Opioid Pills in your 'hood

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Opioid Pills in your 'hood

Post by nafod »

For my county, there were 20,382,708 pain pills distributed 2006 - 2012. There are 162,000 people here. That's...

20 opioid pills per person per year, every year. Man, woman, and child. That's a lot of pills.

Check out your data.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... b58f6c8a01
Don’t believe everything you think.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Re: Opioid Pills in your 'hood

Post by Fat Cat »

You should throw a pizza and oxy party.

WTF?! This is total bullshit, Honolulu gets 15.8 but all the other counties got 40+. We get screwed AGAIN.
Last edited by Fat Cat on Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

nafod wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:41 pm For my county, there were 20,382,708 pain pills distributed 2006 - 2012. There are 162,000 people here. That's...

20 opioid pills per person per year, every year. Man, woman, and child. That's a lot of pills.

Check out your data.

OD death stats are completely out of control. Down last year, but still completely insane numbers.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

"B..bu..but industry will regulate itself. It's not like they want to kill their customers!"
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:01 pm
nafod wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:41 pm For my county, there were 20,382,708 pain pills distributed 2006 - 2012. There are 162,000 people here. That's...

Check out your data.

OD death stats are completely out of control. Down last year, but still completely insane numbers.
They're also not particularly accurate-- which probably means the problem is a lot worse than we think it is.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

Definitely overprescribed. But the pendulum now is starting to swing the other way: I have come across couple of publications on opioid free anesthesia. Why is it always all or nothing? Opioids, like absolutely every other drug, are useful in certain context, and their short term use around surgery is safe. Sure, now and then there is a case when someone uses Oxycodone for three days and then falls apart and becomes an addict. First, it's rare and second, I suspect in all of these cases there is an underlying problem, such as untreated depression etc. The problem is indiscriminant use of opioids for pain, especially chronic.

At the same time the use of Codeine - a mild opioid - has been vilified for use in kids. Guess what it has been replaced with? Oxycodone. Ban knives and replace them with handguns.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

Double