Future of IGx

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

climber511
Gunny

Re: Future of IGx

Post by climber511 »

Well I finally got logged in again - it kept popping up as a virus when it finally did load up. I have enjoyed this place and kicked in a few bucks but most of the people who made it what it was seem to have disappeared - I have no idea as to where - I'm not for shit on the tech stuff. I will not pay again - this is the only site I ever even been asked to pay for anyway. The internet has become such a cesspool since Trump came along - I can't imagine what we could say that would cause much of a problem these days as long as we don't threaten to off the great leader or something.

dingleberry
Manpussy Apprentice

Post by dingleberry »

I'm vested. I've kicked in some since joining up but last year I ponied up more than ever. I don't post much but I like reading. Count me in for the solution whatever it is.
nafod wrote:I do find I am spending more and more time in the bathroom in the morning, just staring at myself and wondering if I am pretty.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Sub Reddit makes sense. I'm up for connecting on Facebook, but I'm hardly ever on there and when I am, it's for a group formed to connect owners of a breed of dogs
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

I'm not that short. :) I'll work on that signature. I'm really fond of my current one though!
dead man walking wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:21 pm i'm able to get the site to load about 1 in every 5 times i try. perhaps that's intentional on your part.

so fuck you. all of you. racist bastards. ignorant liars. trump apologists. meat heads and mental defectives. crossfit deserters, malpracticing lawyers and doctors. alcoholics and drug addicts. shape with his micropenis, and one ignorant twat (there used to be a couple of them, all unwilling-to-post-tits cowardesses). who'd i overlook?

perhaps mickey (really, really, really short but cheerful bicycling guy) will give us one last signature before we go down for the last time.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

Mickey O'neil wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:46 pm I'm not that short. :) I'll work on that signature. I'm really fond of my current one though!
dead man walking wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:21 pm i'm able to get the site to load about 1 in every 5 times i try. perhaps that's intentional on your part.

so fuck you. all of you. racist bastards. ignorant liars. trump apologists. meat heads and mental defectives. crossfit deserters, malpracticing lawyers and doctors. alcoholics and drug addicts. shape with his micropenis, and one ignorant twat (there used to be a couple of them, all unwilling-to-post-tits cowardesses). who'd i overlook?

perhaps mickey (really, really, really short but cheerful bicycling guy) will give us one last signature before we go down for the last time.
I'd like to see your 10 favorites over the years. Maybe a vote on best of the best of Mickey's Sigs.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

DrDonkeyLove wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:22 pmI'd like to see your 10 favorites over the years. Maybe a vote on best of the best of Mickey's Sigs.
YES.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

I'll have to set aside some time to go through them all! Haha! At least the ones that are still linked!
JimZipCode wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:28 pm
DrDonkeyLove wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:22 pmI'd like to see your 10 favorites over the years. Maybe a vote on best of the best of Mickey's Sigs.
YES.

Bob Wildes

Post by Bob Wildes »

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:28 pm
syaigh wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:09 pm Well, Alfred, at least we have the rowing team. :)
This is true. I've been on a meters kick lately. Picked the 20k calories for January challenge and I'm just now finishing it. That, and I've been adding in some intensity to see if I'm stupid enough to go the the Atlanta Erg Sprints in a couple weeks. :vom:
I think that you will do a pretty good 2K at the comp. Your base is awesome.
"Tell A.P. Hill he must come up."

tonkadtx
Staff Sergeant

Post by tonkadtx »

Sub Reddit makes sense. I'm up for connecting on Facebook, but I'm hardly ever on there and when I am, it's for a group formed to connect owners of a breed of dogs
SubReddit sounds good.

I just want to say this, in case this place goes away.

I have gotten more useful info from this board than almost any place else on line. Multiple people have gone out of their way to help me. Shaf wrote a training program for me. Furman and I have traded stuff. FatCat, when he was around, went out of his way to research BJJ schools for me. I appreciate everything everyone here has done and helped me with. Good luck with your future endeavors if nothing ever pans out. :-(

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

Bob Wildes wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:02 pm
Alfred_E._Neuman wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:28 pm
syaigh wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:09 pm Well, Alfred, at least we have the rowing team. :)
This is true. I've been on a meters kick lately. Picked the 20k calories for January challenge and I'm just now finishing it. That, and I've been adding in some intensity to see if I'm stupid enough to go the the Atlanta Erg Sprints in a couple weeks. :vom:
I think that you will do a pretty good 2K at the comp. Your base is awesome.
Thanks Bob. I'm hoping for around 7:00.

You should come up and row with us. The old dudes like us go at about 9:30 am.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Bob Wildes

Post by Bob Wildes »

I'm way too slow for the competition, but you should finish near the top of your class.

I have to work Saturdays also.
"Tell A.P. Hill he must come up."

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

What are the options for a US based server and is that worth the changes we would have to make?
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

jimmystyle
PFC

Post by jimmystyle »

perma-lurker checking in. private subreddit is a way better option than facebook, IMO. will sorta keep the old-school forum feeling and avoid most of the FB gayness.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

I'd personally prefer a subreddit to be restricted to posting somehow but view-able by anyone. We occasionally get folks like Caviston or folks from other boards pop in with valuable input. If the subreddit is private, it's invisible to non-members.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

rjudo
Gunny

Post by rjudo »

I'm in for subreddit, Facebook is not an option for me personally. I would like to see this place continue on somehow. I will echo what others have said, learned a lot over the years here from dome great folks. As someone who has been around since the Dragon Door days, it's kind of sad to see this place wither away. Perhaps a change will wake it up a bit.,....
food is medicine. that's why i'm drinking dr. pepper.

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill »

I'd miss this place. Over the years, I've learned who likes me (or my opinions) and who hates me (or my opinions.)

In the end, I'd miss you, everyone, no matter how fucking stupid you are.

So I'll pony up to keep the place alive.

terra

Post by terra »

Subreddit, Private/secret. With FB feeder page,

Send a pm to all currently on board at IGx so as to kickstart the group. Run an FB group in parallel as a feeder for the private subreddit. Think of the fb group as the public foyer/reception to a more exclusive and unruly club that exists on the next floor

I am a member of a secret (business marketing) group that uses FB as a feeder in this manner. It works well. Invite/intro and general chatter on the FB then request or get an invite to the next level from the mods.

I'm guessing members could copy/paste their current training logs in a space created on new subreddit?
Might be able to cut/paste any other long standing (valuable) threads and nuggets??
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

I do not have a Facebook account (neither has anyone invited me to join the FB group), so it looks like it's the end of IGx for me.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Sangoma wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:14 pm I do not have a Facebook account (neither has anyone invited me to join the FB group), so it looks like it's the end of IGx for me.
Do you know what Reddit is? There is a subreddit. You do not need Facebook.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

climber511
Gunny

Post by climber511 »

I have no idea what Reddit is. Didn't know this place had a FB account either? Guess I'm really out of the loop.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

K, I'm not pushing this but it's helpful to understand the option.

Reddit is the 6th most widely-used website. It sorts submissions of content of all types by user ranking a quick upvote/downvote option. So more popular content appears on the front page, and front page content is likely to be interesting to you. This can be addictive, which is why it's popular.

There are a ton of "subreddits," the sub-categories of discussions. People will have subreddits for Politics, guns, woodworking, bronies, your team in "online game X," and other public or private communities. These become reddit.com/r/insertnamehere. So we have reddit.com/r/IronGarmX.

A subreddit provides free hosting and saves all data, forever. This makes it cheap and easy. It is not as flexible as a forum. You can't have subforums with training logs and so on. A FB group would do something similar, with the better-known restrictions of FB groups.

If we had a cheaper/lower maintenance forum, that'd probably be ideal. Failing that, there are other options.

Thud
Sgt. Major

Post by Thud »

It's just so ironic that we've been paying $2000/yr to keep this place afloat for the, presumably, absolutely essential free speech it affords, yet 90% of it's members, including the biggest shit talkers, have moved on to less costly and more moderated pastures.

Anyhoo, perhaps Mario could advise us on maintaining this forum on cheaper/faster servers, but I don't get the sense he's around much any more.

Hath thou forsaken us, Mario?

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Guys/Gals/Trans...the real issue is the forumz stylee of communications is just too slow! We need instantaneous feedback relative to what we ate...meal-by-meal with plenty of pics, our current workout plan, future workout plan, workout we did today and any tweaks we think we need to make. Selfies pointing at stuff, pointing at ourselves, pointing at someone else. We also need to quickly be able to weigh in on anything and then adjust our opinion based on the feedback we get which can be verbal, likes, and the various emoticons. Sadly, the regular forumz can't do that. Also, sadly long form (i.e. paragraph or longer) snark, commentary, comedy takes too much time to write/read when we've got all that other stuff to do on-line. You need to be able to within seconds put your thoughts out there and logging on here and kinda getting your idea out there and making sense is just too troublesome.

Thud
Sgt. Major

Post by Thud »

This world you describe, it has "likes and emoticons"? How can that be? What right-minded IGx-er could countenance such overt feel-good commie-fag collectivism without being irreparably triggered? Just doesn't make sense...

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Thud, it's a strange world we are living in my horny brother. Soon our entire self-worth will be measured in likes and smiley-face emoticons and our male bodies will be infused with a tonic of shame and estrogen.