Jordan Peterson

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

motherjuggs&speed

Re: Jordan Peterson

Post by motherjuggs&speed »

Someone here applauded a hit piece on Peterson in Vox. That's serious stupidity, willful or otherwise. If we want to analyze or critique or slam someone, let's do it with the best available evidence and reasoning and not look for something, anything, sufficiently mean-spirited that condemns someone who the latest update deems an Unperson.

To clarify further, if someone wants to criticize NASA, fine, but don't do it with a flat earth video. If you want to criticize the CDC, it should be with analysis from Johns Hopkins or some other legitimate source, not some anti-vax page. There are things to criticize Peterson for, but let's look at what he actually says and what that actually means.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Vox is communist garbage.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2HhCJuEONU

Sam Harris podcast debating Vox's Editor-At-Large Ezra Klein. If you want to see the woke-ness of Vox and their assault on critical thinking, just take a listen.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Jordan Peterson

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

This guy is turning into self-parody. Holy shit
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Jordan Peterson

Post by Bram »

As a friend told me, “Before taking advice from someone, I ask myself, ‘Would I change places with them?’”

This could be overweight people telling us how to eat, out-of-shape people telling us how to exercise, or unhappy people peddling self-help.
"If we are all going to be destroyed by the atomic bomb, let it find us doing sensible and human things—working, listening to music, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts—not huddled together like frightened sheep." — CS Lewis

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Jordan Peterson

Post by nafod »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:23 pm is…
What do you mean by that? Oops, I said “do”. Is that wrong? Dammit, said “is”. Shit.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Jordan Peterson

Post by Gene »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:23 pm This guy is turning into self-parody. Holy shit
We could edit anyone's video to make them look stupid.

Peterson wins supporters because he talks back to Cancel Culture.

Here Peterson handles a BBC "journalist"..... does he sound self parodying here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GLqb45AZAE

He speaks of hierarchical systems, that they are implicit in our biology.

Comments like "In order to think you have to risk being offensive". "Power is competence" is not a bad idea.
Don't like yourself too much.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Jordan Peterson

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Gene wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:29 am
Grandpa's Spells wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:23 pm This guy is turning into self-parody. Holy shit
I think he's probably having some kind of mental health issue, but this doesn't look like a doctored or edited video to me.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Jordan Peterson

Post by Gene »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:52 pm
Gene wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:29 am
I think he's probably having some kind of mental health issue, but this doesn't look like a doctored or edited video to me.
Was it before or after he was hospitalized for anxiety med addiction?

I'll have to pass on judging editing of the video. I do not do that sort of a thing professionally. Do you?
Don't like yourself too much.