huge discount on Anova for Prime Day to like $70. Would have posted had I remembered this thread.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

My wife is all on board with it now, and makes the best London broil with it. Just fries it in a pan to brown it. Tender and all that.

$70 is money well spent.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

OK, we've got the Anova. What's the best blowtorch for searing sous vide steak, etc.?
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

johno wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:18 pm OK, we've got the Anova. What's the best blowtorch for searing sous vide steak, etc.?
Searzall, but:
We also tried what is perhaps the most well-known searing device, Booker and Dax’s Searzall. It’s not a stand-alone torch, but rather a cone-shaped attachment for the TS8000. Two layers of wire mesh at the end help spread out the flame, so you can cook more surface at once. It also slows down searing: In our tests, browning time doubled with the Searzall. We liked the results, but not enough to justify the extra cost. Since it’s an add-on to the TS8000, we suggest starting with the torch by itself and upgrading only if you’re looking to take your searing to the next level.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

I got a TS8000 by itself, works fine.

I will say that pan searing, while not as cool, I think gives you a better tasting hunk of meat.

We use bags like these for the cooking. They are BPA-free so you don’t get extra hair on your chest or weird tumors, but you don’t have fiddle around with vacuum sealing or ziplock bags. Just put the food in the bag and plop it into the water, with the lid holding the top of the bag. All the air gets pushed and the meat sinks. Too easy. Takes seconds to get it going.

Graduated to a plastic beer cooler with a flat lid that I cut an anova sized hole in. We run it in the garage.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Did a package of 4 chicken thighs (cheap) the other night. Cooked at 150 degrees for about an hour and a half or so, while out doing a workout. Then tried to fry them in a pan to crisp up the skins, but the skin stuck to my non-skid pan with some oil in it, so bit of a cluster. The chicken was perfect, however. Cooked through but not tough at all. Two of the pieces I threw a bunch of curry powder in with the bags to cook, and that was good too. The others I just used salt and pepper.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

I am a new convert to sous vide. Fuck, cooked a 45 days aged ribeye sous vide and seared it with the chef's torch. Calorie limit was blown out of the window that day. Definitely worth it.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Cool!

Had sous vide London broil last night. My wife has it down to a fine art now.

We've gone from frozen brick of meat from the freezer to pan-seared in 1.5 hours (that was an emergency cook job) and it was still awesome. Usually lets it thaw prior and then go 2 hours in the beer cooler out in the garage.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

We're all wired different but regardless I can't accept the food+plastic+heat equation...I don't care how "mild" the heat is and the validation that the plastic is safe. I'd love to get into it but I'm not going to. Come up with another barrier to transmit heat and I might be down.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Shapecharge wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:46 pm We're all wired different but regardless I can't accept the food+plastic+heat equation...I don't care how "mild" the heat is and the validation that the plastic is safe. I'd love to get into it but I'm not going to. Come up with another barrier to transmit heat and I might be down.
Check out the "Big Green Egg", you prolly never heard of it but you might really like it.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Direct flame to plastic does make sense.