Pizza Oven

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Pizza Oven

Post by nafod »

Built one in the backyard. Like building one of the pyramids, it was serious work, but it’s pretty @#$-ing cool. While it takes a while to get the oven up to full grunt at 800 degrees, once there, it takes about 90 seconds to cook a pizza.

It’s this design. Recommend it.
https://www.brickwoodovens.com/cortile-barile

OBTW, hand-mixing 2000 lbs of concrete is serious exercise.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Re: Pizza Oven

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Well done that’s a heck of a project. Do you have a lot of space or eat a lot of pizza? That seems like a huge effort and footprint for occasional pizza.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

When it cools off a bit, we'll do pizza couple of times per week. You can cook other stuff in it too. Breads and roasted veggies, etc.

Pizza making is a bit of a ritual, with dough making, building the pizza, sliding it in off of the peel, watching it and turning it, screwing it up and ending with a big blob of pizza crud rolled up in the oven. It's a craft. Had some serious misfires to start.

I'm going to try a buffalo chicken pizza next.

The most fun is sitting out by the oven on the bar chairs on a cool evening after eating the pizza, drinking a glass of beer or wine and watching the fire.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

nafod wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:03 pmPizza making is a bit of a ritual, with dough making, building the pizza, sliding it in off of the peel, watching it and turning it, screwing it up and ending with a big blob of pizza crud rolled up in the oven. It's a craft. Had some serious misfires to start.
LMAO. That's fucking awesome. I've wanted to do something like that for a while; I have the space but I don't think our climate is very good for it. It's just too hot.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Seriouseats.com has a whole thing on NYC and Napoli pizza crusts that is worth a look if you haven't. I have been considering a baking steel and pizza insert for my Weber, which apparently puts out good very good pizza. Next month we are moving to an actual house so an outdoor oven is an option, but as we have a smoker and grill already I am inclined to keep a place to put a couple portable induction burners and maybe a way to get a wok super-hot (charcoal grate insert or turkey fryer burner).
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Gav
Sgt. Major

Post by Gav »

nafod wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:03 pm Built one in the backyard. Like building one of the pyramids, it was serious work, but it’s pretty @#$-ing cool. While it takes a while to get the oven up to full grunt at 800 degrees, once there, it takes about 90 seconds to cook a pizza.

It’s this design. Recommend it.
https://www.brickwoodovens.com/cortile-barile

OBTW, hand-mixing 2000 lbs of concrete is serious exercise.
🙈 the prices compared to here are insane.
davidc wrote:I've found standing on my head to be particularly useful

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

I got a large pizza stone that I put in my Weber for this very purpose. It works pretty well.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

syaigh wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:57 am I got a large pizza stone that I put in my Weber for this very purpose. It works pretty well.
Any idea how hot you get it?

We get our oven up to 800 degrees for cooking. Feels like you could smelt iron in the thing. Cook breads and veggies at 500-ish.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Gonna need weekly updates nafod. What's in the oven?
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Nothing for about a month. It’s been too hot plus a vacation. But I have a recipe for buffalo chicken pizza lined up for our first below 90 degree day.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

I hear you about the heat. A few years back I got tempted by the idea, but it's just too relentlessly hot here to justify it.