Is Hotlanta about to burn?

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Is Hotlanta about to burn?

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

Fat Cat wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:29 pm They burned that motha down.
Some white woman started the damned fire. There's good video of her lighting it off, and a $10k reward for her last I checked.
Again, it reeks of Antifa coming in and turning a protest into property destruction.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill »

seeahill wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:59 pm The Boogaloo Bois are involved.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... -carrillo/

As protests gripped Oakland on May 29, a white van pulled up outside a federal courthouse. A door slid open, and a man peppered the two security officers outside with bullets, killing one and wounding the other.

For a little over a week, the crime was a mystery. Was it tied to the protests just blocks away? Even after the suspected killer was dramatically caught in the nearby mountains eight days later, his motive was murky.

Now, federal authorities say the man, identified as Air Force Staff Sgt. Steven Carrillo, 32, was an adherent of the “boogaloo boys,” a growing online extremist movement that has sought to use peaceful protests against police brutality to spread fringe views and ignite a race war. Federal investigators allege that’s exactly what Carrillo was trying to do last month.

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

seeahill wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:44 pm

As protests gripped Oakland on May 29, a white van pulled up outside a federal courthouse. A door slid open, and a man peppered the two security officers outside with bullets, killing one and wounding the other.

For a little over a week, the crime was a mystery. Was it tied to the protests just blocks away? Even after the suspected killer was dramatically caught in the nearby mountains eight days later, his motive was murky.

Now, federal authorities say the man, identified as Air Force Staff Sgt. Steven Carrillo, 32, was an adherent of the “boogaloo boys,” a growing online extremist movement that has sought to use peaceful protests against police brutality to spread fringe views and ignite a race war. Federal investigators allege that’s exactly what Carrillo was trying to do last month.
There is one silver lining-- double jeopardy laws won't apply here.
https://www.militarydefense.com/Practic ... 20of%20law.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

seeahill wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:44 pm

There's no such thing as boogaloo boys, it's a joke made up on a forum not unlike our own.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

vern

Post by vern »

They're charging the cop with murder.

Supposedly the Atlanta cops are not showing up for work tonight.
“Wherever the crowd goes, run the other direction. They’re always wrong.” Bukowski

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

In their eagerness to charge every cop in sight, some of these DA's are setting up charges almost certain to fail. Under GA law for peace officers deadly force may be used when the officer:

(1) reasonably believes that the suspect possesses a deadly weapon or any object, device, or instrument which, when used offensively against a person, is likely to or actually does result in serious bodily injury;

(2) when the officer reasonably believes that the suspect poses an immediate threat of physical violence to the officer or others; or

(3) when there is probable cause to believe that the suspect has committed a crime involving the infliction or threatened infliction of serious physical harm." (numbering added)

Now the suspect just engaged in combat with the two officers, so I think that (3) may be applicable. I'm not super stoked about a cop shooting a fleeing suspect, but the guy was a four time felon, obviously violent, and was going to be headed back to prison for a long time. Under the law cited above, it's hard for me to see the guy getting convicted, even if he does seem a bit trigger happy to be an officer of the peace.

Also, holy fuck, these guys gotta learn to wrestle.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw »

You ever seen a cycling plumber who wrestles with small calves, forearms and neck? Didn't think so.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Some random thoughts...

Never bring a taser to a gun fight

If shooting a guy in the back while he runs away from me is wrong, I don't want to be right. Also, not rendering any medical assistance while be bleeds out. Bad look.

The guy was about as cooperative a drunk as you'll ever get. Up until he wasn't.

If he was high instead of drunk, would this have happened? Alcohol = bad.

The only drunk driving they actually observed him doing was when they told him to drive his car.

We don't want a society without police

Total appreciation for acting in the heat of the moment with split second decision making.

The whole thing is just a sad shit-show. I don't expect him to be found guilty.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

nafod wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:12 pmThe whole thing is just a sad shit-show. I don't expect him to be found guilty.
It's more than that-- will the city be forced to give him his job back? What will the reaction be?
I don't consider myself an expert, but this case seems to be in the grey area that almost always favors cops in court (and I don't expect he'll actually be tried in Fulton County-- which probably won't help racial tensions).
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Well apparently the Atlanta DA is under investigation for corruption: https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/fulton ... itive-case

And he's in a tight runoff, which may have contributed to his decision to charge the officers: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/da-election-brooks

And the Georgia Bureau of Investigation had no prior knowledge intention of his plans to charge the officers: https://allongeorgia.com/georgia-state- ... ooks-case/

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

104 shot, 14 fatally, over Father’s Day weekend in Chicago
Five children were among the 14 people killed, including a 3-year-old boy and 13-year-old girl killed in separate shootings in Austin on Saturday.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2020 ... 2-104-shot

HEY SPELLS DID YOU HOLD A VIGIL? DO YOU EVEN BLM? Why don't these black lives matter? Patiently explain to me how this is the fault of my structural white supremacy. Go slow and make it hurt, daddy.

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Fer benwald:

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

That dude is creepy and dumb. Not clicking.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Louisville next on the chopping block?

Brett Hankison, the former Louisville police officer who fatally shot Breonna Taylor, has been indicted by a grand jury on three counts of wonton endangerment in the first degree.

Two other officers involved in the March shooting -- Sgt. John Mattingly and Det. Myles Cosgrove -- were not charged following months of demonstrations calling for the arrests of all the officers. Anticipating unrest, city officials announced a Wednesday night curfew and closed off parts of downtown Louisville.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/23/us/breon ... index.html

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

AP-NORC poll: Support for racial injustice protests declines

The poll from The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research finds that 44% of Americans disapprove of protests in response to police violence against Black Americans, while 39% approve. In June, 54% approved. The new survey was conducted Sept. 11-14, before Wednesday’s announcement that a lone Louisville police officer would be charged in the Taylor case, but not for her actual death.

https://apnews.com/article/breonna-tayl ... 57ad9aaa0e

Not surprising to me at all. For every action, there is an opposing reaction...and people are likely to see just what the forces of reaction are all about.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

More that 200 people were arrested by Portland police and Oregon troopers last month, but charges have already been dismissed against 90%.

Multnomah County District Attorney's Office has decided to "presumptively decline to prosecute." The policy is designed to "focus limited prosecution resources on violent crimes that include property damage, assaultive behavior and actions that create a risk of injury or property destruction during a mass demonstration," according to the DA's office.

Indeed, most suspects have had their charges dropped or dismissed, some as soon as the day after their arrest. As of Oct. 5, charges had been dropped in around 90% of the cases stemming from September's protest activity.

https://pamplinmedia.com/pt/9-news/4831 ... protesters

Looks like we know who the Portland DA is voting for.