What to make of the election?

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

What to make of the election?

Post by Turdacious »

Republicans hold the Senate (apparently wearing a Beto t-shirt when you're not a registered Texas voter didn't help)
Democrats gain the House by a smaller margin than they'd like-- so probably two years of Pelosi as Speaker
Being a centrist Dem doesn't help if you're a Senator, but may help in the House
Florida voters decide to give the Cesar Sayoc's of the world the right to vote.
Trump tweets something Trumpy, media goes nuts (ok, that's everyday)

Thoughts?
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

JimZipCode

Re: What to make of the election?

Post by JimZipCode »

Turdacious wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:12 amFlorida voters decide to give the Cesar Sayoc's of the world the right to vote.
Thoughts?
My wife said the Fla felon thing may turn out to be A Big Deal, like as soon as the next election. Fla is traditionally such an important state electorally; and it's always so closely contested.

She also said that turnout was larger than norm?
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

I see it as a big win for Trumpism.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

nafod wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:24 am I see it as a big win for Trumpism.
How so? It would seem that Republicans have a greater ability to get jurists confirmed, Trump will likely face a series of potentially embarrassing subpeonas from Pelosi, and have little to no chance to get 'big beautiful wall' or la migra funding. And I could be wrong, but my guess is that Republican Senators for teh most part don't feel they owe Trump anything.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

There doesn't seem to be a lot of coverage of how terrible a Democratic House is for Trump.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:15 pm There doesn't seem to be a lot of coverage of how terrible a Democratic House is for Trump.
The million dollar question is would an investigation of Trump be like the Repub house's investigation of Clinton, years of base fluffing for thin gruel? If so, they should avoid it.

Or would it be a never-ending shit-show of embarrassment to the republican party? A thin crust over nice moist road apple, just begging to be squished? Emoluments, Russian golden showers, and illegal tax dodges?

Grabbing a bowl of popcorn...

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:15 pm There doesn't seem to be a lot of coverage of how terrible a Democratic House is for Trump.
I can't speak for the level of coverage. If the Democratic House can organize themselves, they can be a royal pain in the ass, with multiple weapons including obstructionism and investigations.

That said, in parsing this election, the Dems fell pretty flat. They gave up seats in the Senate, 27 of 50 governorships are in the hands of the GOP...this was no Blue wave. Perhaps worst of all, everything that Trump lobbied for won. There is no such kingmaker in the Democratic camp.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Fat Cat wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:25 pmThat said, in parsing this election, the Dems fell pretty flat. They gave up seats in the Senate, 27 of 50 governorships are in the hands of the GOP – this was no Blue wave.
This was always a terrible Senate map for the Dems. Losing a couple seats there was always the most likely result. And you mention governorships, but that figure 27 represents a drop for the GOP, a gain for Dems. Not a Blue Wave, and I think a disappointment for Ardent Resisters; but actually a solid showing overall.

You're right of course about the lack of a "star" or central figure for the Dems. And some of the people who consider themselves the obvious one to fill that role need to GTF off the stage. Looking at you, Joe Biden.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Authorized federal judgeships: 890
Vacancies: 135 (including two of the nine authorized judgeships on the US Court of Intl Trade)
Nominees pending: 56
POTUS can reshape at least 15% of the federal bench over the next two years-- realistically the minimum potential impact could be more significant as a lot of the judges likely to be confirmed are already on the federal bench at lower levels.
http://www.uscourts.gov/judges-judgeshi ... -vacancies

Also, a lot of those vacancies on the Ninth Circuit (including 6 of 29 on the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals), which has generally been a thorn in the side of conservatives.
https://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/content/vi ... 0000000899

And Ginsburg is 85 and Breyer is 80 (both Clinton appointees)-- good likelihood that Trump will get to nominate a successor for at least one of them in the next two years.
Last edited by Turdacious on Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Turdacious wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:11 pmAnd Ginsburg is 85 and Breyer is 80 (both Clinton appointees)-- good likelihood that Trump will get to nominate a successor for at least one of them in the next two years.
Hold on Ruth! Hold on!

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

JimZipCode wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:08 pm
Fat Cat wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:25 pmThat said, in parsing this election, the Dems fell pretty flat. They gave up seats in the Senate, 27 of 50 governorships are in the hands of the GOP – this was no Blue wave.
This was always a terrible Senate map for the Dems. Losing a couple seats there was always the most likely result. And you mention governorships, but that figure 27 represents a drop for the GOP, a gain for Dems. Not a Blue Wave, and I think a disappointment for Ardent Resisters; but actually a solid showing overall.

You're right of course about the lack of a "star" or central figure for the Dems. And some of the people who consider themselves the obvious one to fill that role need to GTF off the stage. Looking at you, Joe Biden.
Didn't Biden come in last during the 2008 primary?

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Turdacious wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:17 pmDidn't Biden come in last during the 2008 primary?
Don't remember. But he thinks the Obama-ness rubbed off on him over the 8 years; and after he graciously said "Ladies first" to Hilliary in 2016, it's his turn now.

I mean, that's my guess.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

JimZipCode wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:08 pm

Not only Biden, fren. Hillary, Occasio-Cortez, Sanders, that Somali bitch that married her brother...there's just a whole pack of monkeys on the Democratic Party's back that will never foment the kind of unified action that Obama did. Actually, I don't think it was a solid showing at all, especially if all they can really do now is play the part of the thorn in Trump's side. They have not managed to assemble a saleable alternative to MAGA. If that's the best they can do, it's Trump in 2020 and probably two more SCOTUS justices. But hey, you got this:

Last edited by Fat Cat on Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Ah, I see that Sessions got his walking papers.

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Lots of changes that will affect the investigation-- Dana Rohrabacher (R-FSB) lost his seat too.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Duncan Hunter got re-elected, after stealing $250k from his campaign and awaiting some kind of trial. Should work out well.

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

At least in the political sphere, #metoo hits major stumbling blocks as voting against Kavanaugh hurts Senators and accused woman beater and deputy DNC head Keith Ellison wins election in Minnesota.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

According to the Federal Vacancy Act, because Sessions resigned rather than being fired, his replacement does not need to be approved by the legislature. Therefore, the new guy can get in and do the dirty work without delay. Rosenstein will be purged too. Then Mueller. It's coming.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Fat Cat wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:38 pm According to the Federal Vacancy Act, because Sessions resigned rather than being fired, his replacement does not need to be approved by the legislature. Therefore, the new guy can get in and do the dirty work without delay. Rosenstein will be purged too. Then Mueller. It's coming.
I trust that there are enough people in the justice department that take their oath to the constitution (and not to the President) seriously, so that if there is real dirt of collusion or other crimes, it will come out.

I am looking forward to seeing Trump's extremely complex tax forms.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

Stocking up on popcorn. Lots of Dems and Deep Staters scared out of their mind knowing their leaking classified materiel, lying to the FBI, and lying to the FISA Courts is about to get pursued.

As I have said for a long time, way more Dems going to jail than anybody in the Trump administration.

All good. And these Democratic Commitee Chairman are like gifts from heaven. Mad Max. Oh yeah.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Schlegel

Post by Schlegel »

Mueller investigation is basically done, cnn says they are in the report writing phase and most investigators are now returned to their normal jobs. So there's not really anything to obstruct now. It's gonna be a damp squib, but get ready for the cries of "the new AG stopped Mueller's work prematurely"
"Why do we need a kitchen when we have a phone?"

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

powerlifter54 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:16 amLots of Dems and Deep Staters scared out of their mind knowing their leaking classified materiel, lying to the FBI, and lying to the FISA Courts is about to get pursued.

As I have said for a long time, way more Dems going to jail than anybody in the Trump administration.
Tee hee. Ok.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

JimZipCode wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:47 am
powerlifter54 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:16 amLots of Dems and Deep Staters scared out of their mind knowing their leaking classified materiel, lying to the FBI, and lying to the FISA Courts is about to get pursued.

Tee hee. Ok.
Last time this prediction came up I think indictments immediately followed.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Thud
Sgt. Major

Post by Thud »

powerlifter54 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:16 am Stocking up on popcorn. Lots of Dems and Deep Staters scared out of their mind knowing their leaking classified materiel, lying to the FBI, and lying to the FISA Courts is about to get pursued.

All good. And these Democratic Commitee Chairman are like gifts from heaven. Mad Max. Oh yeah.

I know you're in TX, but are you in Alex Jones' basement?

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Fat Cat wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:38 pm According to the Federal Vacancy Act, because Sessions resigned rather than being fired, his replacement does not need to be approved by the legislature.
Bringing in the best people, of course.
Matthew G. Whitaker, the acting attorney general, served on the advisory board of a Florida company that a federal judge shut down last year and fined nearly $26 million after the government accused it of scamming customers.

The company, World Patent Marketing, “bilked thousands of consumers out of millions of dollars” by promising inventors lucrative patent agreements, according to a complaint filed in Florida by the Federal Trade Commission.

Court documents show that when frustrated consumers tried to get their money back, Scott J. Cooper, the company’s president and founder, used Mr. Whitaker to threaten them as a former federal prosecutor. Mr. Cooper’s company paid Mr. Whitaker nearly $10,000 before it closed.
World Patent Marketing

Just from the name you know it is full of shit.

I predict he pulls a Mooch