Jordan Peterson

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Jordan Peterson

Post by buckethead »

Psychologist and professor in Toronto.

Has taken a bunch of shit lately because he won't succumb to using gender-fluid pronouns like Ze and Hir.

However, he also is a fantastic lecturer on mythology, religion and ethics. Even with a raspy, slightly high-pitched Canadian accent, he is an absolute joy to listen to.

When it comes to ethics, he will most likely change your perspective of the ancients. And the evolutionary feel is convincing.

Anyway, check out his podcast by searching his name in iTunes, etc..

Joe Rogan's episode with him was excellent as well. Absolutely do not listen to him on Sam Harris' podcast as they couldn't get past the first item.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Re: Jordan Peterson

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

buckethead wrote:Psychologist and professor in Toronto.

Has taken a bunch of shit lately because he won't succumb to using gender-fluid pronouns like Ze and Hir.

However, he also is a fantastic lecturer on mythology, religion and ethics. Even with a raspy, slightly high-pitched Canadian accent, he is an absolute joy to listen to.

When it comes to ethics, he will most likely change your perspective of the ancients. And the evolutionary feel is convincing.

Anyway, check out his podcast by searching his name in iTunes, etc..

Joe Rogan's episode with him was excellent as well. Absolutely do not listen to him on Sam Harris' podcast as they couldn't get past the first item.

Agreed. He's great speaker. Friend pointed me towards his YT channel a year ago and totally slept on it.

He's the first voice I've run across who can discuss the adaptive role of religion while being compelling and logically coherent. Brilliant guy. I've blown whole evenings just listening to his 200 level mythology lectures. I actually enjoyed the Harris podcast, just for the pure display for congenial stubbornness.

You run across Jonathan Haidt? He's another guy I ran across at about the same time. Goes over well with intellectually honest conservative types.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

I really liked his episode with Rogan. I had plans to go through his YouTube channel but never did. Need to fix that.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

Don't listen to the Harris interview if you want to remain enamored with Peterson.

I haven't been as impressed with his mythology talks but he does make a compelling argument about religions role in an increasingly atheist world that I wish more people would hear and consider.

BD mentioned Haidt who, if you follow his work over the past decade or so, has been the only person I've heard try to explain the rise of the illiberal left and sjws in a manner that satisfies me.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Protobuilder wrote:I haven't been as impressed with his mythology talks but he does make a compelling argument about religions role in an increasingly atheist world that I wish more people would hear and consider.

Same here. I feel he makes the best establishment argument in favor of religion's role in society and against a purely materialistic rationalist view of the world that I've ever heard...and as a glutton for punishment I've heard a lot of them.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Protobuilder wrote:I haven't been as impressed with his mythology talks but he does make a compelling argument about religions role in an increasingly atheist world that I wish more people would hear and consider.

Same here. I feel he makes the best establishment argument in favor of religion's role in society and against a purely materialistic rationalist view of the world that I've ever heard...and as a glutton for punishment I've heard a lot of them.
i've only a passing familiarity with peterson, but perhaps this is relevant--will durant, writing in 1935, about religion and philosophy in babylon:

"A naton is born stoic, and die epicurean. At its cradle . . . religion stands, and philosophy accompanies it to the grave. In the beginning of all cultures a strong religious faith conceals and softens the nature of things, and gives men courage to bear pain and hardship patiently; at every step the gods are with them, and will not let them perish, until they do. Even then a firm faith will explain that it was the sins of the people that turned their gods to an avenging wrath; evil does not destroy faith but strengthens it. If victory comes, if war is forgotten in security and peace, then wealth grows; the life of the body gives way, in the dominant classes, to the life of the senses and the mind; toil and sufferings are replaced by pleasure and ease; science weakens faith even while thought and comfort weaken virility and fortitutde. At last men begin to doubt the gods; they mourn the tragedy of knowledge, and seek refuge in every passing delight. Achilles is in the beginning, Epicurus at the end. After David comes Job, and after Job, Ecclesiastes."
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

dead man walking wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:

i've only a passing familiarity with peterson, but perhaps this is relevant--will durant, writing in 1935, about religion and philosophy in babylon:

"A naton is born stoic, and die epicurean. At its cradle . . . religion stands, and philosophy accompanies it to the grave. In the beginning of all cultures a strong religious faith conceals and softens the nature of things, and gives men courage to bear pain and hardship patiently; at every step the gods are with them, and will not let them perish, until they do. Even then a firm faith will explain that it was the sins of the people that turned their gods to an avenging wrath; evil does not destroy faith but strengthens it. If victory comes, if war is forgotten in security and peace, then wealth grows; the life of the body gives way, in the dominant classes, to the life of the senses and the mind; toil and sufferings are replaced by pleasure and ease; science weakens faith even while thought and comfort weaken virility and fortitutde. At last men begin to doubt the gods; they mourn the tragedy of knowledge, and seek refuge in every passing delight. Achilles is in the beginning, Epicurus at the end. After David comes Job, and after Job, Ecclesiastes."
No...but it exemplifies the recursive nature of most religious arguments and why they fail so spectacularly.

Peterson does these systems of thought the great service of applying a Darwinian template to their success or failure.Pretty much the reverse of your quote. Whether you are Darwinist or a rationalist or any sort of "Ist" at all, any argument that can remain supportable after multiple angles and directions of attack is a better than any system which relies on proprietary dictionary of terms to explain itself and define success.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

I agree, I found Peterson's explanation of why religion is important strangely comforting

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

The take on religion is not unlike Joseph Campbell who would proclaim that truth doesn't matter (I'm paraphrasing, perhaps poorly) in mythology but if something's been around for thousands of years and provides benefit for people in deciding how to live their lives, it's useful. Not precisely the same argument but the same general takeaway for me.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

Follow up on Rogan is fantastic.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

It really was...it goes very deep and Peterson has loosened up with Rogan, probably because they've spoken a few times now. It really was an interesting talk.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

I'm sure you guys know already if you pay attention to Peterson's YouTube channel, but he also has a podcast that I like.

The follow up with Rogan was definitely one of my favorite podcast episodes I've listened to. The other was Stephen Mansfield on The Art of Manliness, which is a podcast I realized I just don't really like and rarely even bother to pay attention to the guest or topic.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

Protobuilder wrote:The take on religion is not unlike Joseph Campbell who would proclaim that truth doesn't matter (I'm paraphrasing, perhaps poorly) in mythology but if something's been around for thousands of years and provides benefit for people in deciding how to live their lives, it's useful. Not precisely the same argument but the same general takeaway for me.
This is not in keeping with Protobuilder history and spirit. Who has the password these days???
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw »

Peterson, like Harris, and Douglas Murray, is somebody I'd want on my Presidential cabinet not because I agree with him entirely, but, I value the way he thinks.

He's someone I'd keep around to act as a gut check for issues I feel like I've "considered or reasoned enough on", to keep me honest.
My cousin is a redheaded german-mexican, we call him a beanerschnitzel

Yes, I'm drunk

Post by Yes, I'm drunk »

LOL @ Peterson's fan boi's.

He makes me feel gud about teh things I think.

The man in black
Staff Sergeant

Post by The man in black »

buckethead wrote:
Absolutely do not listen to him on Sam Harris' podcast as they couldn't get past the first item.
I'm pretty sure that was the last podcast of Sam Harris's I tried listening to, I might still check out a book or two of his but the podcasts are a waste for me.

climber511
Gunny

Post by climber511 »

Just finished one of Peterson's podcasts with Rogan on Science and Religion. Interesting

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

I liked Peterson more after I saw him on video. Up until recently I'd only heard him.

theoverman
Staff Sergeant

Post by theoverman »

I know it's en vogue to be incensed all the time, but I can never muster the energy. I live in the south, I'm not sure I've ever seen a tranny in real life, let alone am I having all this gender stuff foisted upon me. I know like 2 gay dudes from work and they dress normal.
riff raff fanclub president

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

theoverman wrote:I know it's en vogue to be incensed all the time, but I can never muster the energy. I live in the south, I'm not sure I've ever seen a tranny in real life, let alone am I having all this gender stuff foisted upon me. Counting myself, I know like 2 other gay dudes from work and they dress normal.
We stand corrected.

theoverman
Staff Sergeant

Post by theoverman »

Shapecharge wrote:
theoverman wrote:I know it's en vogue to be incensed all the time, but I can never muster the energy. I live in the south, I'm not sure I've ever seen a tranny in real life, let alone am I having all this gender stuff foisted upon me. Counting myself, I know like 2 other gay dudes from work and they dress normal.
We stand corrected.
Classic
riff raff fanclub president

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

TerryB wrote:
Protobuilder wrote:The take on religion is not unlike Joseph Campbell who would proclaim that truth doesn't matter (I'm paraphrasing, perhaps poorly) in mythology but if something's been around for thousands of years and provides benefit for people in deciding how to live their lives, it's useful. Not precisely the same argument but the same general takeaway for me.
This is not in keeping with Protobuilder history and spirit. Who has the password these days???
I didn't click the link.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:I liked Peterson more after I saw him on video. Up until recently I'd only heard him.
He's a handsome gut, ain't he Shaf?

Topic author
buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Post by buckethead »

Somebody was prescient

Boris

Post by Boris »

This guy is everywhere now and I still don't know who he is.