Went to South Africa

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Went to South Africa

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Capetown and Kruger National Park for self drive safari type activities.

SA is beautiful country, the Cape especially, just stunning.

One thought I came away with is that compared to Africa, the US has so much opportunity. People aren't living in shanty towns, people don't have to walk to fill up 5 gallon jugs for water, nor do they have to get to work or school in an overloaded taxi van.

Apartheid is over, but the black majority government has been unable to generate anything like the equality of opportunity you have here. There's a money issue, but there is also a cultural issue. Even the communist-leaning African National Congress cannot squeeze blood from a rock.

South African's weren't unfriendly, or friendly, just kind of indifferent

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Went to South Africa

Post by Sangoma »

Because of this seeming indifference South Africans are often blamed for being arrogant. It's not even indifference, it's the distance and respect for personal space. Once you get closer to them you realise how hospitable they are. When I arrived to Jo'burg in 1991 I knew a bunch of Russians, same shit poor immigrants like me. One of the guys was lucky enough to get a job as the mining engineer some 40 km away. When he went to an real estate agency to find a place to stay the owner invited him to rent a room in his house. Later this friend got a few of us invited to that house, and eventually one of the sons, Johan, invited me to spend Christmas holiday with his family. Another son, Andre, got me my first job which jumpstarted my medical career in that country.

Government being what governments are, is doing nothing to improve the lives of the poor majority. Infrastructure is falling apart, and crime is destroying the country.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

I had a great two week visit, mixing in pleasure with work. Everyone was cool. Visited Pilanesburg National Park (I was in Pretoria) and ate a bunch of great meals. Was well aware of the crime status, took precautions.

Stayed here, I’d recommend them to visitors to Pretoria or the general area.
https://www.hudsonhouse.co.za/
Don’t believe everything you think.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:19 pm Capetown and Kruger National Park for self drive safari type activities.

SA is beautiful country, the Cape especially, just stunning.

One thought I came away with is that compared to Africa, the US has so much opportunity. People aren't living in shanty towns, people don't have to walk to fill up 5 gallon jugs for water, nor do they have to get to work or school in an overloaded taxi van.

Apartheid is over, but the black majority government has been unable to generate anything like the equality of opportunity you have here. There's a money issue, but there is also a cultural issue. Even the communist-leaning African National Congress cannot squeeze blood from a rock.

South African's weren't unfriendly, or friendly, just kind of indifferent
Are you glad you went with the self driven option? How was securiy for tourists overall? I’ve been to Rio which I wouldn’t really recommend for a white couple finding their own way around, but taxis from and to specific destinations were fine.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

The indigenous biological substrate of South Africa is not conducive to empire building.

Topic author
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Spells

Never once felt unsafe as long as you had your situational awareness up. I drove approximately 3000 kilometers over 2 weeks. In and around Cape Town, and in and around Kruger and through Johannesburg Self drive safari using SANpark rest camps as home base was way cheaper than any private safari option and, I'd reckon, 85% as good. The only thing the private places do better is maybe getting closer to big cats, but I was still 6' away from lions in an open air truck.

Security within Kruger was a non issue. Very little theft, very little crime. You had to follow the rules about the animals though.

Lots of private security everywhere. We stayed in Camp's Bay, which is supposed to be super ritzy in season, but it was out of season. Beautiful beach out front but homeless people were camping and shitting there.

Lots of panhandling and homeless.

Drove through citrus and macadamia nut valleys, and some smaller towns.

Lots of smog on the day we drove from Kruger back to the Jburg airport

SMET

I played rugby with lots of SAs, and they were friendly, but upon reflection, the people did seem like they were respectful of other's space. I didn't feel the folks were arrogant.