The Howling

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
motherjuggs&speed

The Howling

Post by motherjuggs&speed »

A few minutes ago the dogs in my neighborhood, seemingly all of them, did one of those collective howls but this one sounded different. I don't think I'm imagining that they are sounding more hostile and primal each day. They sense the anxiety of their people and it's setting them on edge.

As mentioned before, in addition to economic hardship, de facto martial law, and disruption of normal life, one thing I fear is the beast. I have seen the beast in SF after Rodney King and during blackouts in some cities. Things can come apart quickly. Around here it was communal (except for panic buying), then distantly communal, referring to attitude not space, then distant and impersonal, and a few days ago it seemed hostility had begun. When it's tranquil we forget this. Even in Roxbury it was mostly peaceable if not exactly peaceful. But things can turn. We don't know what we're fooling with here. I don't claim to know exactly what will happen but we haven't seen an experiment on this scale ever, and what we do know is that it doesn't take that much to tear apart the fabric of civilization.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Re: The Howling

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

People ( as a large society) seem to forget that we're at our core an animal that evolved to function best in a small and mobile family pack. That pack, much like a wolf pack, was probably very leery at best or most likely outright hostile to any pack that came too close. Just enough intermingling to keep the genetic pool from getting too shallow.
The only thing that's kept us able to tolerate the close quarters with our fellow humans is abundance. Take away that abundance and shit is going to hit the fan.
We're not in a position to get out of ATL right now, but I've got the home dense fairly well covered. Not sure how far the slide would go, but hopefully not that far. There's a large segment on the south side of ATL of very poor, uneducated, and definitely violent people who this society has shit on for generations. If things get really bad they're going to start by burning down everything around them and then march north.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

newguy
Sgt. Major

Post by newguy »

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:25 pm People ( as a large society) seem to forget that we're at our core an animal that evolved to function best in a small and mobile family pack. That pack, much like a wolf pack, was probably very leery at best or most likely outright hostile to any pack that came too close. Just enough intermingling to keep the genetic pool from getting too shallow.
The only thing that's kept us able to tolerate the close quarters with our fellow humans is abundance. Take away that abundance and shit is going to hit the fan.
We're not in a position to get out of ATL right now, but I've got the home dense fairly well covered. Not sure how far the slide would go, but hopefully not that far. There's a large segment on the south side of ATL of very poor, uneducated, and definitely violent people who this society has shit on for generations. If things get really bad they're going to start by burning down everything around them and then march north.
Don't worry. Rich and middle class neighborhoods don't get burnt down in the United States. Cops will be out in full force shooting before rioters get to the mid class neighborhoods.

I was a teen during the LA riots but it was very clear there were areas the riots were allowed to continue and fizzle and there was a line they could not cross.

Topic author
motherjuggs&speed

Post by motherjuggs&speed »

As much as I'm inclined to view the law and cops as tools of the oligarchy, I think I agree with that policy. They can't stop the riots without killing a lot of people so they do what can be done, and a line of force is in the intersection of their skill set/resources and what will do some good.