Gender is not a social construct in Hungary anymore :)

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Gender is not a social construct in Hungary anymore :)

Post by Fat Cat »

Last weekend a government decree signed by Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban came into force, removing gender studies from the list of master's programmes entitled to official accreditation and financial support.

https://www.dw.com/en/hungarys-universi ... a-45944422

LMAO. I don't actually support banning subjects, but even calling gender studies a "subject" is specious. What's not really clear to me is whether this ban means that it is illegal to teach the subject, or just that the government is banned from funding or accrediting gender studies programs.

Action, meet reaction.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Gender is not a social construct in Hungary anymore :)

Post by baffled »

My understanding the first time I read about this was that it's not an accredited subject any longer.

I don't really think the government needs to do anything re: accrediting programs. I mean, unemployable grads with gender studies degrees are a great way to determine whether a subject is worth a shit.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

From their point of view, foreign money--complete with divisive agenda--was coming in to promote the grievance industry, thus distorting the marketplace of ideas.

Nobody actually thinks that women's studies or ethnic studies are worth a damn, but there are people who are willing to pay for the chaos and disunity it creates.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Apparently Trump has been channeling his inner Orban:

http://www.latimes.com/nation/politics/ ... story.html

Orbis non Sufficit.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

baffled wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:15 pmI don't really think the government needs to do anything re: accrediting programs. I mean, unemployable grads with gender studies degrees are a great way to determine whether a subject is worth a shit.
Stop with your market-based solutions
Don’t believe everything you think.