I gots a querestion for Timmah...

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

I gots a querestion for Timmah...

Post by Shapecharge »

So Tim, if I may call you Tim...let's say you were in a prolonged funk and was high and drunk and you wrote something down to clarify your thoughts and there was a slightly clever poetic tinge to it and you texted it to a buddy who showed it to a bartender in Nashville, and two years later you're driving in your truck somewhere with the radio on and you hear something oddly familiar and suddenly you realize Jewel is singing a song with your words. Since you're theoretically our only published author here, could you briefly explain how you'd protect yourself from having something you've written taken and used by someone else without your permission, please. I've always wondered how that shit works.

Hebrew Hammer
Chief Rabbi

Re: I gots a querestion for Timmah...

Post by Hebrew Hammer »

google common law copyright

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Hebrew Hammer wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 4:58 pm google common law copyright
Google your momma's a whore. You're posting on the sabbath nigga.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

What's the song about?

Topic author
Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Sangoma wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:18 pm What's the song about?
Hilarious!! Sangria, I've got nothing...I was genuinely curious tho how all that works.

Topic author
Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Dang HammerTime I just wanted a little info from Timmah's perspective. I suppose I can expect a bill in the mail for $5k for your response?

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill »

In my 50 years in the publishing business, I've never seen a blatant theft in which one person used another's idea. Clearly, it happens as in the Art Buchwald/Eddie Murphy contretemps about "Coming to America." But mostly what I see is people who snatch a good line here and there. There are others who slavishly copy your style and approach but do not come close to any sort of plagiarism. I've published nearly 2 million words. None, to my knowledge, has been used without payment and proper attribution. I mean, it happens, but it's caught most of the time.

There is a European writers' group that scans the internet and finds stories I've written used without permission or even attributed to another writer. These thefts are mostly in Europe and this group threatens legal action and collects payment. I never contacted them. They contacted me. Every 6 months I get my half of what they collected. Usually about $493.15

And no, you may not call me Tim. You must stick with Timmah.