Sharks in North Carolina

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Sharks in North Carolina

Post by nafod »

Shit's getting real just in time for the family vacation. Been 10 attacks in the Carolinas. All white people too.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Re: Sharks in North Carolina

Post by Kenny X »

Brosharks prefer white meat. They're like the clean-eaters of the ocean. White folks and steamed broccoli only. One cheat day a month, during which time they can eat black people, and Cheetos.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

Yeah. We were there during the second and third attacks. Heading back down in two weeks. Don't worry, apparently you have a greater chance of dying in your car on the way down.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

syaigh wrote:Yeah. We were there during the second and third attacks. Heading back down in two weeks. Don't worry, apparently you have a greater chance of dying in your car on the way down.
I've tried that argument.

My wife swears the kids will maintain 100' distance from the water the whole time, and friends of ours are no longer letting their kid come with us on vacation (!?!). For real. Meanwhile, I just finished adding fins to my surf kayak, and I am getting pumped to try it out in the local break. Everyone thinks I am insane.

I surfed at Pt Mugu, CA for 2 years, often in the water with seals (shark food) and made it out alive.

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Post by The Ginger Beard Man »

I'm going down there in three weeks. I love the ocean but with this many attacks it seems foolish to go in the water. This is something I've never really had to think about before. I've never heard of anyone being attacked between Rockaway and Montauk.
My 17 yr old nephew went spear fishing last year when we were in San Diego, and is planning to go again at the Outer Banks. Or was. My sister won't let him go.
Mickey has been down there all week, in the water with his kids, and they're all still alive.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Disengage from the outcome and do work.
Jezzy Bell wrote:Use a fucking barbell, pansy.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

nafod wrote:
syaigh wrote:Yeah. We were there during the second and third attacks. Heading back down in two weeks. Don't worry, apparently you have a greater chance of dying in your car on the way down.
I've tried that argument.

My wife swears the kids will maintain 100' distance from the water the whole time, and friends of ours are no longer letting their kid come with us on vacation (!?!). For real. Meanwhile, I just finished adding fins to my surf kayak, and I am getting pumped to try it out in the local break. Everyone thinks I am insane.

I surfed at Pt Mugu, CA for 2 years, often in the water with seals (shark food) and made it out alive.
Well if it makes you feel any better. We're staying on the sound this time and we won't be going in the ocean or the sound because apparently the bull sharks are pupping in the sound. Well, we'll still kayak and stuff. Meh, who am I kidding. We'll be in both. :)

I sent EZ and his family down to Wrightsville two weeks ago and none of them got eaten.

Water got too warm too fast. It was awesome in early June, but probably a good 5-8 degrees warmer than usual for that time of year.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X »

Next thing you know the liberals will be banning sharks.

Ryan
Sgt. Major

Post by Ryan »

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

i think it is The Diabetes. Sharks can sense that shit. Especially type 2.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

Kenny X wrote:Next thing you know the liberals will be banning sharks.
I am offended by this statement. I am going to start a petition to ban shark-fear bullying.

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Post by buckethead »

Ed Sheeran isn't afraid of sharks

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X »

syaigh wrote:
Kenny X wrote:Next thing you know the liberals will be banning sharks.
I am offended by this statement. I am going to start a petition to ban shark-fear bullying.

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

Great. Now we to have walk to the beach.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

The kids and I were out there all week and went swimming everyday with no issues. Stayed in the same area as syaigh.

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Mickey O'neil wrote:The kids and I were out there all week and went swimming everyday with no issues.
Damn, can I pay you to stay with us?

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 »

The only IGX member at risk is obviously Seahill. But what a story!

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

nafod wrote:
Mickey O'neil wrote:The kids and I were out there all week and went swimming everyday with no issues.
Damn, can I pay you to stay with us?
Sure, I'm ready to go back! Let me get in a few rides first. I really missed my bike.

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Post by The Ginger Beard Man »

I just spent a week in Corolla and was in the water almost every day.
My BIL and nephews went to the bait shop on day one and were told the shark attacks were all stupidity related. People were in the water with the bait fish the sharks feed on, so the sharks fed on people, too. When the water suddenly gets dark from a school of fish, you get out. Happened one day that we were there. My nephew came down to tell me the fish were coming in, so I got out. So did everybody else.
The nephews were surf casting every night trying to catch sharks. No luck. But people were catching them elsewhere, including bull sharks.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Disengage from the outcome and do work.
Jezzy Bell wrote:Use a fucking barbell, pansy.

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill »

DikTracy6000 wrote:The only IGX member at risk is obviously Seahill. But what a story!
Done.

http://www.outsideonline.com/1819736/here-sharky-sharky

the great white shark slowly cruising outside the flimsy submerged cage in which I'd imprisoned myself was probably only 12 or 13 feet long and weighed, at a guess, 2,000 pounds. It seemed quite docile, menacing only in its profound grace. The great white rose to the surface, where there was a floating and iridescent smatter of chum: fish oil and sardines ladled into the water specifically to attract sharks.

A severed seal's head floated nearby. The head was tied to a thick yellow rope. The shark hit the seal bait with no sense of urgency whatsoever. It twisted its head slightly, in the way a human might tear at a strip of beef jerky. Someone above, aboard the dive boat I'd hired, began pulling on the rope attached to the seal's head so that the shark was drawn toward the cage where I stood, breathing hard through a scuba regulator.

Soon, all I could see of the animal was its belly, white as a bedsheet. The sheer size of the fish filled my vision to its periphery, and when its leathery flesh actually touched the wire of the cage, there was an instant thrashing jerk—all those muscles whipping and bunching inches from my face—and some part of the shark bashed into the cage, twice. It felt rather like being in a minor pile-up on the freeway: thrown helplessly forward, thrown helplessly backward, banged against this side of the cage, banged against that one.

The shark then turned and cut a wide circle through the sea, disappearing into the blue-green distance.

Great whites—known to be man-eaters and sometimes called "white death"—can be found in all temperate and tropical oceans. But they are most readily observed, in the wild, off South Africa, where there are an estimated 2,000 of the creatures cruising between Cape Town and Port Elizabeth. The premier viewing area—probably the best spot on the planet to encounter great white sharks—is near Dyer Island, which is about seven miles off Gans Bay, a sleepy fishing village a few hours' drive south and east of Cape Town.

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

seeahill wrote:
DikTracy6000 wrote:The only IGX member at risk is obviously Seahill. But what a story!
Soon, all I could see of Seeahill was his belly, white as a bedsheet.
I'd like to see that shark go up against Andy's choppers.

theoverman
Staff Sergeant

Post by theoverman »

i was swimming in charleston the same day they caught the 13 foot tiger a mile out. i don't give a shit, come eat me.
riff raff fanclub president

Andy83
Sgt. Major

Post by Andy83 »

powerlifter54 wrote:i think it is The Diabetes. Sharks can sense that shit. Especially type 2.
Obesity and type II diabetes are 2 of the biggest industries in America!! Curbing that will hurt the economy greatly. We need to step up the breeding programs of more sharks. Otherwise, they'll have to reduce your military benefits.
Obama's narcissism and arrogance is only superseded by his naivete and stupidity.