Glowing Dolphins

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Glowing Dolphins

Post by Bram »

https://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/cali ... aXCqCi_a5Y

Don't know if you have every swam in a red tide, but it's pretty magical and a bit gross :)

This beats any other video I've seen of it.
"If we are all going to be destroyed by the atomic bomb, let it find us doing sensible and human things—working, listening to music, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts—not huddled together like frightened sheep." — CS Lewis

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Re: Glowing Dolphins

Post by Fat Cat »

Wow that's really cool. That's caused by algae?
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

"Usually considered considered algae, dinoflagellates are mostly marine plankton."

"Dinoflagellates sometimes bloom in concentrations of more than a million cells per millilitre. Under such circumstances, they can produce toxins (generally called dinotoxins) in quantities capable of killing fish and accumulating in filter feeders such as shellfish, which in turn may be passed on to people who eat them. This phenomenon is called a red tide, from the color the bloom imparts to the water. Some colorless dinoflagellates may also form toxic blooms, such as Pfiesteria. Some dinoflagellate blooms are not dangerous. Bluish flickers visible in ocean water at night often come from blooms of bioluminescent dinoflagellates, which emit short flashes of light when disturbed."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinoflagellate

I went last night and watched the waves crashing like lightning in the clouds. Beautiful.
"If we are all going to be destroyed by the atomic bomb, let it find us doing sensible and human things—working, listening to music, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts—not huddled together like frightened sheep." — CS Lewis

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

That's really cool, we don't have that here. At least I've never seen it.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

That may be the only benefit of mainland beaches over Hawaii, and it's toxic. But if you're ever in Southern California it's worth visiting the beach at night to see if it's happening.