Wood Pellet smokers/grills

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Wood Pellet smokers/grills

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Saw some of these at costco, started researching them online. Does anyone here use them?

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Re: Wood Pellet smokers/grills

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

I personally have a gas grill but a charcoal smoker, so I'm not anti-gas. Southern Pride is also a major brand for BBQ joints that uses pellets of some kind, and is used by some high-end places.

That said, there are BBQ competitors who do everything on a Weber Smokey Mountain cooker (also called a bullet)' which is what I have. Inexpensive and extremely reliable temperature control. You can buy aftermarket thermostats to lock temperature in and even manage over the web. I don't know what advantage a gas unit could bring, since BBQ is a multi-hour deal and saving 15 min for charcoal to get going isn't really useful.

WSM is pretty much perfect unless you are cooking for large crowds and want to have only one cooker running (which has disadvantages but saves space).

A Big Green Egg can do a similar job, albeit with about 40% capacity, but also can also run very hot for steaks and other grilling.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

j-cubed
Gunny

Post by j-cubed »

I don't have a pellet smoker, but a smoker and grill with the side fire box. If I had to do it again I'd go Big Green Egg. It really is the best out there.

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

Pellets are ok. Burn hot and fast. They work but...

UDS

Ugly Drum Smoker

Eastern Cackalacky Style BBQ only

Yes I Have Balls

Post by Yes I Have Balls »

Spells, I have the WSM and I love it! But what after market device is there that controls the temp the unit is running? IME< using charcoal is a trickier way to do it, having to often open/close vents, change the water, add more charcoal, etc.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Yes I Have Balls wrote:Spells, I have the WSM and I love it! But what after market device is there that controls the temp the unit is running? IME< using charcoal is a trickier way to do it, having to often open/close vents, change the water, add more charcoal, etc.
I have the BBQ Guru, because it was the first to market. There's also a company putting out something called the Stoker. They all work on a similar concept. Close all bottom vents except one which has a fan attached. A thermometer goes on the grates. Both connect to a computer, you input what you want the temp to be and the fan maintains that temperature. Amazing for overnight cooks. Some will also monitor food temp and ramp temperature, but that's not such a big deal to me. Others have built in wifi and web server so you can monitor/change temperature from a PC or smartphone.

Mine doesn't do I web stuff, but just being able to dial in is great.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X »

A good buddy has that WSM and loves it. Great temp control, even in Minnesota winters. Another of my buddies is in Chicago like Spells and he competes smoking pork butts now and then and does well with his WSM.

Shaf, when I lived in TX, HEB used to see the barrel smokers dirt cheap, you might want to cut your smoking chops on one of those as they're like 1/20th the cost of those pellet ones, I think. In TX, maintaining your temp is far less of a challenge than it is up here. When in Rome.......

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

Yes I Have Balls wrote:Spells, I have the WSM and I love it! But what after market device is there that controls the temp the unit is running? IME< using charcoal is a trickier way to do it, having to often open/close vents, change the water, add more charcoal, etc.
Tread very carefully here, my friend. That way lies madness, obsession and an empty wallet.

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

On reflection I agree that the WSM is hard to beat.

But if you want to build your own for cheap and make really good BBQ:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showt ... hp?t=23436

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke »

Basic Weber kettle will do most things: grill, roast, low and slow, can add smoke chips etc

I wanted to make a UDS but really unless you need to cook a fuckload of meat all the time and can be arsed to fuck around with it all the time, why bother really.

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

Because it makes me feel like an un-Enslerized Max Rockatansky is why.

And damn, if I am in for 10+hrs I am making a fuckload of que. I think it freezes pretty well...

Hanglow Joe
Gunny

Post by Hanglow Joe »

Agree with Aussie Luke.
I have 2 grills, a Weber Gas and a Weber Kettle Grill. I smoke brisket and ribs on it. Just add hickory chunks from Wal-Mart. Bought it for $90 ten years ago, still going strong, but I'm getting a new one with an ash catcher, the wife doesn't like the ashes on the new deck.

I leave it uncovered all winter and it has 2 rust spots on it. The cleaning handle rusted off 4 years ago. Other than that, the Weber is indestructible.

My worry about the Big Green Egg, is it's ceramic. If you accidentally tipped it over, it would smash. Plus the cooking capacity is small.

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

I have never heard anyone regret buying a WSM.

I don't think I have ever heard of anyone knocking over a BGE by accident. They are damn heavy.

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke »

I've got a weber baby q gasser and an old weber kettle I bought used for $20. It was knackered then and it still is but it still cooks beautifully. Also have a weber smokey Joe which is cool and cute as fuck. Used to use it nearly every day for steaks and sausages etc (before we had kids)

Have messed around with putting a couple of bricks in the big weber to keep all the direct heat away from the meat for real low and slow cooks. Worked pretty well but I'm always happy with the old standard indirect weber roast.

If you buy a weber kettle and get bored of it you can use the parts with an old drum to make a UDS. The lid should fit a standard drum I believe.

Jonny Canuck
Gunny

Post by Jonny Canuck »

I had a Bradley smoker but it broke after two weeks and the company didn't honor their warranty.

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

Don't buy anything yet! Harvard engineers have invented a new and improved smoker. It's designed to produce perfect results every time, and it's guaranteed to match all of the Williams & Sonoma gear you already own.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Pinky wrote:Don't buy anything yet! Harvard engineers have invented a new and improved smoker. It's designed to produce perfect results every time, and it's guaranteed to match all of the Williams & Sonoma gear you already own.
Ugh. They built a kamado smoker with a thermostat, and are testing it next to a pre-existing kamado smoker with what appears to be a pre-existing thermostat. They didn't invent anything.

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

I don't know what you're talking about. They invented something new for MIT engineers to laugh about.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

The Crawdaddy

Post by The Crawdaddy »

Pinky wrote:I don't know what you're talking about. They invented something new for MIT engineers to laugh about.
hey! Nice prediction Pinko! I did laugh my ass off!
Blaidd Drwg wrote:90% of the people lifting in gyms are doing it on "feel" and what they really "feel" like is being a lazy fuck.
"A good man always knows his limitations..." -- "Dirty" Harry Callahan

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

Big Green Egg is the gold standard of charcoal barbecues. I had one, but managed to smash it, and now this brand is not available in Australia anymore. The replacement - Chinese Camado - is bigger, even built more solidly BUT does not have the same aerodynamics. Coals take long time to heat up, while in The Egg it was literally 15 minutes.

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

The Gold Standard in BBQ is a sweaty 400lb black dude in front of a wood fired pit on which cooks a whole pig.